Why is intuition not prized in academia? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Why is intuition not prized in academia?

@muir

All I am saying there is that credentials mean almost nothing. At best they're a rule of thumb on who to listen to, and at worst they're a red herring.

I was never trying to disprove what she is saying. I was delivering a caveat.

All in all I really don't care. The fact that Monty Hall problem was the best I came up with should show that. I'm not interested and I don't appreciate the fact you're trying to browbeat me and are basically attacking me for no reason just because I made a couple offhand comments. I'd like for you to leave me alone at this point.

Hit and run

She knows more than you do

If you post shit in the thread i have a right to correct it...it's an adult public discussion board and adults take responsibility for what they say

Hit and run

She knows more than you do

If you post shit in the thread i have a right to correct it...it's an adult public discussion board and adults take responsibility for what they say

Yeah good job.

Reactions: Tin Man
anything to say relevant to the topic?

I'd like to add that the problem in the world is people locked in left brain thinking who are dismissive and rude towards right brain perspectives

They create an imbalanced and frankly fucked up world because they suck all the beauty out of it; all that's left is figures and measurements but humans are not robots

There's a good scene in the film 'dead poets society' where the teacher tells his students to rip out the pages of a book written by a left brained academic

The pages contain a formula for assessing the worth of poetry as if poetry can be assessed in such ways; the left brain moron who wrote the pages is trying to reduce the poetic creation of the human intuition down to a measurement formula because he does not understand the magic of poetry...he cannot understand what he cannot measure because he lacks the faculties so he tries to bring poetry down to his moronic level

The teacher played by robin williams rightly tells his students to rip the pages out and throw them in the bin because it is rot

[video=youtube;tpeLSMKNFO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpeLSMKNFO4[/video]

Last edited:
Reactions: sprinkles
I'd like to add that the problem in the world is people locked in left brain thinking who are dismissive and rude towards right brain perspectives

They create an imbalanced and frankly fucked up world because they suck all the beauty out of it; all that's left is figures and measurements but humans are not robots

There's a good scene in the film 'dead poets society' where the teacher tells his students to rip out the pages of a book written by a left brained academic

The pages contain a formula for assessing the worth of poetry as if poetry can be assessed in such ways; the left brain moron who wrote the pages is trying to reduce the poetic creation of the human intuition down to a measurement formula because he does not understand the magic of poetry...he cannot understand what he cannot measure because he lacks the faculties so he tries to bring poetry down to his moronic level

The teacher played by robin williams rightly tells his students to rip the pages out and throw them in the bin because it is rot

[video=youtube;tpeLSMKNFO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpeLSMKNFO4[/video]

Why do you feel that left brained thinking is moronic? Seems that you yourself are also unbalanced.

Why do you feel that left brained thinking is moronic? Seems that you yourself are also unbalanced.

No i think an imbalanced thinking geared only to the left brain is moronic

It cannot see past the end of its nose and yet it is always accompanied with a rigid dogmatic attitude

No i think an imbalanced thinking geared only to the left brain is moronic

It cannot see past the end of its nose and yet it is always accompanied with a rigid dogmatic attitude

You should send back your computer. I don't think it is fair to enjoy the fruits of left brained labor and then devalue it using technology made by the same.

Reactions: say what
You should send back your computer. I don't think it is fair to enjoy the fruits of left brained labor and then devalue it using technology made by the same.

What an ignorant statement!

Don't you realise that the best scientific leaps of the imagination come from intuition?

No right brain, no breakthroughs, no computer

The inventors use both their left and right brains

Left brain dominant people don't innovate they repeat

The left brain walks whilst the right brain teleports

What an ignorant statement!

Don't you realise that the best scientific leaps of the imagination come from intuition?

No right brain no breakthroughs, no computer

The left brain walks whilst the right brain teleports

Actually I would argue that this is irrelevant to intuition and I think in this case I know more than you. I'm very much right brained and I was a hacker. I made a database using ksh, sed, grep and awk. Because of right brained thinking I was able to conceive of a thing that was out of the norm. However without a strong left brain also, I never would have implemented it.

I can tell you I HAD to look at the dogma of computing to get it done. That was simply the only way because I needed to produce exact physical results and not just ideas. It was incredibly tough because I was being unconventional but STILL had to follow the rules because if I don't, the program simply refuses to work (or even worse, I cause damage to the system!)

Actually I would argue that this is irrelevant to intuition and I think in this case I know more than you. I'm very much right brained and I was a hacker. I made a database using ksh, sed, grep and awk. Because of right brained thinking I was able to conceive of a thing that was out of the norm. However without a strong left brain also, I never would have implemented it.

I can tell you I HAD to look at the dogma of computing to get it done. That was simply the only way because I needed to produce exact physical results and not just ideas. It was incredibly tough because I was being unconventional but STILL had to follow the rules because if I don't, the program simply refuses to work (or even worse, I cause damage to the system!)

Then you should join me in celebration of the right brain

We have two sides to the brain; optimal performance is achieved by using both

Denial of the validity of the right brain is what is holding us as a species back and academia plays a significant role in that

[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION]
Additionally I would argue that the right needs the left more than the other way around. From experience I can tell you how hard it is to know something and not be able to coherently explain it, let alone implement it.

I'm one of the most intuitive people I know and I most often 'know' things before I 'learn' them. I usually have the idea and then I have to go through the hoops to solidify it, not just for others but for myself too. Things do me no good to stay only in my head. I NEED the left brain for my own sanity!

With that said, academia is not the only way and it shouldn't be expected to handle things it isn't made for.

Reactions: Yatagarasu
@muir
Additionally I would argue that the right needs the left more than the other way around. From experience I can tell you how hard it is to know something and not be able to coherently explain it, let alone implement it.

I'm one of the most intuitive people I know and I most often 'know' things before I 'learn' them. I usually have the idea and then I have to go through the hoops to solidify it, not just for others but for myself too. Things do me no good to stay only in my head. I NEED the left brain for my own sanity!

With that said, academia is not the only way and it shouldn't be expected to handle things it isn't made for.

How we measure to what extent each side is necessary i don't know....and frankly i see it as pointless

Both are necessary, both are one, both are needed for the healthy functioning of our species

There is a deliberate move by the powers that be to suppress the right and elevate the left because it dissempowers us as a species and makes us more easily controlled

This is preventing our healthy operation as a sepcies and the evidence for that is all around us

How we measure to what extent each side is necessary i don't know....and frankly i see it as pointless

Both are necessary, both are one, both are needed for the healthy functioning of our species

There is a deliberate move by the powers that be to suppress the right and elevate the left because it dissempowers us as a species and makes us more easily controlled

This is preventing our healthy operation as a sepcies and the evidence for that is all around us

Well yeah. It's like how there's so many speed cubers and people who solved the Rubik's cube using a method that somebody else came up with. That's not really solving, toddlers can do that.
[video=youtube;Slzg2zIPVG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slzg2zIPVG8[/video]

People talk about how that is fake, or set up, or she got lucky - fact is it is just easy and is all about memorizing patterns. Cube solving that way is dead easy which is why that method is used for speed cubing.

However, not all speed cubers have actually solved the cube on their own. I'm both a speed cuber and one who actually solved it in a novel way without a method so I can tell the difference and it is a big one.

Well yeah. It's like how there's so many speed cubers and people who solved the Rubik's cube using a method that somebody else came up with. That's not really solving, toddlers can do that.
[video=youtube;Slzg2zIPVG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slzg2zIPVG8[/video]

People talk about how that is fake, or set up, or she got lucky - fact is it is just easy and is all about memorizing patterns. Cube solving that way is dead easy which is why that method is used for speed cubing.

However, not all speed cubers have actually solved the cube on their own. I'm both a speed cuber and one who actually solved it in a novel way without a method so I can tell the difference and it is a big one.

This is what i am talking about with innovators and repeaters

Once a person has innovated something the repeaters come in and repeat it

Repeaters can be VERY GOOD at repeating things

our education system is geared towards creating repeaters who repeat their training without questioning

Centralised command and control economies/systems like ours DO NOT LIKE innovative thought because it is a threat to the status quo

This is why many innovators are not recognised or given the credit they deserve in their lifetimes and many are suppressed or even destroyed by the system

Repeaters can repeat things very well and feel a deep sense of pride in repeating things well and they are often threatened by more mercurial people because they are unpredictable and cannot be measured and monitored so easily...they are an unknown and repeaters like predictability

The problem comes when in their competency at repeating repeaters forget that progress is dependent on visionaries...on those that make the leaps of imagination

Our system has been set up to reward repeaters and to suppress visionaries (unless they serve the system)

[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION]

Moreover people tend to not believe you can do something anyway. I still get asked to solve 'fast' like it's a big deal. I only average about 50 seconds which is really slow for somebody who knows what they are doing (it's mostly my fingers though)

There seems to be a "because I can't do it you must not be able to either" mentality at times which can be a bit annoying but I humor them. People like proof even for simple claims. Like I care that they doubt me.

@muir

Moreover people tend to not believe you can do something anyway. I still get asked to solve 'fast' like it's a big deal. I only average about 50 seconds which is really slow for somebody who knows what they are doing (it's mostly my fingers though)

There seems to be a "because I can't do it you must not be able to either" mentality at times which can be a bit annoying but I humor them. People like proof even for simple claims. Like I care that they doubt me.

Absolutely... i encounter that mindset a lot

Usually along the lines of: 'if i don't know that then you can't possibly know that'

Absolutely... i encounter that mindset a lot

Usually along the lines of: 'if i don't know that then you can't possibly know that'
Or more like "You think you know but I know different."