Why is intuition not prized in academia? | INFJ Forum

Why is intuition not prized in academia?

Artemisia

Community Member
May 20, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
I've always been miffed by the fact that academics (I am one too) in general don't seem to prize intuition. I am in a Social Science field and I dislike the fact that everytime I make a claim, almost all academics will ask "how do you know"? The worst part is that they will continue asking how do I know when I have gotten the right answer. Obviously I need to have knowledge to answer a question, but when I did in fact get the right answer, why are you trying to make me seem irrational and un-scientific?

Reactions: muir
Because intuition doesn't prove anything and looks like guess work.

Well, I would argue that in academia, being right takes a back seat to understanding why something is right or wrong (or at least being able to explain it). I trust my intuition very much, but I have to say that intuition is not the best way to handle every situation, especially if you have time to go beyond your instincts. Part of growth as an intuitive personality type is figuring out when and where it make sense, and when you need to call on your senses, either to confirm your intuition or to explain to yourself why your intuition is telling you what it is.

I was a philosophy major in college and had a favorite professor. Philosophy can be extremely convoluted and indirect in how it formulates the systems that it does, so you would think intuition is a great aid in getting good grades. As part of taking a philosophy course, you usually have to submit essay answers to hard questions either using your own formulation or using the formulation of the great philosophers we've known. My professor would say that sometimes students tell him: "I know the answer, I just can't explain it in an essay." And he would always reply, "If you cannot explain it, you don't know the answer enough." In academia, that makes sense. Intuition is a great way to get a start on how you would answer a question, but you owe it to yourself--and to whomever you are explaining to-- to lay out the groundwork for how others can share your vision.

That's my take!

Reactions: Infjente and the
"If you cannot explain it, you don't know the answer enough."

Wow, the guy obviously didn't know much about intuition, nor did he probably understand feelings or instincts well. So if you cannot explain the meaning of love, that means you don't know it? If you cannot explain to another person why you have a feeling that someone hates you, then it can't be true since you don't know the answer?
This is BS that rationalists try to pass off as philosophy.

Good question!

There's nothing that Ni cannot fathom if given the right materials

Ni could unlock the universe itself

And that's pretty much why it is feared by the system

The system is about maintaining the status quo...they don't want leaps forward!

Heck lots of scientists and academics have got lots invested in people buying into whatever paradigm they are pushing in their latest piece of research. If they don't do research they don't keep their academic post and they don't get the esteem of their learned collegues

The system maintains the status quo by encouraging LEFT brain thinking and discouraging creative RIGHT brain thinking. The system wants REPEATERS. It wants people it can train/teach to do certain tasks so that they can then regurgitate without question what they're taught or repeat their training without questioning things too much

Human creativity is evolutionary in its nature so it is a deep threat to those that would maintain the status quo

If you want to keep people thinking within a box what you do is control what they perceive to be possible. If you condition them to only believe certain things are possible then they will police their own thought after that, simply dismissing anything they encounter that comes outside the parameters of thought that were programmed into them by the system

The parameters of thought they have created tell us that we live in a solid physical world (as opposed to a waveform holographic universe). To keep us locked into that perception of reality we are conditioned to believe that only that which can be measured is real

But Ni is force that can pierce through their veils and for that reason it is dangerous to them

Wow, the guy obviously didn't know much about intuition, nor did he probably understand feelings or instincts well.

Oh, no, I disagree! If you had taken any classes with him, you'd think very different. But you can't judge on just that one statement. And that is the point.

So if you cannot explain the meaning of love, that means you don't know it? If you cannot explain to another person why you have a feeling that someone hates you, then it can't be true since you don't know the answer?

No no. He said, "You don't know it enough." That's the point. If you needed to explain every feeling, thought, idea you would be spending your life explaining (and that's a sad commentary on INFJ's if I ever heard one). But the really big answers, the really big questions, you can't settle for a vague conception. And certainly, in academia, you can't just start to formulate an idea and stop with that. You need to go all the way. Besides, can you imagine how frustrating it would be for a professor to try to grade answers to questions like "What does it mean to be?" with "I kinda like it."?

This is BS that rationalists try to pass off as philosophy.

I've heard that before, so I understand the sentiment. I once tried to argue that philosophy ought to be a core class taught from fifth-grade on, and was told that was ridiculous with a similar statement as yours. And you're not wrong. But I think you're not completely right either.

Another quick anecdote: Since I had taken several classes with this professor, I knew a little more of his background. As an undergrad, he was incredibly intelligent and went to Stanford University in the 60's, and immediately gravitated to philosophy. But, he hated the way they taught it. He said he found himself in a classroom, with a stodgy professor holding up a spoon on the first day and asking "What is this?" and telling everyone that gave an answer they were wrong and weren't thinking hard enough. He felt, as you do, that was BS. "What is thing?" directed towards a spoon is not a big question. Things like metaphysics drove him crazy; they pose as intellectuals and philosophers, but they don't actually have a concrete idea. That was what taught him to demand an answer to these questions, not mere raised eyebrows and knowing smirks and claims that the professor understands it on a level that the student can't hope to approach without years of staring at spoons.

He left Stanford in a huff and moved to Germany, where he studied directly under Hans Gadamer and even met an aging Heidegger before he died. He co-authored several books with Gadamer and wrote many of his own that were widely acclaimed. When he moved back to America, he found he was highly sought after by top universities to teach, and eventually landed a great position at Harvard. He taught for a year, and encountered EXACTLY the same problem he had fled Stanford because of.

I met and learned from him at a state university, and he taught there not because he couldn't get a better-paying job in a major world-renowned school, but because he wouldn't. And I really was lucky for that.

So, bottom line: don't be wooed by your intuition to think that it is the polar opposite of sensing and should be given even accord. It is not and should not. In nearly everything you do, including love and hate, you need to incorporate both intuition and sensing, and if you don't you are selling yourself and those activities short.

Sorry to be so long winded. I feel strongly about this, though, and hope my perspective helps a little bit.

Reactions: Gaze and Yatagarasu
Everything @Dave Fallon stated above. I posted a response near the end of the SOUL thread that also tried to highlight some of the consequences and effects of asserting intuitive insights as facts. It is a wonderful ability if used in combination with other functions. Being too focused on empirical evidence can make you narrow minded, in the same respect intuition has to be used and applied properly.

Last edited:
How is a purely intuitive discovery/answer in academia not the equivalent of saying " it is because I said so."? And how is that useful in teaching students to think?

My gut says you're right, but I can't back that up.

And I'm too lazy to bother.

Reactions: Quiet
Intuition is highly prized in academia. Moreso in the real world. What you see people like Elon Musk doing is intuition in action.

Unless you're talking about intuition like being able to read auras, etc. Like, gleaning interpersonal information through psychic channels or whatever. Then it's not prized because it's not compatible with the scientific method. It has no practical value.

Academia is in this era and culture based on hard evidence. Intuition makes statements but doesn't give explanations.

I always remembered the structure PEE (Point, Evidence, Explanation). Intuition alone can only make the point.

I'm reading Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock at the moment and he is suggesting that there were civilisations way before what is acknowledged by academics.

The book opens with geological evidence about the movement of continents and there is the statement of a hypothesis, clearly from intuition. He took years and travelled the world to follow his intuition and prove as best he could that his instinct was correct. Einstein had moments of intuitive thought and then worked for decades on what came through.

Academia is windy, obsessive and I suspect a means not an end for many in their fields as much as it is for discovery and putting theory into practice.

Intuition cuts through that but I understand being drawn to academia anyway.

I've always been miffed by the fact that academics (I am one too) in general don't seem to prize intuition. I am in a Social Science field and I dislike the fact that everytime I make a claim, almost all academics will ask "how do you know"? The worst part is that they will continue asking how do I know when I have gotten the right answer. Obviously I need to have knowledge to answer a question, but when I did in fact get the right answer, why are you trying to make me seem irrational and un-scientific?

Because its academia, they can't base their knowledge on your particular brand of intuition.

Academia is in this era and culture based on hard evidence. Intuition makes statements but doesn't give explanations.

I always remembered the structure PEE (Point, Evidence, Explanation). Intuition alone can only make the point.

I'm reading Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock at the moment and he is suggesting that there were civilisations way before what is acknowledged by academics.

The book opens with geological evidence about the movement of continents and there is the statement of a hypothesis, clearly from intuition. He took years and travelled the world to follow his intuition and prove as best he could that his instinct was correct. Einstein had moments of intuitive thought and then worked for decades on what came through.

Academia is windy, obsessive and I suspect a means not an end for many in their fields as much as it is for discovery and putting theory into practice.

Intuition cuts through that but I understand being drawn to academia anyway.

Academia is the blind leading the blind

Because intuition is language of the soul and science has still failed to prove it's existence. Perhaps there is no room for different perspectives in academia if the method of understanding and picking up information does not follow the scientific method.

Reactions: muir
Because intuition is language of the soul and science has still failed to prove it's existence. Perhaps there is no room for different perspectives in academia if the method of understanding and picking up information does not follow the scientific method.

Yes. The scientific method. That's what all hard academics follow and judge a piece of work by before writing style or anything. That's the bedrock.

I failed my dissertation because I didn't put in the effort in this department. I could often blag it with shorter, less focussed essays and say what I felt where appropriate.

The way [MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION] posts is how you evidence academic essays. Though you'll have to reference just snippets of the longer documentaries. :p

I've heard someone describe many metaphysical experiences as being 'objective experiences that can only be experienced subjectively' so clearly the scientific method is out of the picture if that is the case. That's more or less the definition of a fact though so now you're into some epoch changing shit. Are you ready for that? Personally, I would hear out these stupid fuckers and see if there is any sweetcorn in the shit. There will be because they're not totally stupid and inept and entire academic departments aren't built on complete and utter bullshit. Acknowledge that and show them how you're building on existing ideas that you have a thorough understanding of.

If you know you enemy you can pick your battles and still always pass when you can't be arsed and just want a good grade.

Reactions: Solongo
I believe that what we like to call an intuition is merely a subconscious interpretation of external information that we receive through all of our senses.

The way @muir posts is how you evidence academic essays. Though you'll have to reference just snippets of the longer documentaries. :p

I spent years in their left brain university mind prison system before achieveing my freedom

I do always try to reference my sources though not only to give credit where it is due but also so that people can then explore those things themselves if they wish

Many of the best insights, skills and knowledge i gained from people who never went to university

Last edited:
I think it's because academia is about collaborative work with shared knowledge. That means that the ability to keep everyone on the same page with each other is valued. It's not that intuition in itself is not valued, but without any means to express or use what is gleaned from it effectively then it's just... intuition.