Why do you care about your type? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why do you care about your type?

It's another fun thing to think about that keeps my mind off other stuff.

Reactions: Tin Man
"If you kicked the person in the butt who was responsible for your problems, you wouldn't sit for a week." :)

How does one kick oneself in butt?

I don't anymore. Initially it was a way to learn more about myself; I'm still interested in that, just not via the MBTI. To give a rough idea why: the theory feels clunky on some level. Incomplete, maybe, not elegant. There are gems of truth hidden here and there, but overall it's not.. I guess, polished? to the point where it would make complete, intuitive sense to me. It's like a patchwork shirt.

[MENTION=2109]WellNoWonder[/MENTION]: Did you figure out which direction you're going to go from here? :-D

I currently believe that my personality is getting in the way of my finding happiness. I think that if I can find the reason why, I can work to change it in a way that may allow me to find what I am looking for. Also, for my entire life I have felt different than the people around me, even my closest friends. Because I am the type of person to ask "why" about everything, I am naturally curious and cant put the question down.

I feel my type INFP really does show who I am. I am also a Type 4 Romantic with Neptune Rising. So you know.. it goes. :D

I think it's kind of like why people pick up smoking. If you cool kids never started using MBTI, well then I wouldn't be in this predicament, would I?

Reactions: Radiantshadow
[MENTION=2109]WellNoWonder[/MENTION]: Did you figure out which direction you're going to go from here? :-D

I've not.
And I apologize for taking so long to respond. I feel like a scattered 500-piece puzzle that is waiting to be solved.

I don't care to be scattered for too long. The world needs us.

The MBTI is not an all encompassing system and has numerous flaws in it's depiction of personality. You don't see this dedication with other personality systems and I cannot understand why people spend so much time dwelling on it.

I don't really care about my type. But I also asked one of those "Type me" threads, but with emphasis on MBTI in combination with Enneagram. I think I asked it because I wanted to know whether those two models "hold" if you put them "under pressure", i.e. if you test them with definitions or subjects that lie at the border of their explanatory capacity, because that's usually where models break. And if it does, whether it reveals something that wasn't recognizable before.

As it stands, I think the cognitive functions gives you a useful set of concepts that are less ambiguous than the usual categories in (academically recognized) psychology. I mostly use the first 2 cognitive functions to identify the structure of a person's mind. I think beyond that, the model breaks apart (or I simply do not have the cognitive capacity to identify deeper orders). That gives you two vectors. Add Enneagram (which I rarely use) and you have 3 vectors.

But mostly I go with intuition and only use the cognitive functions as some sort of "double check". Short answer: To test the explanatory capacity of MBTI as a possible means to understand myself and others better.