Why do people believe in MBTI even with no evidence? | INFJ Forum

Why do people believe in MBTI even with no evidence?

The_Mysterious_Stranger

Community Member
Aug 12, 2016
A dream within a dream
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
146 so/sx
Since almost the widespread inception of the internet, and perhaps before that with books, MBTI has become a sort of religion, people believing these 16 types without any evidence. I wonder, what attracts people to it? I suppose humans like to see patterns in things, even if there may not be, a confirmation bias. I guess it also gives a sense of "community" and "tribalism." With random mutations, it seems like we all may be unique and that there aren't really any common types among people. However, maybe we really aren't that different as we may think.

It would be mildly interesting to see if there is any correlation of OCEAN / BIG 5 among the 16 types. intuitive types tend to all have openers to experience in common. F types perhaps have more agreeableness and neuroticism. Thinking types have more disagreeableness. Sensing types have conscientiousness in common.

Since almost the widespread inception of the internet, and perhaps before that with books, MBTI has become a sort of religion, people believing these 16 types without any evidence. I wonder, what attracts people to it? I suppose humans like to see patterns in things, even if there may not be, a confirmation bias. I guess it also gives a sense of "community" and "tribalism."

You are right on people have many motives on why they believe in MBTI because some people want to identify as a particular MBTI type for whatever reason, some want to belong to a particular type, etc. primitive reasons but it's not really the fundamental reason. The fundamental reason is it's because of how the brain works. Brain's purpose is making sense the perceived reality by finding answers by defining, determining, finding connections, etc. no matter if it's just made up or proven because it has to believe in something to function. Most people tend to choose the easy way because they prefer positive emotions and gaining more with less effort therefore they believe in any BS that makes them feel better.

About evidence, psychology is a field that is hard to find evidence but MBTI has its evidence enough in a neurological way as, for example, how the brain of a Ni user works is different than people who don't use Ni, et cetera. Also, only a fool ignores the obvious fact that those who have the same MBTI type show similar behaviours. Just ask uncle google for evidence on that. You may think the evidence ain't good enough to make you believe in it, then suit yourself, it's a different matter.

My only complaint about MBTI is, MBTI ain't a personality theory but a behaviour theory as the rest of the pseudo-personality theories that currently exist. Anyone who had a high school level psychology and biology class already knows every people has a unique personality therefore you can't group people with "personality types". because what makes us who we are is our genes, chemical difference in our body that affect our psyche and the life we had. It's impossible for two people to have the same life therefore even twins who were always close to each other have different personalities. Even as a behaviour theory it's a bad theory because it lacks many functions, it's not good enough about how people use functions and how functions really affect behaviour, etc. stuff — it's too simple and deficient. For example, Se functions are currently like a Joker function for a lot of cognitive processes, MBTI currently missing some types like Te-Ni-Fe-Si and whatnot for some excuse and why people can't have, for example, Te and Ti in their function stack is kinda nonsense.

With random mutations, it seems like we all may be unique and that there aren't really any common types among people. However, maybe we really aren't that different as we may think.

All life forms are the same on the biological programming part especially about survival and producing which makes the life forms behave in the same way. What makes life forms different is their personalities.

Currently primitive people even though they are a "scientist" consider humans are unique in their own way because they believe; consciousness, personalities, etc. are a quiddity which is exclusive only for humans but it's actually characteristic of a life form that is evolved in a particular degree therefore like humans other animals have consciousness and personality too, crows have gang mentality like humans does, whales name each other, they have a society pretty much similar to humans as whales have particular roles in their own society, et cetera et cetera.

eb7c615c2347788ce9fc9c2501fdc10e5f19cacf688942caff5b835f9b1c5df7.jpg

It would be mildly interesting to see if there is any correlation of OCEAN / BIG 5 among the 16 types. intuitive types tend to all have openers to experience in common. F types perhaps have more agreeableness and neuroticism. Thinking types have more disagreeableness. Sensing types have conscientiousness in common.

There is actually:

• Openness to experience (inventive/curious vs. consistent/cautious): Ne users inventive/curious while Ni users are consistent/cautious.

• Conscientiousness (efficient/organized vs. extravagant/careless): XXXJs are efficient/organized while XXXPs are extravagant/careless.

• Extraversion (outgoing/energetic vs. solitary/reserved): EXXXs are outgoing/energetic while IXXXs are solitary/reserved.

But being extrovert and introvert is different than extrovert and introvert behaviour therefore, for example, just because someone is an extrovert doesn't mean they won't prefer to be alone.

• Agreeableness (friendly/compassionate vs. challenging/callous): Fe users are friendly/compassionate while Fi users are challenging/callous, especially Fi + Te users.

• Neuroticism (sensitive/nervous vs. resilient/confident): Unhealthy Fi users are sensitive/nervous while healthy Fi users are resilient/confident.

You see, OCEAN/Big 5 is actually rip off of MBTI but it's deficient about Ti and Te functions.

Last edited:
Reactions: David54
Since almost the widespread inception of the internet, and perhaps before that with books, MBTI has become a sort of religion, people believing these 16 types without any evidence. I wonder, what attracts people to it? I suppose humans like to see patterns in things, even if there may not be, a confirmation bias. I guess it also gives a sense of "community" and "tribalism." With random mutations, it seems like we all may be unique and that there aren't really any common types among people. However, maybe we really aren't that different as we may think.

Have you read this:
https://www.jungiananalysts.org.uk/...ected-Works-Volume-6_-Psychological-Types.pdf

Jung presents a large amount of justification for his typology here, and makes it clear that it was developed based upon the empirical evidence of his casework, supported by philosophical typological precedents across over 2000 years of history. I think this amounts to a great deal of evidence for the underlying ideas behind MBTI, which was an expansion of his ideas. I think it's quite possible to attack MBTI and question the validity of its theoretical and evidential basis, but I don't think that the typology lacks evidence - on the contrary, it requires a degree of scholarship and persistence to assimilate Jung's material because of the depth and breadth of thought behind it. Jung may well have taken considerable exception, though, to the way his typology is applied under the MBTI heading.

Correction:
• Neuroticism (sensitive/nervous vs. resilient/confident): Unhealthy Fi users are sensitive/nervous while healthy Fi users are resilient/confident.
• Neuroticism (sensitive/nervous vs. resilient/confident): Unhealthy Fi users are sensitive/nervous while healthy *Fe* users are resilient/confident.

And yep, @biwaly, I appreciate your analysis of the OCEAN traits. Thanks for helping me understand the concepts better! :wink:

Do you think people who have a healthy Fe but have an unhealthy Fi are resilient/confident too? If so, why do you think so?

BTW, I actually meant "unhealthy/healthy Fi" as "Fi that works properly/doesn't works properly".

Well, I believe that most people unhealthy Fe can be nervous because they are concerned about people's opinions and thoughts about themselves. But I say that people healthy Fe who have an unhealthy Fi can be resilient/confident in that they show courage when they are defending the underdogs.
And I do believe that unhealthy Fi can be sensitive to criticism because some of them are prone to believe that other people's beliefs could violate their own.

Oh, my apologies for miscorrecting you. @biwaly :sweatsmile:

Do you think people who have a healthy Fe but have an unhealthy Fi are resilient/confident too? If so, why do you think so?

BTW, I actually meant "unhealthy/healthy Fi" as "Fi that works properly/doesn't works properly".

Perhaps higher Fi in function stack is linked to neuroticism and higher thinking / Fe functions are less neurotic? However, I think any type can be neurotic. MBTI types are preferences, not behavior.

Well, I believe that most people unhealthy Fe can be nervous because they are concerned about people's opinions and thoughts about themselves. But I say that people healthy Fe who have an unhealthy Fi can be resilient/confident in that they show courage when they are defending the underdogs.
And I do believe that unhealthy Fi can be sensitive to criticism because some of them are prone to believe that other people's beliefs could violate their own.

Fe is actually a function that makes Fe users focus on people, not that it makes Fe users care about others, what people think and feel about themselves, et cetera. Caring about what people think and feel about themselves actually about being a primitive person because of having low IQ therefore despite healthy/unhealthy Fe, people who have low IQ care about such stuff but those who have high enough IQ is aware that no matter what some people will think and feel X about themselves while others think and feel Y about themselves because it's subjective therefore there is no point in caring about such stuff.

Then you may ask "umm, then why Fe people helps others, why they care about group harmony therefore they decide in a way to make everyone benefit as much as possible" etc. which would be a good question. Fe users who are like that are good people. Because they use Fe, they are more aware of others' POV therefore if they are a good person, they will be negatively affected if something bad happens to others. On the other hand, bad Fe users ain't negatively affected when something bad happens to people. Bad Fe users are actually manipulative which they use people for their own selfish gain. If you ever knew an evil ENFJ then you know what I mean, LOL.

Difference between unhealthy and healthy Fe is not something some people believe in. BTW, "healthy" ain't about morality but about if it works properly in a way that doesn't endanger survival, so, for example, unhealthy Fe users actually don't have to be manipulative for their own selfish gain to considered to have an unhealthy Fe. Unhealthy Fe users actually are too focused on others therefore they don't realize what's happening about themselves, they prioritize others over themselves, they literally accept to be a slave of others, etc. while healthy Fe users are aware of what's happening about themselves even when they are focused on people, they prioritize themselves over others, they know when to say no and yes, et cetera.

Perhaps higher Fi in function stack is linked to neuroticism and higher thinking / Fe functions are less neurotic? However, I think any type can be neurotic. MBTI types are preferences, not behavior.

Neuroticism actually about having unhealthy self-esteem and inability to perceive reality properly because of unhealthy logical and emotional processing therefore people who have an unhealthy Fi + low IQ + low EQ are prone to be neurotic despite their higher thinking / Fe functions.

Reactions: SanzoCklei