Why do people believe conspiracy theories? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why do people believe conspiracy theories?

We have helicopters and planes (usually passenger planes) fly over our house often (in my opinion). At least once a month, usually more often. I've seen a chinook once, it was really cool actually. I'm not worried at all of them spying on me or threatening me

IMHO, planes, usually the smaller or domestic sort sometimes fly over my house. F-16s going really damn fast, almost that illegal speed!, not so often. I've sat in an F-16! but not while it was going mach 1 almost (though I wish), and puking hamburger that reminded me of a rotten carcass sitting out in the sun too long and speaking with a being calling itself Raphael, into my face after all sorts of weird "dreams". Probably just the undiagnosed schizophrenia talking, am I right? Or are both of us brain-dead (I can live with that so long as I don't have to watch this shite anymore)? Unfortunately for me though, I get the feeling I'm stuck in a cesspit for a while.;)

Last edited:
Yes, there are definitely theories out there that are insidious or more than a little whacked out in their reasoning, but anything that calls into question the official story given by the government or any official source can be technically considered a 'conspiracy theory.' Personally, I find it rather alarming to see people misguidedly building it out to be a pejorative as it starts to dismiss or shut down out-of-the-box thinking of any kind, reasonable or unreasonable.

Not everyone who believes in conspiracy theories is mentally ill or in need of some kind of ego crutch, much like not all conspiracy theories are all that far-fetched or necessarily in the spirit of 'having all the answers.' Questioning our leaders, examining their motivations and staying informed is a way to perform checks and balances in our society. People in government and other positions of power are human. And they do have the power and the means to step out of line. See any top number list about the conspiracy theories that turned out to be true. A lot of them are quite alarming, such as COINTELPRO.

Open discussion about these kinds of subjects is necessary, even if sometimes people's opinions drastically deviate from the norm. In the end, you have to use your noodle and decide for yourself what ideas what you want to entertain and which one's you'd rather leave untouched... especially if you get the impression the person is not all there.

But I don't think it's right to immediately equate 'conspiracy theory' with 'lunacy' or 'psychological crutch.'

Reactions: muir
Yes, there are definitely theories out there that are insidious or more than a little whacked out in their reasoning, but anything that calls into question the official story given by the government or any official or source can be technically considered a conspiracy theory. Personally, I find it rather alarming to see people misguidedly building it out to be a pejorative as it starts to dismiss or shut down out-of-the-box thinking of any kind, reasonable or unreasonable.

Not everyone who believes in conspiracy theories is mentally ill or in need of some kind of ego crutch, much like not all conspiracy theories are all that far-fetched or necessarily in the spirit of 'having all the answers.' Questioning our leaders, examining their motivations and staying informed is a way to perform checks and balances in our society. People in government and other positions of power are human. And they do have the power and the means to step out of line. See any top number list about the conspiracy theories that turned out to be true. A lot of them are quite alarming, such as COINTELPRO.

Open discussion about these kinds of subjects is necessary, even if sometimes people's opinions drastically deviate from the norm. In the end, you have to use your noodle and decide for yourself what ideas what you want to entertain and which one's you'd rather leave untouched... especially if you get the impression the person is not all there.

But I don't think it's right to immediately equate 'conspiracy theory' with 'lunacy' or 'psychological crutch.'

Thats a refreshingly clear, intelligent and balanced view

Thankyou for restoring some sanity to this completely biased thread

IMHO, planes, usually the smaller or domestic sort sometimes fly over my house. F-16 going really damn fast, almost that illegal speed!, not so often. I've sat in an F-16! but not while it was going mach 1 almost (though I wish), and puking hamburger that reminded me of a rotten carcass sitting out in the sun too long and speaking with a being calling itself Raphael, into my face after all sorts of weird "dreams". Probably just the undiagnosed schizophrenia talking, am I right? Or are both of us brain-dead (I can live with that so long as I don't have to watch this shite anymore)? Unfortunately for me though, I get the feeling I'm stuck in a cesspit for a while.;)

I would be more concerned that they are training for some sort of military campaign that could escalate

I would be more concerned that they are training for some sort of military campaign that could escalate

So long as I get taken out by the first salvo, it's all good, because these sheep "bah" crucifixitions and the like.

Reactions: Skarekrow
Why do people not believe in conspiracy theories?

Reactions: muir
So long as I get taken out by the first salvo, it's all good, because these sheep "bah" crucifixitions and the like.

There is a lot of military hardware flying about here in the UK at the moment as well and i just wonder if we are seeing preparations for something

I used to think it was to go into syria but now the focus seems to have shifted to Iraq

They appear desperate to get close enough to menace Iran

Why do people not believe in conspiracy theories?

Very good question!

A person who is interested in seeking the truth knows that they don't have all the answers but a person who is afraid of the truth tries to halt that process of seeking; 'conspiracy theorists' are on an open, evolving journey of discovery

So the seeker of truth will discard old perceptions as they become redundant but a person who is heavily invested in a particular perception may struggle to let go of it

For example...lets say someone has spent a lot of time, money and effort gaining a qualification in a subject for example sociology where they have been told a version of reality by the people who control that academic course (other regimes in other countries might present a totally different view of reality); their ego might have a lot invested in the perceptions that have been given to them by their course administrators

For example they might feel that their academic qualification is an important part of their identity. They might have built their confidence around the feeling that they have found all the answers through their academic pursuits when really the academic road is a state sanctioned stage managed propaganda fest!

They might have pursued a career through what they have learned and they might have built up their world view from their studies

So their entire identity as they have constructed it might be dependent on maintaining faith in the perceptions of reality that have been served upto them by certain academics (who all have THEIR own agendas)

if their gospel truth is then threatened by new information their ego defences rise up because they feel that an attack on their perception of reality is an attack on their own identity and because they perceive their identity to be themselves they perceive the challenge to their perception of reality to be an attack on their very person

So for those who are bogged down in one academic quagmire and have thereby halted their own progress on the path to truth new views are going to be very threatening indeed...because to assimilate those new truths would mean they have to accept that all that they felt so sure about is in fact dust in the wind

Not many people are comfortable being that vulnerable

[h=1]“Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself.” ~ Timothy Leary[/h]

Last edited:
Reactions: dudemanbro
There is a lot of military hardware flying about here in the UK at the moment as well and i just wonder if we are seeing preparations for something

I used to think it was to go into syria but now the focus seems to have shifted to Iraq

They appear desperate to get close enough to menace Iran

Or a disgruntled third party wants to make it look that way. Who knows anymore unless you're one of the crazies doing these things.

Or a disgruntled third party wants to make it look that way. Who knows anymore unless you're one of the crazies doing these things.

The crazies control the politicians and the politicians control the military

Its like Gilad Atzmon said in a recent interview....the powerful lobby groups realised that it is far cheaper to buy a congressman than it is to buy a tank because if you control the congressman you control the tanks and their crews

Last edited:
The crazies control the politicians and the politicians control the military

Its like Gilad Atmon said in a recent interview....the powerful lobby groups realised that it is far cheaper to buy a congressman than it is to buy a tank because of you control the congressman you control the tanks and their crews

But it probably wasn't the congressman who got bought out who stirred up all of this stuff to begin with.

But it probably wasn't the congressman who got bought out who stirred up all of this stuff to begin with.

No they are the middle managers

The real movers and shakers aren't unseated from their positions of influence through such mere trivialities as elections

Look at the clip i posted above...someone like Bzrezinski is still there decades later dictating to politicians what they should do

The most interesting in the article was the one about the Jews.

I don't care about Obama much, fluoride could well be bad but I'm not helping myself to be fair and I rarely think about Bill Clinton.

Events I can't be arsed to research. I look at power structures and the consolidation of wealth and power in a world that is becoming more globally cohesive. I already know people in power abuse that power so I don't trust them by default and think that is fair. I'm not optimistic about government. So, for me, the potential for massive conspiracy is there and becoming more and more as time goes on, especially in the US from what I can tell. You can always go (at least) two ways on anything but there do seem to be strong forces steering us in a negative direction. I don't think that is just capitalism (gone awry). Wealth does move quite freely but power doesn't. America has the illusion going strongest that your class is based on your wealth but it isn't true...there are cultures in high places that aren't impressed by wealth alone. In Britain and other places the class system is still quite apparant despite big TVs being affordable for many people.

Reactions: Skarekrow
Like I said. I hate how conspiracy theorists always seem to jump to conclusions with no ACTUAL evidence to support their claims. Usually in an assumed negative light. Have you ever heard a conspiracy theory that was someone was trying to do good? I haven't :(. Maybe they exist though, I've never tried to find one. That's another reason why I very much dislike conspiracy theories. They seem to refuse to accept that something could actually be simple and not some massive conspiracy, or that the world or person could actually be doing good. I see conspiracy theories as just alternative explanations of situations discussed or proven with pseudoscience. That's why I don't agree with it generally. If they can prove it with science, then I would most definitely agree. And I also think some of them might be right. It's just conspiracy theorists in general are terrible at science. Therefore what they talk about is not reliable in my opinion. One of the worst versions are those who refuse to consider alternate view points to them and blame others for not considering their alternate "truth". Blaming others for being closed minded when they themselves are closed minded.

Conspiracy theories are just shoddy at best for reliability. Yes, some are occasionally correct, but for every one that is correct, I'd bet another hundred are blatantly wrong. Like all those theories about how we were all going to die on 12/21/2012.
Just to many presumptions, to many assumptions, to much guess work, and not enough actual testing and proving. I don't like making myself susceptible to being wrong that often. It's just not reliable. That's why science is better. At least science can admit when it's wrong and move on and learn from that.

IMHO, planes, usually the smaller or domestic sort sometimes fly over my house. F-16s going really damn fast, almost that illegal speed!, not so often. I've sat in an F-16! but not while it was going mach 1 almost (though I wish)

That sounds like fun! I would want to ride in a plane like that, but I doubt I'll ever be able to. Maybe some day if given the opportunity I would.

For me its just the general unreliability and use of pseudoscience and tendency to make to many assumptions and not verify those assumptions.

I thought I got eaten alive in politics, but you wouldn't make it far my friend, if you never plan for things that might happen or are happening that you don't know about.

I believe people want to think something larger is going on in the background rather than believe no one really knows what the f is going on.

I thought I got eaten alive in politics, but you wouldn't make it far my friend, if you never plan for things that might happen or are happening that you don't know about.

I never have enjoyed politics. Never found an interest in the topic. However, being able to plan for things that might happen or are happening can be done within the realm of science. Not pseudoscience. Plus there's a difference between planning for things and claiming things to be true. We are ready for a zombie apocalypse, but that doesn't mean we think one will happen. And I would argue conspiracy theories are in no way even useful in that respect. The only thing conspiracy theories are good for in my mind is coming up with radical ideas. They are terrible at supporting/proving them. And just coming up with an idea does not make it true, even though some people seem to think it does :(. It's not really until a conspiracy theory has transferred into the realm of science (meaning has had some actual evidence put forth) do I start to find it reasonable. Even then, it depends on if that evidence seems reasonable, if there is sufficient evidence, and if I find myself personally convinced will I agree with such an idea. Usually I never reach the last stage. I usually have a different perspective than the conspiracy theory. A good example of this in my opinion is paranormal things (if that can be considered a conspiracy theory). I do think something is there, I just don't know what it is. I think science needs to do a LOT of work in that field, but I also think it is something that is in need of study.

Because paranoia is still more fun than boredom?

A teacher at my high school was obsessed with the Kennedy assassination and would spend like a month teaching his class about it. I had heard about it, and one day I was sent to his class room (for an unrelated presentation) and there just happened to be a diagram on the chalkboard of the street that the president was driving on when he was shot. I don't know how people can care so much about stuff like that. There is already a ton of bad stuff going on in the world that we definitely know is happening. What do they plan to do about it?