[INFJ] - Why do I cry so easily? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Why do I cry so easily?

Shinehah

Dec 23, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
I'm an INFJ. When I feel moved, I often feel like crying and sometimes do start crying. Hence instead of feeling the feeling of the content of the experience, I feel like crying. Hence I miss the experience of the music or movie I am listening to or watching. Is it a feature of an INFJ to feel like crying when I'm moved?

Let it out.

Remember to pause what you're watching or listening to beforehand though. Otherwise you'll miss it.

Why do you think you are not able to appreciate the content at the same time as experiencing emotions about it? I don't think I understand that idea. Consuming artistic products is a fundamentally emotional experience for me, as well as an intellectual experience - I wouldn't know how to separate the two.

Why do you think you are not able to appreciate the content at the same time as experiencing emotions about it? I don't think I understand that idea. Consuming artistic products is a fundamentally emotional experience for me, as well as an intellectual experience - I wouldn't know how to separate the two.

Maybe it's really hard to see because his eyes are so filled with tears?

Reactions: acd
Maybe it's really hard to see because his eyes are so filled with tears?

That strikes me as kind of like saying it's hard to see because your eyes blink. You're unlikely to miss crucial details because of crying a bit. Is it really that necessary to exhaustively process every aspect of an artistic product? Arts academics tend to deliberately limit their analytical perspectives in order to focus on what is most important to them - they don't necessarily seek to mine every part of meaning from what they are studying. It's normal to get a little teary, it doesn't mean you're doing the product injustice.

I am not able to experience the feeling for the content because I get a different feeling when I cry about it.

That strikes me as kind of like saying it's hard to see because your eyes blink. You're unlikely to miss crucial details because of crying a bit. Is it really that necessary to exhaustively process every aspect of an artistic product? Arts academics tend to deliberately limit their analytical perspectives in order to focus on what is most important to them - they don't necessarily seek to mine every part of meaning from what they are studying. It's normal to get a little teary, it doesn't mean you're doing the product injustice.

I don't think my crying is normal. I've been diagnosed with clinical depression. I think it's the depression that causes me to cry.

I am not able to experience the feeling for the content because I get a different feeling when I cry about it.

I'm not completely sure that there is really any such thing as a "pure" artistic experience. If there is such a kind of experience, I think it is not an every day sort of experience, but a very unusual sort of experience. So I think it is OK to experience artistic products in ways that are conflicted or incomplete.

I think many artists, having poured their hearts into the creation of their products, would be somewhat flattered to learn that the things that they had made had moved people to tears.

I don't think my crying is normal. I've been diagnosed with clinical depression. I think it's the depression that causes me to cry.

Oh, OK. Good luck with your depression journey! I was hospitalised for chronic and acute depression with psychotic features 3 times in my early 20's. It seems like a bleak road at times, but the more work you do on the problems, it does get easier. Keep working towards a better future, you will get there!

High emotionality in the form of sensitivity could be related to the Big 5 factor not too related to F, ie Neuroticism.
But eg if you're crying out of a combination of tenderness and sadness/sensitivity that's likely both at work not just one.

Reactions: Elegant Winter
Oh, OK. Good luck with your depression journey! I was hospitalised for chronic and acute depression with psychotic features 3 times in my early 20's. It seems like a bleak road at times, but the more work you do on the problems, it does get easier. Keep working towards a better future, you will get there!

Thanks for sharing that with me and for your encouragement.

Thanks for sharing that with me and for your encouragement.

That's OK!!

It is difficult to feel that you might not be able to control your crying, but it's OK to cry. Just keep enjoying the things that you usually enjoy as well as you can, don't let your crying get in the way of you enjoying those things that you love, even if you can't enjoy those things to the full capacity that you normally would.

Don't be afraid to post other advice threads on the forum, or on other forums that you think might help you. No one will really understand exactly what you are going through, but people might understand little parts of it that could help you in different ways.

The future is not yet determined - not everything about the future can be controlled, but we can make a new future that will be rewarding. See if you can picture yourself being protected in a beautiful safe place, and plan out the future you will build for yourself.

Perhaps you spend too much time indoors watching TV and listening to music.

Maybe it's sensitivity? I cry really easily too because being so sensitive.

Somehow I think we are able to feel the essence of something and it enters our essence. Ugh. So weird writing this. So, perhaps there is a co-mingling and or a partaking of the energy of whatever it is. Kind of diffuses like ink in water. Pervasive. Then it's everywhere inside you and something clicks. Maybe the nature of the empath. Our Ni consumes and processes this also at the same time metabolizing so to speak the experience.

I cry a little bit almost everyday. I think it helps keep me healthy. I just see it as a normal part of living life and I think for me it's something that helps keep me from going into depression. Accepting it and not judging myself for it has been the key for me to see it as a normal and healthy part of being me. It's a way of releasing the pain that I naturally take in, both from being moved and incredibly disappointed by this world and the people in it.

Perhaps you don't need to try to understand it but just to accept it and see it as a natural way your body releases the pent up feelings and energies.

Reactions: Kaleidoscopic