Why did humanity switch from hunter gatherers to farming? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Why did humanity switch from hunter gatherers to farming?

I still hunt and gather. We help survive off of venison, fish: trout, bass, largemouth bass, flounder, reds, cobia, Spanish Mackerel, whiting, catfish, yellowfin tuna, mahi mahi, kingfish, red snapper, grouper, black sea bass, sheepshead, wahoo, and the likes; blue crabs, shrimp, ducks(green-winged teal, blue-winged teal, mallards, gadwall, pintail, wigeon, tree ducks, wood ducks, black ducks, mottled ducks, specklebelly geese, Ross's geese, canvasback, redhead, ringnecked ducks, lesser scaup, greater scaup, buffleheads, eagle head blue geese, white geese), other ducks I ate only once, wild pigs(like the smaller ones best), quail, dove, turkey, and the likes. If we move, different meats and sustenance will be provided for us. Growing veggies has long been part of farming to add to these foods; trees of pecans, walnuts, blueberries, grapes, oranges, lemons, and the likes. Cows and chickens were furnished by farmers. People with corn would swap for other needs, and vice versa. All the while, people survived together. Farmers would shoot rabbits, quail, deer, and the likes. Humanity didn't start its own end by sharing food with countries that had none.

Edit to add: bluegill or bream, crappie or specks, shellcracker, warmouth bass, red-breasted sunfish, yellow perch, stumpknockers, channel catfish, blue catfish, flathead catfish, pheasant, green perch,
white bass, stripers, hybrid bass, have eaten squirrel in the past, hickory nuts, blackberries, huckleberries, and all sorts of things we have brought in from the wild.

"We", as a term, doesn't do justice to humanity. Native Americans would most likely still be fine had "we" not invaded and over-populated the Americas.

Science. Why does a man breathe?

I feel our problems are multi-faceted, starting with too many people. We control deer herds and the likes in certain areas with hunting. This gives people food, prevents starvation of the herds, prevents CWD(Chronic Wasting Disease), and malnutrition. We need only look at the wildlife and the affects on the wildlife from humans. We can see famine and disease being used to balance mother nature. We take and destroy their habitat for more housing developments. I have to watch deer, beavers, otters, squirrels, possums, raccoons, geese, and all kinds of wildlife that was put here for our sustenance get splattered on the roads and highways. Can't more people move these animals out of the highways off the roads? What do the children think, I wonder?

www.thinglink.com
World Population Milestones
  • 10 Billion (2057) The United Nations projects world population to reach 10 billion in the year 2057.
  • 9 Billion (2037) World population is expected to reach 9 billion in the year 2037.
  • 8 Billion (2023) ...
  • 7.8 Billion (2020) ...
  • 7 Billion (2011) ...
  • 6 Billion (1999)
One billion is equal to how much water a day? Mayo clinic states this:
So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids for men. About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women.Sep 6, 2017 Average is 1.1 gallons per day per person.

Add to this toilet flushes, clothes washing, showers or baths, cooking, washing cars, watering grass and plants and our trees, and grasp that number. USGS.Gov states:
www.smartwheater.com
Estimates vary, but, on average, each person uses about 80-100 gallons of water per day, for indoor home uses. Are you surprised that the largest use of household water is to flush the toilet, and after that, to take showers and baths? Lets average human consumption, indoor homes uses, outdoor uses, and the likes to 100 gallons per day. This year, humans will use 780 billion gallons of water. This does not count fracking and other industrial uses. Can we fathom 780 billion gallons of water? How about times 365 days? 284 trillion, 700 billion gallons of water usage this year. Add pollution from industrial and human waste. Thank God for rain, huh?

Add another 28% to our population by 2057. Who is going to keep humankind from disease and pestilence? At what point is our earth over-populated and at what point will there be nothing to hunt and gather any longer?

Science? Do the math. We are our own worst enemies. Those twenty years old that survive will be 57 years old in 2057 and will see the outcome, if we are still here. We need a larger piggy bank.
Go blame something else. A child born today will be 37 years old in 2057. What about when they turn 57? We need think cautiously to survive.

Last edited:
This is almost like news to me. I go into a Dr.'s office waiting room today and a man immediately starts asking me if I had ever eaten swordfish. I said no, as I had never caught one. He said it can be ordered at certain restaurants. I told him if they served swordfish, they certainly served mahi mahi or tuna, something I would rather eat. I asked if he ate it. He said when and if he could afford it, it is expensive. Told him I always caught my own fish to eat. He asked if I even caught my own freshwater fish. I said I do. Another man sitting in the room asked when I had time to work?

Firstly, I have fished most of my life and am good at it. I have freezers to keep meat in. My Pa-in-law and I used to catch 100 fish each day we went, as we were allowed 50 each per day. We counted them in a net in the bottom of the boat when close, then put them back in the iced water til we caught 100 and left. He usually fished more than I, being retired. Therefore, he would just keep twenty or so and I would freeze the rest in water after we cleaned them all. Two people can eat a lot of meals from eighty fish. Do that three or four times a year and stop, usually on Saturdays. When the trout and redfish ran, we would catch shrimp for bait and catch a lot of fish to keep. Being larger fish, we didn't keep as many. We would also catch shrimp and freeze them....enough to last the year. Once again, we mostly fished Saturdays. First mating offshore, there were always filets for the eating in the freezer. We would have fun days when we went for our own food. A great day in the right time of year would furnish fish to eat for several years, and some to give to friends. Didn't kill a deer this season, as we have enough venison to last til next season....and pig. Yes, we had three freezers. Our grocery bill does not include a lot of meat.

I now have people questioning what I say locally. At least someone is listening, but trying to disprove me? Was even asked how many of a specific reel I had, which I stated online I had four of. Told him four.
Anything anyone wants to know, just ask. Take me for a cup of coffee and we'll talk about the mind, the body, politics, terrorism, and many other things I have knowledge of. I've always been curious, and always studied hard. Had the day off yesterday and took a friend's boat offshore where he caught 14" black sea bass. I still have fish except for trout, so he kept all the fish. Yes, he understands. We'll be going again on another day off when the seas are right.