Why are you blind to beauty? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Why are you blind to beauty?

Art can be as simple as just LIVING ARTFULLY. You don't have to make a painting. Life is truly just a bit long (actually very short) dance, and like any piece of music, it is transient, living, and precious.

That's all I got to say about that.

As an artist, aesthetic matters significantly less to me than intention and meaning. If I am blind to beauty, this is why.
Is there really a dichotomy here? Is there not an incredible beauty in some of the most profound expressions of intention and meaning?

But what you seem to be saying isn’t manifest directly in your words. It’s not a blindness that you express but a closing of the eyes to beauty in order for your art to express a truth that can’t use beauty as it’s language.

It's helpful to be normative concerning the words used.

Artist is to art as scientist is to science.

Both of these terms are within the umbrella, "higher intellectual pursuits" that involve philosophy and cultural expression.

The word scientists comes from a meeting in the Royal Society, from a time when those involved were doing experimental philosophy, contrary to moral philosophy.
Natural philosophy is in contrast to metaphysics, where both mathematics and theology belong -- arguably on each of their feuding sides.
Allowing us to associoate and relate things from mathematics and personified cosmological concepts and principles.

One needed a way to distinguish properly, those that applied method and empirical studies in their higher pursuits, rather than posturing with public appeal and entertainment.
So we have scientists today that don't really care much for philosophy and those things, as the physical and real world is better to work with and more trustworthy.

Likewise, art comes from a different direction, namely artisans and craftmanship.
A poet is not an artist, he can perhaps be an entertainer much like how a scientists or philosopher can be.

So if a painter demonstrate masterful craftmanship and also displays visual poetry, it tends to be called a masterpiece.

At the end of the day, art today is in the eye of the beholder according to the expert oppinions of most museum and art gallery curators of today.

Mozart was an entertainer, that he gets hailed from artists and scientists alike is why he has the status that he does.

I only like ugly shit.

At the end of the day, art today is in the eye of the beholder according to the expert oppinions of most museum and art gallery curators of today.

Are you saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I wasn't able to tell if you where equating art to beauty.

Are you saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I wasn't able to tell if you where equating art to beauty.

According to a musem director in new york, if you call something art it's art.
Saying that it's "interesting" but that you don't consider it art might offend many people.
If it's art for someone, it's art for everyone. "Certainly great, is it masterpiece or contemporary?" :)

Ren had a thread about this, too. Though, he wanted a more philosophical answer than you are looking for, or the thread went in that direction, anyway.

:innocent:

Most people have no problem identifying and appreciating the meaning behind a piece of art. Most people have no problem experiencing what they would call a "beautiful moment" in their lives. Some people have no problem finding "beautiful" tranquillity or what ever the hell else you want to call it. But almost no one can identify aesthetic beauty. Its like a colourblindness that can not be illuminated to the person that is blind.

Why do you think that is? Why are so many people completely blind to aesthetic beauty?

How do you define "aesthetic experience"? I think this is a fundamental preliminary to any discussion about the topic.

I'm asking this question because philosophers wildly differ about what makes an experience aesthetic; they even differ about whether the experience of beauty is primarily aesthetic or not.

Personally, I think the association of artistic experience with "aesthetic" experience, depending on how it is conceived, is almost a bit old hat at this point. But I'll wait for your definition before I contribute my own perspective.

Personally, I think the association of artistic experience with "aesthetic" experience, depending on how it is conceived, is almost a bit old hat at this point. But I'll wait for your definition before I contribute my own perspective.

This is the least controversal thing one can say about the distinction, as much do involve the approach to the experience an the concept.
There do seem to be a convetion concerning esthetic and asesthetic however, where the latter are more things like golden ratio.
Thus, if one aren't interested in discussing or describing accurately the personal; aesthetics deal with the more general, like if colours in the way of harmony like tones and notes.
Esthetics being if one like a colour or not -- in some languages, saying things like, "he's a bit of an estheticist", can refer to being flamboyant in clothes like artists often are.

Reactions: Ren