When you sit, sit. When you stand, stand. | INFJ Forum

When you sit, sit. When you stand, stand.

La Sagna

I did it! I'm a butterfly!
Oct 27, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Here's an interesting perspective on committing fully to whatever you are doing:

Dan Millman’s Socrates – Moderation No More

The Idea

Besides the eponymous Greek philosopher, “Socrates” – “Soc” for friends – is also the name of a character in Dan Millman’s Way of The Peaceful Warrior. While Dan Millman is not considered a philosopher, Soc has some very empowering life philosophies. About halfway through the novel, Dan — the main character — asks Soc, “What about moderation?” Soc replies:

“There is a saying when you sit, sit. When you stand, stand. What ever you do don’t wobble. Once you make your choice do it with all your spirit. Don’t be like the evangelist that thought about praying while making love to his wife and making love to his wife while praying.

It’s better to make a mistake with the full force of your being than to carefully avoid mistakes with a trembling spirit. Responsibility means recognizing both pleasure and price, making a choice based on that recognition, and then living with that choice without concern.”

Go Full-Out

You might have doubts about certain decisions, but once you’ve taken them, you should act “with the full force of your being,” since it is the only way to truly live an authentic life. This translates to always focusing on the task at hand, doing everything the best you can, and sticking with your decisions once you’ve made them.

There is no point in doing things half-heartedly.

Last edited:
Reactions: sassafras
Very good points.

If you don't do your best and you fail, it will haunt you.

Give it all ya' gat'!

mic_display_image.jpg

I like the avatar, it looks like some kinda angel but in the sea.

Reactions: invisible
Moderation never meant "Be wishy-washy" or "be a waffle"

It means "have some sense in what you commit to"

To one with no sense, "Go full out" could mean "Kill everybody who doesn't agree with you". But that's not what you mean, is it? (I hope not)

Conversely, in moderation you still commit fully. The thing that is moderate is actually what you're committing to. As it has some times been said of Zen, you have to be willing to die. There is no half-assed.