What's your management style? | INFJ Forum

What's your management style?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What's your management style and do you think it works?

School, home, work, etc.? Do you enjoy managing others? What do you like and dislike the most about managing people or projects? Is there a difference between type of manager you prefer to be vs. the one you have to be? What would you change about managing today based on your experience observing other styles?

*You don't have to answer all these questions, just whichever ones you want to answer.

What's your management style and do you think it works?
I prefer working for myself now, however years ago I worked in management positions and my style was as long as people were getting their work done, I was mostly laid back.

School, home, work, etc.? Do you enjoy managing others? What do you like and dislike the most about managing people or projects? Is there a difference between type of manager you prefer to be vs. the one you have to be? What would you change about managing today based on your experience observing other styles?
I do not enjoy managing others anymore. Working for myself is a much better fit for me at this point in my life and allows some flexibility as a single mom.

Reactions: Ren, Gaze and James
laissez faire

Reactions: Gaze and Ren
So far I have only experience in managing interns.

@Happy Phantom had almost the exact words I had in mind: I'm mostly laid-back as long as the work is being done. I work through encouragement and inclusion, mostly - trying to give people ownership as a way to motivate them. Few admonishments, but occasional and targeted moments of authoritatively straightening things out if needed. I can be pretty direct and sharp.

I think how I manage and how I like to be managed are actually pretty similar, at least in concept. With the experience I've garnered being managed, I think I will strive to be a fair manager in the future, as human as possible, and always giving people recognition when they deserve it. But I will not be lenient on grave mistakes, and I will always keep in mind that being too permissive with a particular person means being unjust with everyone else.

I'd like to say laissez-faire, but methinks I also like a little authoritative style too :D. I'd rather be relaxed, facilitate, and guide, but let people do their thing. I want to be encouraging and supportive, but sometimes, as @Ren said, sometimes you have to be tough even if you don't want to be. Although that's stressful. I hate the thought of using an authoritarian or realistically a command style to manage anyone. I think sometimes people don't realize that completing a task is not about like or dislike, but about getting it done. But the management style has to match the people you're managing.

I tend to assume the people I am managing have their own self motivation, drive, and independence. But that's not always the case. Some may want more guidance than others. I think people do go through learning curves, I know I did, and people need chances to make mistakes and grow, but I don't think I should be shadowing someone forever. My philosophy is show you how to do it, make sure you have enough supplies or tools, allow you to figure it out, and then let you fly. I'm not a fan of someone depending on me for their ability to succeed.

Reactions: Ren
At one point when I was younger I had to manage some managers and I really had no idea what the hell I was doing so I just tried to be firm with deadlines but totally relaxed about everything else and asked a lot of questions more than anything really. Not badgering by any means, I just tried to get a sense of where their head was at so I could get a jump on providing whatever they might need. They were a pretty responsible bunch so I didn't have a ton of trouble anyway. It was more like I was just there as a humorous boogeyman. And I'm generally service oriented you might say, so as a manager I'm just a valet boogeyman.

If I were a manager now, I think I'd have a better handle on figuring out where people were at as far as recognizing and providing a sense of autonomy and value within the workplace. Basically I'd operate the same, but hopefully ask better targeted questions. Valet boogeyman with cookies.

My default mode is definitely encouragement and inclusion like @Ren said. Valet hugging boogeyman with cookies and super special participation awards to specifically annoy people who don't like that sort of thing. Get over it or get boogied sucka.

Reactions: Gaze and Ren