What's Your Birth Weight (and Personality)? | INFJ Forum

What's Your Birth Weight (and Personality)?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16771
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16771

There's a funny idea out there supported (and refuted) by a couple of studies that suggests birth weight is correlated with certain personality traits. Typically, the hypothesis is that low birth weight predicts a socially withdrawn personality.

So, what's your birtn weight and personality type? Do you buy the hypothesis? If so, or not, what do you think the mechanism could be? Any mums and dads want to speculate about their kids?

My birth weight was 8lbs 6oz - introvert.
Sister was 7lbs 7oz - extrovert
Brother was 6lbs 2oz - extrovert

My birth weight was 7lbs and something something. I'm skeptical.

This may be true for dogs. I'm not sure of that, either, but I have a small pool of evidence.

This is crayyyy! I never heard of this so I actually looked it up. Turns out there may be something to it, as research has been done on personality of those born prematurely. But I don't have access to that full article. But I found this one too.

And low birth weight is less than 5 lbs 8oz. So would this apply to full term babies?

And for an anecdote, I have a cousin who was born at I think 26 weeks premature. Today, he's a giant of a guy and he fights wild fires for a living. He's also incredibly kind and easy going and seems to be introverted. But I don't think he's withdrawn or has mental health issues, as the article suggests a higher risk for that.

Last edited:
And for an anecdote, I have a cousin who was born at I think 26 weeks premature. Today, he's a giant of a guy and he fights wild fires for a living. He's also incredibly kind and easy going and seems to be introverted.

My SO was a premie. He's also a giant and an introvert.

Weight is a force...mass multiplied by a constant (gravity). It is hard to imagine that our mass determines the force we apply as human beings. I guess I can understand that theory of less mass...less force, but I'm under the assumption that the mass of the brain stabilizes the gradation as opposed to the aggregate sum of all parts. Its interesting to think about. Thanks Deleted member 16771!

I think this is probably a useful test case in correlation vs causation, since it seems likely that the data is picking up something, but not that birth weight per se influences these personality traits.

E.g. Perhaps it's smoking/drinking during pregnancy that causes a higher risk of the traits, which also happens to influence birth weight, but not birth weight itself.

I think this is probably a useful test case in correlation vs causation, since it seems likely that the data is picking up something, but not that birth weight per se influences these personality traits.

E.g. Perhaps it's smoking/drinking during pregnancy that causes a higher risk of the traits, which also happens to influence birth weight, but not birth weight itself.

That was my thought as well, and I've been racking my brain for several hours now because of you... what could it beeeee

I was somewhere around 7-8lb and I'm pretty introverted. So I think this is bollocks want my money back

Weight is a force...mass multiplied by a constant (gravity). It is hard to imagine that our mass determines the force we apply as human beings. I guess I can understand that theory of less mass...less force, but I'm under the assumption that the mass of the brain stabilizes the gradation as opposed to the aggregate sum of all parts. Its interesting to think about. Thanks Deleted member 16771!
Screenshot_2018-11-04-19-02-36-560.jpeg

I was almost a premature baby and I was so teeny tiny! Most of the baby clothes were way too big for me. :smile:

Unfortunately I don't remember my birth weight. I should check that from somewhere or ask from mom, lol.

I am very introverted.