What's a bad person? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

What's a bad person?

I think it's fun, too.

I understand your perspective, but respectfully disagree. I believe in doing what works-- what it is that shows results. I was reading a Batman comic the other night, and noticed how he never kills. Ever. Well, thanks to his mercy, in the issue I read, the criminals all escaped from Arkham asylum and started on a killing spree, taking down several hundreds of innocent civilians. This could all have been avoided if he'd been willing to do what was necessary, rather than strictly adhere to his moral values.

This is fiction, yes, but events like those have been known to happen in real life. It's been a nice discussion, either way.

i have a fun response :) i agree with u, doing what works, like killing them, makes sense, buuut mercy is still better BECAUSE if those bad guys would forgive whoever it is that they are mad at, they would stop being bad :D tadaaaaaaaaaa! you can say that for mister freeze and the penguin. what's most interesting is that the 'good' guys in the comic are the ones that did in fact show mercy despite the wrongs that happened to them, the batman origin story could very well be the origin story for a bad guy too, but he chose to be good, despite his hurt.

i think if the whole world was full of merciful people, people would still feel hurt, because we our expectations and understanding of people and life are flawed. but with mercy, it would be a much better place, then if everyone practiced justice.

realistically though, knowing that we live in a world with few merciful people, one might think that being just is the pragmatic as well as noble way to go, however i believe that undoing hurt can only truly be done by the person that was hurt. no matter how many sorries or what kind of punishment a bad person gets, i think if someone has hurt you, u wont forget that hurt, or feel okay that that hurt happened just cuz the person that did it is now suffering. forgiveness becomes a way to let go of your own hurt. i think it would take an INCREDIBLY STRONG person to do that though.

here's a video you may find funny :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adW46gsMTXM&feature=relmfu

Last edited:
So I gotta ask, does make lying, cheating, stealing, murder, neglect, child abuse etc. neither right or wrong, If so why are people hurt as the result?
So if an individual commits any of these things can be considered the social norm depending on what culture you come from?
Does accountability exist?
Why is it in most cultures throughout history there are legal systems and punishments?

Hm.. I'm saying that right/wrong exist as concepts within human communities. *Usually* "wrong" is determined when people are hurt, according to most people. I'm saying also that not all communities or cultures have the same values or concepts of right/wrong (even if people are definitely hurt by certain behaviours), and so right/wrong is kind of subjective because it's not something all people can agree on or have definite authority over determining.

So if an individual commits any of these things can be considered the social norm depending on what culture you come from?

Yes. Not necessarily a social norm, but even not be considered as "wrong" or "bad" behaviour, based on the culture's expectations.

Does accountability exist? I think that a person is accountable for the actions they make, but also that their world around them highly influences their development and how they act, so the core of accountability is kind of questionable to me in my philosophical view. Of course people can assume everyone to be completely accountable down to the core of everything I've talked about, but it really depends on that person's expectations, and the society's expectations.

Why is it in most cultures throughout history there are legal systems and punishments?
I think so people who commit things that hurt others or offend some system of morals or beliefs can be removed from society in some form, or have their actions punished so others don't commit the same things, or possibly for "revenge" to make the offended feel better.

Surely, you can use your intuition and your knowledge about these criminals to understand what is meant by "bad people."

Yes, I know what most people's standards are for "good"/"bad" people. As [MENTION=4717]subwayrider[/MENTION] later mentioned already, I think I just wanted to point out the subjectivity of it, while trying to find out what your particular definition or standards would be.

A bad person is one who hurts others in an extreme physical, mental, or emotional way, intentionally and without remorse on a habitual basis. In theory, a bad person can become a good person, and a good person can become a bad one.