• INTJ

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFJ

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
Reactions: James, Free and Ren
Maybe I was thinking ISTP...I picked ENTP, because don't they have NiTi naturally???
Ne-Ti for ENTP :)

Ni and Ti are found, by stack order, in INFJ (1-3), ENFJ (2-4), ISTP (3-1) and ESTP (4-2). I could be wrong on that though.

Ne-Ti for ENTP :)

Ni and Ti are found, by stack order, in INFJ (1-3), ENFJ (2-4), ISTP (3-1) and ESTP (4-2). I could be wrong on that though.
;) @Ren , I could be (and generally am) standing out in right-field all alone holding my insights, lol.

A couple things to consider though...
There is an astrix next to ENTP in the poll, does that mark my choice? Or the correct answer? (I've not seen one appear before now.)
When I've watched Sherlock, he seems scattered because he does most of his action outside his head, Te? Moving physical objects and people in the physical to match the thoughts in his head? Yet, he spends an enormous amount of time inside his head thinking, while absent-mindedly doing something else entirely unrelated to the issue, while working out his theory?
He is definately a N, but which? I think Ni, because he is in the "grip" of addiction recovery, and because of this he is inacting one or more shadow functions...what would the shadow functions of an ENTP be?

I'm not being flippant. I may, like I said, be way out yonder in my theory. I learn as I go when it comes to questions of type here in the forum and IRL. It's been pointed out many times how retarded and beneath others' I seem intellectually...however, often when these folks are left to ponder my insight, they find and offer the missing peice I'm lacking, of which I'm grateful.

My appologies for rambling, and sincerely mean no disrespect, after all, this senario is getting quite old here in the forum. It seems that superority is a level of attainment regardless of the head they stand on to reach it. :/ Thank you for pointing out the info to me. :D

I am really liking this discussion because I've always wondered about it. Just assumed INTJ and moved on with my life though.
I do think he is technically meant to be ISTP, but through the writing and acting and a bit of my own bias, it became very easy to see an INTJ.
I think it's also easy to see INTP, INFJ and ENTP. It just depends a lot on how you interpret whatever is left open for the audience.

I am really liking this discussion because I've always wondered about it. Just assumed INTJ and moved on with my life though.
I do think he is technically meant to be ISTP, but through the writing and acting and a bit of my own bias, it became very easy to see an INTJ.
I think it's also easy to see INTP, INFJ and ENTP. It just depends a lot on how you interpret whatever is left open for the audience.

I agree. It's really great when a discussion leads concretely to a better understanding of a given subject. I feel enlightened.

;) @Ren , I could be (and generally am) standing out in right-field all alone holding my insights, lol.

A couple things to consider though...
There is an astrix next to ENTP in the poll, does that mark my choice? Or the correct answer? (I've not seen one appear before now.)
When I've watched Sherlock, he seems scattered because he does most of his action outside his head, Te? Moving physical objects and people in the physical to match the thoughts in his head? Yet, he spends an enormous amount of time inside his head thinking, while absent-mindedly doing something else entirely unrelated to the issue, while working out his theory?
He is definately a N, but which? I think Ni, because he is in the "grip" of addiction recovery, and because of this he is inacting one or more shadow functions...what would the shadow functions of an ENTP be?

I'm not being flippant. I may, like I said, be way out yonder in my theory. I learn as I go when it comes to questions of type here in the forum and IRL. It's been pointed out many times how retarded and beneath others' I seem intellectually...however, often when these folks are left to ponder my insight, they find and offer the missing peice I'm lacking, of which I'm grateful.

My appologies for rambling, and sincerely mean no disrespect, after all, this senario is getting quite old here in the forum. It seems that superority is a level of attainment regardless of the head they stand on to reach it. :/ Thank you for pointing out the info to me. :D
I don't think the ENTP theory is retarded at all. A lot of people on this thread seem to agree that BBC Sherlock uses Ti either as dom or aux. If so, ENTP is one of the candidates, since ENTPs use Ti as an aux function. I think what possibly weakens the case of ENTP though, is that this type normally doesn't use Se much, while Sherlock clearly does. And as a whole, I have trouble picturing Sherlock as an extrovert. I see him rather as an extremely self-confident introvert (assuming non-sociopathy.)

We haven't even started on what mbti type Mycroft is... I'm going with esfp, because I have that on Blu Ray and it's on the special features (lies) with Stephen Fry.

;)

We haven't even started on what mbti type Mycroft is... I'm going with esfp, because I have that on Blu Ray and it's on the special features (lies) with Stephen Fry.

I see where you're coming from, but the quintessential fictional ESFP remains Hannibal Lecter.

I checked the DVD box @ruji and it definitely says he's INTJ. I'm not saying that's proof (because I made it up) but that's clear evidence.

What type did you opt for ? :)

Hey, that is cool. I don't have that on my BDs as far as I know. Can you post a pic of that, or is it in the additional content?

Ti must be the dominant function, or auxiliary at the very least.

I came to that conclusion as well, in my 2-day puzzle-absence. I have heard that people can be good in both the introverted and extroverted direction of one of their functions, which is usually their second and sixth function. The fith function is named the ignoring(?) function, i.e. they think it takes care of itself. It might be that he is both good at Ti and Te. I am still slightly in favour of Ti, because it would explain the long periods he spends thinking and mulling over things in his head (2x01, Coventry), which to me looked a lot like an Ni-Ti loop. It made me wonder: is there a (combination of) function(s) that look similar to an Ni-Ti loop?

I for one have (according to the cog-fx-test by Dario Nardi et al.) Fe as my most used function, then Ni and Ne before Ti and Fi. I know, being good at it is not the same as using it, but it can certainly point towards the shadow functions being used in almost the same frequency as the conscious function stack, only with different proficiency and value. It may just be me who has that kind of function use, but it would make sense.

Further it makes no sense to analyse functions in isolation.

Why is that? Because it is, in my opinion, good to think about the functions first and then stack them and see if it works in relation. Because some people do have both functions in good use, just value one or the other more. (see above)

Ginny I hope you're saying this half in jest. Otherwise - take a chill pill! XD nobody tried to hurt you!

Actually, regrettably, it wasn't. That's E1 dominance (perhaps a bit unhealthy/insecure) for you. My frontal lobe is still developing (I hope), so I am still undesirably easily offended in that way. It is an explaination of my behaviour and not an accusation. In this case, 90% of my behaviour is my own interpretation/festering and culminating emotions that want to get out, the other 10 outside influence (trigger). Depending on the trigger it takes a bit to analyse and rationalise (and then regret that I caved in to the impulse).

Let me just say, despite my rocky start, I like how this thread developed. It's lovely to see other people's input towards one of my questions. It is quite rare, so thank you all!

I just had another thought. Do you think it might be possible that there are factors contributing to the distortion of the image of a displayed type, as in the types of not just the actor (as some already pointed out), but also the type of the appropriator(s)? I just remembered that I wondered about this before, during the writing period of my bachelor's thesis, but I forgot about it. The least amout of distortion (though there may already be some, depending on what your position is regarding the original SH being an adaptation itself - tricky) would be found in Doyle's Holmes, which makes him easier to type. I think that it is also rather easy to find a consensus when actor and character are of the same/a similar type, as is probably the case with RDJ's Holmes. It would then of course be helpful to know the types of them and the the type they aimed for in order to prove my theory, but I can hardly ask BC, SM, and MG to do the test and tell me what comes out :)

If that is the case, it would beg the question if typing TV characters in general, should be take this information into account during their typing, or if it should be disregarded, for whatever reason (like, for instance, if I remember correctly, the "death of the author").

In case someone saw, I made multiple posts, sorry. I thought it didn't react because it didn't appear until I refreshed. Deleted the redundant surplus.

He is GEPK, gothic emo poser kid. And gay. Which both stands for INFJ. Or ENFJ which thinks he's gay because Kurt Cobain did and his generation listens to not real music.

I think the character is a P-type since he supposedly thinks of every possibility, eliminates, until arriving at only one. I don’t think J-types are good at seeing every possibility. I think he’s ISTP because he’s introverted and has strong Se.
Thank you for your contribution. But one thing about it bugs me. I don't doubt that the original literary character was ISTP, but if BC's SH has an Se as strong as that, what about Ni? Wasn't the mind palace supposed to be its representation? You could say just as easily that the mind palace is a combination of Si and Ne (as Si is the function Ne-doms use to engage in Ni), and that would also rule out ISTP.

I wouldn't call myself a P (although IJs are actually perceivers), but I too often take the time I need to consider the possibilities and arrive at the most likely conclusion, sometimes even with a relative percentage in mind. As I understand it, people with Ni in the first block are goal-oriented, looking to how things develop, whereas Se lives in the moment, and mostly does practical thinking. If it does any at all (with the examples in my head, I'm not so sure).

I don't know how Ti in dominant position would influence the workings of Se or even Ne. If one of our ITPs would like to enlighten us?

Meanwhile, could you explain how you arrived at your conclusion? Or if we were to consider the judging axis, what makes you sure he displays Ti-Fe?

Reactions: jkxx and Free
He is GEPK, gothic emo poser kid. And gay. Which both stands for INFJ. Or ENFJ which thinks he's gay because Kurt Cobain did and his generation listens to not real music.
lolz.

Reactions: Free and Wyote
Are you suggesting that Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock deviates from the source material so much that Se is an inferior function? Or that Ti isn’t one of the first two? Whichever type he is, I think Ti and Se would have to both be in the top two functions.

The mind palace is a memorization technique, not part of a person’s personality. His scanning of his memory shows his Ti at work. Ni isn’t active or logical like that. It is subconscious.

There is a difference between P/J-types and the first function being a perceiving/judging one. I’m talking about the difference between P/J-types, not the first function.

In the end, these are fictional characters and not real people. You can’t expect them to actually have personalities that make sense.

Are you suggesting that Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock deviates from the source material so much that Se is an inferior function? Or that Ti isn’t one of the first two? Whichever type he is, I think Ti and Se would have to both be in the top two functions.
I'm not suggesting anything, I just expect evidence and explainations. But this is Moffat we're talking about here, and who says that the re-interpretation of the source material uses cognitive functions as a basis for the creation of its characters?

The mind palace is a memorization technique, not part of a person’s personality. His scanning of his memory shows his Ti at work. Ni isn’t active or logical like that. It is subconscious.
Ti, really? Somehow this clashes with the impression I have of it. Or did you mean Si? As for Ni, I'd like to reference episode 4x01, where he indicated something missing, plus a feeling that he had which he attributed to intuition.

There is a difference between P/J-types and the first function being a perceiving/judging one. I’m talking about the difference between P/J-types, not the first function.
Is there? So are you saying that you use two different theories?

In the end, these are fictional characters and not real people. You can’t expect them to actually have personalities that make sense.
We got to that part months ago. It's not my fault that you chose to answer, but you can't expect me not to debate about it when I get a surprising answer in order to understand it.

Clearly, you and I disagree on the typing of Sherlock. I pointed out a few things that are central in defining Sherlock as a character.
Perhaps you should just leave that there and appreciate that I’m actually replying to your post.