What to do in this situation?? | INFJ Forum

What to do in this situation??

Betteralone

Regular Poster
May 7, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
I am curious to know what you all think I should do in the following situation.

I am having a BBQ tomorrow. I have had at least one or two BBQ's a year for the last 6 years. I have always owned a dog. I have done dog sitting for the last 5 years. There are always dogs at our house.

There are two families with little children that always come to the BBQ's. Their kids are afraid of the dogs. The kids cling to the parents and the parents get frustrated and act like I am inconveniencing them. The parents are fully aware that there are dogs. They do nothing to try and help the kids NOT be afraid, they don't even say "it's ok, they won't hurt you", and try to get them over their fears; but instead actually encourage their behavior by picking them up and moving them away from the dogs. Especially if you look at it on a psychological level and also the fact that the kids learned to be afraid from their parents.

Anyhow, Question - should I have to tie the dogs up if they are not bothering anyone else?? Or should they have to deal with the situation since it is MY house!? :decision:

I think some people are always going to be afraid of pets like dogs, which is understandable. Maybe keep the dogs away this once so that the kids can feel more relaxed.

What I would do personally, is take a few minutes to show the children that they are safe and loving creatures, and make a promise to them that if they do anything to hurt or harm them, then they will be put away. It covers all the bases, without being willed by someone else.

I cannot stand to tie a dog to something, its just horrible for me to imagine what it is like and the poor fellow is just being his or her self otherwise. If you don't have a pen you can put the dog up in short term then I can only really think of one other option. Talk to the parents and see if you can engage the children with the dogs. Do they like to fetch? Or play any other games? Are they too large for the children to play with or is it just the playful nature of the dogs that scare them?

I used to be deathly afraid of dogs when I was younger. When I was four or so a Doberman bit a chunk out of my right cheek right under my eye. Took thirty something stitches to sow it up and although I can't remember the days event because I was so young I still had nightmares and was scared to death of them for quite awhile after. The only way I dealt with it as a child was to face my fears. I learned that dogs can just sense things and the more afraid of them you are the more anxious it makes them. Some dogs won't have anything to do with me but now and again I'll run into a billy badass rottweiler who will lay down and let me rub his or her belly. Rotties are so sweet.

Yar so with the parents permission, if its feasible, have the children play with the dogs. Watch them closely and make sure they interact properly, but all the dogs I can remember love to play and kids do too.

What I would do personally, is take a few minutes to show the children that they are safe and loving creatures, and make a promise to them that if they do anything to hurt or harm them, then they will be put away. It covers all the bases, without being willed by someone else.

Telling the kids that if they harm the dogs they would be "put away"?

Hmmm... I like this idea.

Yup, go with the fear approach.

Telling the kids that if they harm the dogs they would be "put away"?

Hmmm... I like this idea.

Yup, go with the fear approach.

You know what I meant :tongue1:. If the DOGS do anything.

Hell I'd spray the kids with the hose if they abused the dogs. *shrugs*

Thank you everyone!!

This isn't a one time thing, they come here a couple times a year.
I always tell the kids they will not hurt them and try to get them to play. I even show them how to say "Git" and the dogs will go away.
If it wasn't for the parents, I think the kids would be fine. Not to mention each of these dogs have children at home. The kids are more than safe, the parents just play into their fears instead of try and get them to face them like Skathac did. :nod:

Chaz - yeah, I like the fear approach too! lol the kids would prolly like being locked in the crate or being sprayed with the hose! I am just kidding for those who think I am not. : )

Skathac - what an awful experience! And as far as the rottweilers, they get a bad rep. It's the owner that makes a bad dog.