What makes you happy?

udremeei

Community Member
Sep 8, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9 ; inst. 6w5
I mean, what makes you really, really happy? That little feeling of bliss when you've done something which turns your brain into joy mode. You know the one.

For me, it's sitting in a clean house that I cleaned with my own two hands, or wearing a piece of clothing that I've made, or helping out a person and knowing that I've somehow made their life a little bit better.

Sometimes I can be made extremely happy by something as small as, say... seeing a goose on the side of the road with his fellows, just taking a walk. Or... Getting an unexpected friend request from someone whom I've admired in secret for a little while.

I've been feeling this way more often nowadays, I think. I feel blessed.

And you? What makes you feel really, really happy?

I would like to second the satisfaction of enjoying a clean house I cleaned with my own two hands, and also when a certain person's name appears on my phone, or in my inboxes. :)

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Bright copper kettles and warm woolen...umm, I mean ahh, tough guy stuff makes me happy of course!

Finishing a project. Nothing seems to compare to the satisfaction of seeing something you've worked your butt off on come to completion. That's very rewarding to me but unfortunately rare. I'm guilty of being easily distracted and sidetracked.

Seeing little kids respecting and comforting each other. Example: a little boys ballon flies away and he cries and then another little boy walks over and gives him his balloon. Priceless! Or that commercial/video clip where the child falls in the Special Olympics and another child gives up their lead to help their fallen friend. It warms my heart. I guess reckless acts of compassion bring me a lot of joy.

The goose comment made me laugh because a mother goose walking her chicks across the road, halting all traffic, once turned my whole day around from a negative to a positive.

I'm glad you are feeling blessed :smile:

Reactions: grt$5vb
For me, it's sitting in a clean house that I cleaned with my own two hands
I would like to second the satisfaction of enjoying a clean house I cleaned with my own two hands,
Oh I know that feeling. I look around and see such perfection. I can be pretty messy at times, but that only makes it all the sweeter when I see everything in its proper place.
...and all the worse when I notice it's messy again!

I'm a big fan of those zen moments where you sit back and can't think of anything negative from recent memory. That momentary bliss is fantastic, if fleeting.

Returned trust/respect/affection where it wasn't previously is another thing I live for. I'm not one to make a lot of new friends, but seeing an existing relationship flourish is immensely gratifying. When a stubborn friend makes a concession or someone as slow to open up as myself says something on the sly he/she normally wouldn't if not for that trust, it feels like I'm doing things right.

talking to that one ex boyfriend
hanging out with good friends
watching the sky, no matter what weather
a good read
taking a glance towards a cute guy at the same time that he's already giving you the eye

and yeah, i like cleaning too
or when you organize the still-warm papers for a freshly printed finished essay
mmm

her voice on the phone. . .
her email in my inbox. .
the text message that says. . "sweet thing"
but they all pale compared to being by her side. .

Coffee ...

it greets me in the morning when I wake,
it is the beverage of choice in the company of a good friend,
one small sip of cold coffee transports my mind to childhood when I would finish my mother's coffee
or remember the times I would sit with her in mornings sipping a cup and reading the funnies as she read the paper,
it is my "comfort" food of choice,
it is the familiar aroma anywhere that makes me feel at home,
it is the one thing that will always be consistent in my life (except when I was pregnant, it tasted like ashes.)

AND

Words of comfort and love from from family and friends.
Unsolicited affection from my loved ones.
Scaring the bajeebus out of my SO.

Last edited:
this thread is so totally last week. what makes you happy (everyday)? is out this week. and if you ask me, TDHT had the most original take on it with her recent inspiration thread. but i am superficial and a fashion junkie, always anticipating the next big thing. for others happiness never goes out of style. sucks to be them!!

Happiness is...
-Walking into a dimly lit barn early in the morning, being greeted by neighs and throaty nickers.
-Watching a horse extend itself, reaching and folding. Rhythmic, beautiful, ethereal.
-Opening the door after a long day at work and my cat runs to greet me with her grunts and chirps.
-Coffee. Always. Coffeecoffeecoffee!
-Queen.
-A close friend comes up to me and asks "How was your day?" knowing they are interested and care about me.

-Anna

I like having a peaceful, stress free day and something to occupy me. That is all.

1) Lovely children, even when they're sad and spoiled and crying. The sweet ones are better, though. My baby cousin once took the hand of another little girl in her Pre-K class on "Bring your Mother to School" Day. The little girl's mother was deployed at the time, and she had been sitting alone in the corner, but my baby cousin took her hand and smiled and said, "You can share my Momma." Really makes you appreciate the kind-hearted people.

2) When the man I'm head-over-heels for acknowledges me. We always share a lot of laughs, but he's a social butterfly and hardly ever makes time for me.

3) Crying at a sad movie. (Afterwords, obviously.) Even if it's just over some stupid movie, a good cry really helps lower the stress levels.

:)

Other peoples misery.

Reactions: acd
1. Snail mail, like real letter types
2. Bumping into people you believe you were fated to meet then and there :)
3. Having lots of emails from friends and family, as opposed to junk mail
4. Therapy, depending on how it went, lol.
5. Unexpected acts of kindness and thoughtfulness

I love the feeling when you start a new book or tv show and you're so into it that it makes you appreciate your own life.

- Being in peaceful, unified company. When I - "We", really - can be in such intimate company that 'I' stop existing and join the others' manifest...radiance. It's a hard thing for me to describe.

- Seeing the clouds move in the sky. I am reminded of our transitory nature and the inherent need to create momentum towards a better world-society, advance our species even just one step forward in the existential darkness (Ubermensch).

- Dawn.

- Suffering. Not fatalism, but a golden opportunity to overcome and help others do the same if within my power.

- Smiles, of course.