What jobs make the most use of intuition? | INFJ Forum

What jobs make the most use of intuition?

cityofman

Three
Jul 21, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Hey everyone!

I've been trying to find out what jobs give me the largest use of my intuition, because those are the areas where I think I would be happiest.

Something I noticed in class is that I can give the answers to questions in topics I knew little about.
This has happened in the more "general knowledge" social science classes such as political science and history, and it has even happened with giving statistical answers in a business class! I.e., what percentage people do____ ? How much is the average price of a _______?
The answer "comes" into my head without consciously trying to think about it.

Using my intuition to answer questions in this way is an extremely satisfying experience. I feel like I am "living up to my potential" and "doing what I was born to do."

It's not something that happens very often in everyday life. (unfortunately.)
It usually happens when someone is asking a question.
Occasionally, I am able to use my intuition to pinpoint and ASK questions (instead of answering them) and that is also extremely satisfying- maybe more so.

So, how can I make the most of this fun gift and talent in a job?

Good for you!!! I am envious you are able to utilize and accept your intuition as valid and natural. I wish I had done so years and years ago.

I'm a social worker doing case management and I use my intuition to help people move past their fears and into problem solving mode.

Anything with Forensics.

There was a nurse here on the forum for a while who used her Intuitive gift to help save lives in the Intensive Care units at hospitals.

I would think being a Special Services teacher in Education would be invaluable for children with special needs. (I do case management for those children).

The more I think about it - I can see your gift being of most value there - in education - to help identify potential issues before the child becomes traumatized in some way or the other.

I wish you all the success you can handle. :)

Reactions: Julia Peterson
Hey everyone!

I've been trying to find out what jobs give me the largest use of my intuition, because those are the areas where I think I would be happiest.

Something I noticed in class is that I can give the answers to questions in topics I knew little about.
This has happened in the more "general knowledge" social science classes such as political science and history, and it has even happened with giving statistical answers in a business class! I.e., what percentage people do____ ? How much is the average price of a _______?
The answer "comes" into my head without consciously trying to think about it.

Using my intuition to answer questions in this way is an extremely satisfying experience. I feel like I am "living up to my potential" and "doing what I was born to do."

It's not something that happens very often in everyday life. (unfortunately.)
It usually happens when someone is asking a question.
Occasionally, I am able to use my intuition to pinpoint and ASK questions (instead of answering them) and that is also extremely satisfying- maybe more so.

So, how can I make the most of this fun gift and talent in a job?

I would say you are developing the iN function even more every time you use it. You are already developing it by using the function and trusting the answers you are recieving. Trusting and acting on intuition is the hardest part; keep using it and develop it further.

Laura Day's books on developing intuition is very interesting and helpful as well. You can even go far as developing ESP if you wish.

I would say you are developing the iN function even more every time you use it. You are already developing it by using the function and trusting the answers you are recieving. Trusting and acting on intuition is the hardest part; keep using it and develop it further.

Well, that's the problem. :) I have a chance to use it/ strengthen it in the classroom, but I'm trying to find a job where I can do the same.

And I'll check out that book. Thanks!

if you're an INFJ or INTJ type just use your Fe or Te with your Ti and Se functions. Leave the Ni alone. It works better that way.

MBTI lingo aside, I'm implying that almost no job is going to value introverted intuition. That's for you to nurture and to cherish.

going back to the lingo,
If you're mistyped and are actually an INFP type, you might make a pretty good psychologist...

A job in Design, you don't have to necessarily do the execution yourself but being able to bring together patterns is very important.

It doesn't sound like the job I am doing would probably suit you: counsellor, as you seem to be more into sociology and history from what you are saying. But still I thought it may be useful for you to know that intuition makes all the difference for me in my job and I love it (INFJs are often described as being the 'counsellors'). When I trained as a counsellor with other trainees I often stood out because I had this extra deep perception about what the client/patient was really going through that others didn't have no matter how hard they tried. I am not showing off here, it is simply a natural characteristic that all of us INFJs have. In fact I truly believe that the best counsellors are made up by INFJs and maybe other types should consider if this is really their profession.

I am saying all this because I am aware that INFJs have a tendency to want to help others. So, if a job combines intuition and helping, I think that really satisfies the INFJ. I must say I can't think of a better job for myself: I am relating at a deeply emotional level with people in order to help them. Often they will be defensive and struggle to tell me what is really going on... but by using my intuition I often surprise them, and to their great amazement they feel that I really listened and hence open up in a way that they would never have predicted (as they themselves admit). Basically, what I am saying here is that you seem to use your intuition to predict numbers of questions about statistics etc. and somehow this gives you satisfaction, but I wonder if it would satisfy you even more if your intuition would directly and profoundly help someone. Having said that, counselling training is extremely tiresome and long... but worth it. However there are many other helping jobs that seem to suit INFJs according to research. I practices as a teacher for a short time and really struggled with it, because there are too many people. I believe it is not just me, but most INFJs prefer one-to-one relationships.

Hope this may be of some help.

Well, that's the problem. :) I have a chance to use it/ strengthen it in the classroom, but I'm trying to find a job where I can do the same.

And I'll check out that book. Thanks!

Well, your intuition is always working whether you are actively using it or not. It works in the background constantly. Sounds more like you want fast intuitive responses to a specific work situation; requiring spot on reflexes. Ambulance and emergency workers, firefighter, doctors and those in high pressure situations tend to use their intuition quickly and efficiently if it is something you maybe interested. Intuition does not shut off and on; it constantly works along with your subconscious mind. it's when you use your conscious mind along with your intuitive impulses that brings it more into awareness.