What is the most overrated virtue? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is the most overrated virtue?

There was another occasion where I was asked by my line manager (this came from the principal or the HR manager) to refrain from making freedom of information requests to the school because I 'wasn't allowed' and it was 'unprofessional'. I explained to her that what she was doing (in asking me to stop) was in fact illegal, and I and anyone else had every right to make FOI requests.

They were cooking the books as it turns out (big scandal), but no-one knew at the time. God fucking damn I hate 'professionalism'. Any sort of 'Fe as a virtue in itself' (in MBTI language), especially as a cloak for incompetence, just pisses me off no end.

There was another occasion where I was asked by my line manager (this came from the principal or the HR manager) to refrain from making freedom of information requests to the school because I 'wasn't allowed' and it was 'unprofessional'. I explained to her that what she was doing (in asking me to stop) was in fact illegal, and I and anyone else had every right to make FOI requests.

They were cooking the books as it turns out (big scandal), but no-one knew at the time. God fucking damn I hate 'professionalism'. Any sort of 'Fe as a virtue in itself' (in MBTI language), especially as a cloak for incompetence, just pisses me off no end.

To me that screams clique rather than professionalism.

Like I said before, illegality isn't professional. Its the epitomy of unprofessional behaviour becuse it shows you can't actually do your job without breaking the law.

Anyone wrapping this a cloak of professionalism deserves to be locked away.

#NotMyProfesionalism

Magnanimity

The HR department in a nutshell.
Steam is coming out of my ears right now, LJ. Yep yep yep.

I remember when GDPR was coming in (the European data protection regulations), and our HR manager (who was also the business manager) got up in front of all the staff to explain what it was (I'd been on their case for this for a while because no-one seemed to know it was coming), at one point saying 'it's nothing to do with Europe, so don't worry about Brexit', at which I said 'it's literally a European regulation' dumbfounded. £80k and she didn't know what the fuck she was talking about.

That fucking woman's incompetence drives me insane even now - so many breaches of contract law it's unreal.

Steam is coming out of my ears right now, LJ. Yep yep yep.

I remember when GDPR was coming in (the European data protection regulations), and our HR manager (who was also the business manager) got up in front of all the staff to explain what it was (I'd been on their case for this for a while because no-one seemed to know it was coming), at one point saying 'it's nothing to do with Europe, so don't worry about Brexit', at which I said 'it's literally a European regulation' dumbfounded. £80k and she didn't know what the fuck she was talking about.

That fucking woman's incompetence drives me insane even now - so many breaches of contract law it's unreal.
And her fucking Karen haircut!

I'm gonna be edgy here and say it's virginity, although primarily female virginity.
Whilst it's not something that is at the forefront of many people's minds, I believe there's definitely an underlying societal attitude to it. I mean there's a fair bit one could say about this, but my primary point is that it astounds me when you hear about young women who sell their virginity for tens of thousands... I mean who's paying for that? Go use the money on a lambo. I think it's just insane

I'm gonna be edgy here and say it's virginity, although primarily female virginity.
Whilst it's not something that is at the forefront of many people's minds, I believe there's definitely an underlying societal attitude to it. I mean there's a fair bit one could say about this, but my primary point is that it astounds me when you hear about young women who sell their virginity for tens of thousands... I mean who's paying for that? Go use the money on a lambo. I think it's just insane

Its a throw back to the days where men were less certain about the parenthood of any offspring of their female companions...

If the woman is a virgin and you have relations on your wedding night and she gets pregnant the legitamacy of the child is stronger.

This has become a fetish for purity which has just become more prevalent over the years. Also with the rise in STDs a 'pure' woman has become a desirable object for some men.

That said, a woman with more experience is probably going to be more fun but that's just my view...

Industriousness: diligence, especially in work that leads to natural and supernatural maturity.
Overrated by definition. Because, one can only be as good as his or her ability. Being busy chasing greatness doesn't equate being maturely skilled.

Definition of industrious. 1 : constantly, regularly, or habitually active or occupied : diligent an industrious worker. 2 obsolete : skillful, ingenious.

I feel this to be a personal question, and very subjective. I think we can learn about a person from their choice.

As a Christian, prayerfulness rates high with me. It is said to me how useless it is to an atheist.

I feel this to be a personal question, and very subjective. I think we can learn about a person from their choice.

As a Christian, prayerfulness rates high with me. It is said to me how useless it is to an atheist.

I don't begrudge Christians and their relationship with god. Some of the nicest and most giving people I've ever met have been Christian.

I'd love to see more secular/atheist charities,and a lot of the mainstream atheists tend to be... antagonistic which I'm not so keen on. Whilst I don't believe Jesus was the son of god, he was right on many ideas and his teachings have merit for every day life even if you don't believe in a deity.

Hard for me to answer this because I think that it's not so easy to isolate many virtues from one another. Not easy to organize into most an least important.

But then there are a few here that I don't think of as being virtues so these could apply as overrated. I don't think patriotism is a virtue. But maybe that's because I'm wary of fascists draping themselves in the flag. So maybe I'm just cynical about that. I don't think prayerfulness is a virtue. But that's because I don't think it's virtuous to do nothing and put everything in God's hands hoping for a miracle if you can act now to help yourself or someone else. Prayerfulness will likely mean something different to someone else then because I'm not a very spiritual person.

Last edited:
Man. They're called virtues for good reason.
This is a hard one. Great thread, @Odyne!

I had a difficult time choosing. But, if forced to, I would say that Good Counsel would be of least importance.
I mean, if you abide by the virtues listed, wouldn't it seem unnecessary; they should already know, without consulting another? They can seek counsel within themselves. No?

I was going to decide against this one though, because I may be limiting my ideas of what good counsel means. Maybe counsel isn't intentional in the fact that one must go to another for advice. Maybe counsel is sought within a lecture that's being given by an instructor during class? Or feedback provided by others while in a group setting? If this is considered, then I take back my answer.

Last edited:
Hard for me to answer this because I think that it's not so easy to isolate many virtues from one another. I think they are each important and necessary for different outcomes.

But then there are a few here that I don't think of as being virtues so these could apply as overrated. I don't think patriotism is a virtue. But maybe that's because I'm wary of fascists draping themselves in the flag. So maybe I'm just cynical about that. I don't think prayerfulness is a virtue. But that's because I don't think it's virtuous to do nothing and put everything in God's hands hoping for a miracle if you can act now to help yourself or someone else. Prayerfulness will likely mean something different to someone else then because I'm not a very spiritual person.

I was considering patriotism as a least important too. I'm not all that patriotic. I'm not all that proud to be an American. But then I considered patriotism on all levels, even if the smallest. I think that at the very least, I know I need my country to protect me. I also respect the laws which are put into place. I do respect all those who serve and have served. So, even though I'm not out in the stands during rallies, holding up signs that say "I love America," I'm still somewhat patriotic, I think. lol.

I agree with your thoughts on prayerfulness in the sense that it will mean something different to each person.
I think this virtue applies to all religions and spiritualities. I think that prayer comes in many forms. Meditation, for example. Or looking up to the skies while contemplating how small we are and how blessed we are. Or dancing, even. I view prayer as positive energy which we consciously release while in a conscious, here now, moment. (hopefully that makes sense)

I quoted you because you were the first response I read, and I got anxious to give my thoughts as well. So, I'm not arguing or debating here. Just branching off of your thoughts.

I was considering patriotism as a least important too. I'm not all that patriotic. I'm not all that proud to be an American. But then I considered patriotism on all levels, even if the smallest. I think that at the very least, I know I need my country to protect me. I also respect the laws which are put into place. I do respect all those who serve and have served. So, even though I'm not out in the stands during rallies, holding up signs that say "I love America," I'm still somewhat patriotic, I think. lol.

I agree with your thoughts on prayerfulness in the sense that it will mean something different to each person.
I think this virtue applies to all religions and spiritualities. I think that prayer comes in many forms. Meditation, for example. Or looking up to the skies while contemplating how small we are and how blessed we are. Or dancing, even. I view prayer as positive energy which we consciously release while in a conscious, here now, moment. (hopefully that makes sense)

I quoted you because you were the first response I read, and I got anxious to give my thoughts as well. So, I'm not arguing or debating here. Just branching off of your thoughts.

It's good actually. Because I wanted to quote you about something you said! I wouldn't be in this thread if I didn't want to be challenged to see it differently.

After I made my post I thought more about patriotism and I do think it's important for the same reasons you gave. I just get cynical about it because I think patriotism is being warped into a hyper partisan political thing.

I was hoping someone would go more into why they think prayerfulness is a virtue. I didn't really consider those reasons.

And you had mentioned in your post that good counsel seemed overrated. (For much of the same reasons @Ren gave in his post). But when I thought of good counsel, I thought of someone in a leadership position seeking advice on policy from experts in various fields. To know when you don't know something and be open to learning so that you can make an informed decision.. Which also requires humility.

Last edited: