What is Te like? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is Te like?

Your story sounds like I would have had an amazing time there :tearsofjoy:
Maybe.

What's weird is that these people who I berated (they berated me too lol) for a five month period became my loyal friends who I regularly speak with to this day.

Stockholm Syndrome?

Maybe.

What's weird is that these people who I berated (they berated me too lol) for a five month period became my loyal friends who I regularly speak with to this day.

Stockholm Syndrome?
Or just appreciative of a competetive natural field ;)

Sometimes I could use that too, it can be good sometimes to be pushed on by peers, even if it wrecks my whole metaphysical energy system if the pressure is applied for too long. It's not a weakness, just not the way I work. But I do miss it - at least there is a goal to aim for.

Or just appreciative of a competetive natural field ;)

Sometimes I could use that too, it can be good sometimes to be pushed on by peers, even if it wrecks my whole metaphysical energy system if the pressure is applied for too long. It's not a weakness, just not the way I work. But I do miss it - at least there is a goal to aim for.
I believe that our long-term goals keep us honorable.

Wanna compare?? ;)

giphy.gif

Oh, and everyone who don't have Te - it would be great if you shared your interpretations of Te as well!

I'm sure you have Te, just like you have plenty of Se as well, or you wouldn't survive more than a few hours in the world on your own! - it's just that it isn't one of your preferred functions. Looking at the people with virtuoso primary or secondary Te is misleading because it's like comparing someone walking to the shops with a good marathon runner. They both use their legs to get about - it's just that there is a big difference in degree.

So let's say you drive into town, park your car in a pay carpark, go to the parking meter, take out the right amount of money, pay and get your ticket and display it in your car window. You have been using Ti and Te throughout this exercise, making a constant stream of logical judgements about the real world and acting in the world on those judgements. They haven't been dramatic, and they are a bit like breathing - you only notice them if you watch yourself doing them. The Te is how you judge how to position your car alongside other drivers on the road and in the car park, how you form your intentions and indicate them to other people - when you turn, for example, or change lanes, or pull up. Of course there may be Fe going on as well - the courtesy you show in letting someone walk across your way, the care you take parking so the guy parked next to you can get into his car OK, the rude gesture you make to the boy racer who cuts you up ;).

In my job as a middle manager in an IS group, I had to use a blend of Fe and Te most of the time in dealing practically with the people and issues that came my way. Using the Thinking functions was tiring for me, but it worked pretty well for us :) I think that INFJs as well as INTJs can be pretty good at organisational effectiveness. We come at it from a different angle, that's all - an INTJ will be very focused on the structural efficiency, but still needs to place and motivate the people involved, an INFJ will probably start off motivating the people to work imaginatively in the best way within the existing structure, but will happily design new ways of doing things if it proved necessary. Both types are Ni dominant and the insights that come from there are similar - and we both need to use a blend of Fe and Te to bring our intuitions to life in the outer world.

As an aside ... I think that there is an issue of sensitivity in many INFJs that inhibits the actions they take in the world sometimes where an INTJ is less inhibited by this sort of thing. I don't think this should be confused with a lack of Te though, but a constraint on how prepared we are to act on it.

From 'Introduction to Type Dynamics and Development' by Katherine Myers and Linda Kirby

To experience extraverted Thinking

1. Identify someone with whom you have a disagreement. Ask them to discuss this with you. Tell them clearly, straightforwardly, and logically what you have a problem with and then ask them to do the same with you. Try to see this as a problem-solving session, and keep a detached viewpoint.

2. Identify a task you have been putting off, like cleaning out the garage. Figure out the most logical and efficient way to complete it. List the resources you will need and where you might find them, and then organize people to accomplish the task. You may want to make lists of each person's tasks and check them off as they complete them.

3. The next time you are in charge of a meeting, construct a clear, logical agenda identifying issues for discussion and action items. During the meeting, concentrate on keeping everyone task-oriented. Move systematically through the agenda, making sure issues are clearly defined, considering options and resources. Discuss each problem solution in terms of feasibility, efficiency, and consequences. Ask the group to votejfgji action items. Go with the majority decision and devise an action plan to implement it. Who will be responsible for which pieces, and what are their deadlines?

4. Plan for a visit of several days from a valued friend who has not visited you for some time. Think of what she enjoys and likes, and which of the many resources in your area you would like her to experience, including people who. would be interesting for her to meet. Make tentative plans and schedules for these activities, with supplies and options on hand, and prepare for everything. When she arrives, discuss the options with her and put the tentative plans into action.

5. Write a letter to your Representative or a local official about an issue. Start with your conclusion (the position you want this official to take) and outline your arguments to support it. Make the letter direct, clear, logical, and concise. Use precise statements and language. Rewrite it, and then ask an extraverted Thinking type to read and critique it for you.​

Last edited:
Te feels more like throwing out truth subjective or objective (anything that can pass) to bring closure, order or direction

It doesn’t consider nicities unless filtered through other functions (think ENFP) or learned through experience

Useful when something “needs” to happen

In NTJs, it’s useful because most of world seems to value “action” very highly and because these types have vision or perception coupled with it, things can progress on larger scale. Think of most of Corporate America as a giant Ni/Te or Te/Ni bomb

A lot of times, things don’t absolutely need to happen or could be better if more thought and creativity was applied. Not the most patient of functions. Little bit of a personal preference anyways

Te is the secret sauce in ExFPs too. They’re spontaneous and fun, and Te makes it jump out to life because it’s in the third slot. However, because it’s first filtered through feelings it comes off more refined

Last edited:
Te is pretty forceful

It’s one of those functions that when you see it (especially in Te dom/aux), you need to stand your position and then re-approach and attack

Or beat it to the punch

I don’t get off on that stuff, but it seems like the only way to combat it

It’s why Te is so competitive. It’s like it needs to get out and into the world. Even if it’s not entirely true or toxic

I’ve seen Te just scorch earth and obliterate people. It’s also backed by Fi which is more about subjective individual desires so watch out

The most ruthless people I’ve met have been Te dom/aux

Could be a good thing or your worst nightmare

Last edited:
Last Te rant for now

One specific issue I have with Te is I’ve seen users take things I would say as literal, objective truth

I know that sounds odd, but let me explain

I feel my Ne will just throw stuff out there, and I really don’t have much conviction behind it, it’s just sort of throw it out. Like daydreaming or random hypotheticals about anything

A Te user would more than likely make an error and take that as objective truth and depending on personal agendas take action on it

Yikes

It didn’t quite fully hit me how “off” this way of thinking is until I started dating an ENFP

They say all kinds of random stuff, and a good amount is thinking out loud and not really serious. It’s about exploring out loud. In a society that favors confidence and order, this stuff doesn’t really fit in and is misunderstood

At best, it’s “quirky”

And no, the answer isn’t just hold it in and assert what you’re confident in at the right time

Anyways, #NeLife

Last edited:
Following the posts above , I would like to tackle Te from the perspective of an INTJ, it's interesting that the original post states the works of Plato as an interest to INTJ's as this would fit the following analogy:

Imagine that inside the mind of the Te user sits a group of Te thinkers (let's go with philosophers). When new information enters our mind it would be as if a giant basket of papers brought in by an Ni messenger.
Each philosopher would pick up a paper, read the information on it and presents this information to the other philosophers. They'll start debating whether the information is correct, whether it is viable with the information that was already presented by each philosopher and whether it fits the whole subject. When all papers have been taken out of the basket and all information has been debated, the leading philosopher (let's call him Socrates) would then propose a final statement. When all philosophers agree on that statement, that statement would then be presented to the outside world, if not, he'll debate again with the other philosophers or waits for more information coming from the Ni messenger to further debate the topic.
Does it mean Socrates is always right? Certainly not. But Socrates, being the leading authority in the group would have enough viability in regards to the validity of the statement, even if that statement is based on incomplete information (if sufficient information has been processed, and yes therein lies the problem).

The tldr version; Te invokes an inner debate/dialogue on a subject based on incoming information, it processes this, creates a conclusion and then uses this conclusion as a decision statement. Te, as it is an extraverted function, also tends to voice the decision-making outwards, hence that the Te's will force a debate vocally and pull in outside parties in the decision making.
Bad Te users enforce their decision-making on the outside party (hence the destructiveness/competitiveness).

Fi is really subjective to each person, as these are a set of deeply rooted convictions, so a good Fi might actually enforce a positive morality behind a decision, a bad Fi would impact it negatively. I do agree that Fi might easily break the objectivity of a decision.

Ti works differently as it would take on information as a single person, a smart little thinker that would take the giant basket to itself and sort everything out, views every paper of information piece by piece and then creates an inner decision based on all the information it has gathered. It is much stronger in regards to the depth of the decision as it has been taken by one perspective, but it takes a longer time to reach that conclusion.

PS: Imagine if these Te thinkers would get a big jug of wine added during the debate. Makes for some interesting (but worthless) decision making. :wink:
giphy.gif

Following the posts above , I would like to tackle Te from the perspective of an INTJ, it's interesting that the original post states the works of Plato as an interest to INTJ's as this would fit the following analogy:

Imagine that inside the mind of the Te user sits a group of Te thinkers (let's go with philosophers). When new information enters our mind it would be as if a giant basket of papers brought in by an Ni messenger.
Each philosopher would pick up a paper, read the information on it and presents this information to the other philosophers. They'll start debating whether the information is correct, whether it is viable with the information that was already presented by each philosopher and whether it fits the whole subject. When all papers have been taken out of the basket and all information has been debated, the leading philosopher (let's call him Socrates) would then propose a final statement. When all philosophers agree on that statement, that statement would then be presented to the outside world, if not, he'll debate again with the other philosophers or waits for more information coming from the Ni messenger to further debate the topic.
Does it mean Socrates is always right? Certainly not. But Socrates, being the leading authority in the group would have enough viability in regards to the validity of the statement, even if that statement is based on incomplete information (if sufficient information has been processed, and yes therein lies the problem).

The tldr version; Te invokes an inner debate/dialogue on a subject based on incoming information, it processes this, creates a conclusion and then uses this conclusion as a decision statement. Te, as it is an extraverted function, also tends to voice the decision-making outwards, hence that the Te's will force a debate vocally and pull in outside parties in the decision making.
Bad Te users enforce their decision-making on the outside party (hence the destructiveness/competitiveness).

Fi is really subjective to each person, as these are a set of deeply rooted convictions, so a good Fi might actually enforce a positive morality behind a decision, a bad Fi would impact it negatively. I do agree that Fi might easily break the objectivity of a decision.

Ti works differently as it would take on information as a single person, a smart little thinker that would take the giant basket to itself and sort everything out, views every paper of information piece by piece and then creates an inner decision based on all the information it has gathered. It is much stronger in regards to the depth of the decision as it has been taken by one perspective, but it takes a longer time to reach that conclusion.

PS: Imagine if these Te thinkers would get a big jug of wine added during the debate. Makes for some interesting (but worthless) decision making. :wink:
giphy.gif

I feel Ti can adapt to Te over a few decades of life much easier than Te to Ti

Over time it’s possible to collect enough information, sort it and have a variety of experience and application so that Ti in theory has multiple messengers/thinkers

Coming to quick conclusion and action based on Ti is possible

In fact, I’d argue over a hypothetical infinite life especially with consistent and different experiences, Ti would exponentially outperform Te

With enough mental capacity and maturation time, sure. The same can be said with Ni over Ne with information gathering.
In reality, however, our mental strengths do change over time, thus we are limited in the timeframe where we can reach the full potential of said cognitive functions.
So I wouldn't focus that much on the hypothesis, unless you got an abnormally strong Ti that can surpass the speed (not the depth!) of Te in said timeframe.
Also, don't forget that in extent we also do have our shadow functions, so you can use Te as well as I could use Ti (in a less efficient way).

Sadly i couldn't find an interesting article anymore in regards to the specific cognitive functions per age (i recall that our language skills are the most efficient in our 60's and our short term memory peaks in our 20's,
it had very interesting graphs).
But here are some interesting reads in regards to the topic:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/how-memory-and-thinking-ability-change-with-age
http://columbianeuroresearch.org/sergievsky/pdfs/agingandmemoryinhumans.pdf

In any case, what matters is to keep training your cognitive functions/brain while you age, this is very beneficial to your brain/cognitive capacity and to your overal health.

I tend to find Ti has more depth than Te especially over time. A little confused...

Also, not sure about Ni but from most of my exposure to it is it’s not complete. I don’t know if that is a limitation of Ni or Te/Fe

Feels like Ti (depth) and Ne (breadth) would capture the most information all things equal. Those pulls could be shortened over time given more accurate and flexible models coupled with experience of outcomes and projections

Ni feels more like range which seems like it would just project more and more. More like “forward”

Thoughts

I tend to find Ti has more depth than Te especially over time. A little confused...
Correct.

Also, not sure about Ni but from most of my exposure to it is it’s not complete. I don’t know if that is a limitation of Ni or Te/Fe
I'm not following on this one, in what sense is it not complete?

Feels like Ti (depth) and Ne (breadth) would capture the most information all things equal. Those pulls could be shortened over time given more accurate and flexible models coupled with experience of outcomes and projections
I can see the reasoning behind it, the ability to push the processing speed of a lot of information through Ne (Ti will still construct the model). So sure, Ti and Ne can certainly be a general powerhouse.

Still, I think Ni could have an advantage over Ne, given specific subjects (as in: a projection model which requires a vertical prediction model, let's say predicting a possible outcome based on an internal prediction model, Ne would be more realistic in predicting by using (new) available information. Ni, i think, may predict things better on limited information (if no more information is possible). ...i think i understand what you mean that it is not complete, Ni constructs a complete model. Ne will shape a model through Ti and information.

As for a personal story, my father (and also a good friend of mine) are INTP (mother is INFJ), i'm INTJ. I tend to listen more to my intuition in regards to new situations and can generally handle it myself, but when I'm really stuck with a problem i tend to listen to what my father/friend have to say in regards to the topic. Mostly i still tend to go with my own intuition based on the information what they have given me and it works most of the time. But if it contradicts that what my father/friend has said...they would be right most of the time at the end. And i have respected that over the years. But the gut Ni thinking/feeling will always dominate and in certain moments it really can predict something that just isn't predictable in a raw logical sense. We Ni's need those predictions to enforce our Ni.
So in general I should listen to TiNe..but if there is a hunch from NiTe/Fe that something is off...I'll be VERY sure to double check it.

Ni feels more like range which seems like it would just project more and more. More like “forward” thoughts
Correct.

This is becoming a bit of an abstract topic...difficult....I had to double check on the functions again to ascertain my argumentation. :yum:

https://www.careerplanner.com/8CognitiveFunctions/Introverted-Intuiting.cfm
https://www.careerplanner.com/8CognitiveFunctions/Extraverted-Intuiting.cfm

Reactions: ClevelandINTP
Ah and i see the confusion in regards to Te and depth, my mistake, I misstated the phrase.
So I wouldn't focus that much on the hypothesis, unless you got an abnormally strong Ti that can surpass the speed (not the depth! -> as Ti already has more depth than Te, but Te has more speed than Ti) of Te in said timeframe.

Reactions: ClevelandINTP
Yeah, the “limitation” comment was acknowledging Ni seems to take less and extrapolate more and coupled with Te or Fe that time to “execute” may even be less. Which could sacrifice accuracy of an assertion. Like Te or Fe tend to force an action quicker just because

Just a thought

Reactions: dragulagu
Also, I feel like an INTJ born by the golden pair INTP male and INFJ female is quite a pedigree and a stable of wise counsel

When do you plan on taking over earth ;)