What is "knowledge"? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is "knowledge"?

I believe the process of gaining knowledge and applying knowledge is the power within knowledge. Lots of knowledge exists out there for people to take and use, and it is when someone acts to engage that knowledge, that the power begins.

I look at students who know lots of things, but they don't know how to expand on that knowledge or apply it. I think this disempowers them, and you can see their motivation to learn and to further their understanding of the world wean when they don't connect the 'knowing' with the 'doing'/'applying'.

Few people liked my first answer so I am changing it.

Knowledge is a bowl of chicken nuggets. There.

Knowledge itself is a weird size to define, to say the least. I'm going to try and give a few ways to interpret and use the word.

I remember learning about the word logic and how it came from the ancient Greek word logike which meant "reason". That's one way to look at it, that it's purely assumptions about what must be a logical conclusion. "Two plus two is four, therefore I know (logic) that it is four."

Another type could be that knowledge is an account of what has happened, what is happening, or what will definitely happen. This type of knowledge isn't pure though, because you can be wrong in your recollections. This type of knowledge is also very subjective and can be used to manipulate collective facts. An example of a manipulation of knowledge would be to argue that Hitler was a great guy because he stabilized the German economy, gave more power to stronger workers unions and fought for animals rights. While these things are knowledgeably true and logical, they do not paint the whole picture of the man, as we all know.

A third type of knowledge would be a type of insight or realization through personal experiences. This could be a realization that life is short, because of a tragic loss in ones family. It could also be a religious sensation that suddenly gives your life a new sense of purpose and direction. These are often used in movies, a guy is sitting at a bar and in a pan-zoom into his face, he realizes that he simply has to do what they audience wants him to do.