What is intimacy?

Peace

Community Member
Sep 18, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What does intimacy means to you? I've heard people describe it as "giving" and others define it as "closeness". I wonder if you were going to try to teach the concept of intimacy how you would approach it.

intimacy is a closeness between two people which is unique to their interaction. I would teach it as a mutual give and take between two people based on a unique or special feeling between the two. Can't be replicated with anyone else.

for me it is a state in a relationship in which the walls created to protect us are removed. . we come togther as we really are. . we have no fear of the other. .

Intimacy is a concept that refers to the sense of closeness one has toward another person. It can't be condensed to something more concrete, because each person experiences it differently. That's my POV, at least.

Reactions: Gaze
What's love got to do with it?

Sharing; "loosening ego boundaries" is a great summary.
There are different levels of intimacy, of course, but that is the simplest definition I can think up.
Teaching intimacy and teaching respect for self and others seems synonymous to me.
Must have at least a fledgling identity before anything can be truly taught, but that's obvious.

On one level, warmth; a sense of longlasting companionship and connection, but more than that.

On another, the sense, ability, and capacity to throw the entire content of your head / receive theirs, if you so wish without fearing any repulsion / repercussion.
(I might be too much here, but you get the idea(l?)....)

From reading these posts some common elements appear...

1. Allowing yourself to be emotionally vulnerable
2. Interacting with reciprocity; giving and receiving
3. Being authentic

Intimacy sounds a lot like a process, where people are brought from outside emotional walls into the realm of your authentic self through reciprocal interactions of giving and receiving.

Reactions: Annabreher and Gaze
From reading these posts some common elements appear...

1. Allowing yourself to be emotionally vulnerable
2. Interacting with reciprocity; giving and receiving
3. Being authentic

Intimacy sounds a lot like a process, where people are brought from outside emotional walls into the realm of your authentic self through reciprocal interactions of giving and receiving.

agree, authenticity, vulnerability, and trust are definitely a major part of intimacy.

You might also think of intimacy as a shared space where you and your love can be most authentically yourselves. Where you can shed the masks and social personas you wear in the outside world and just be as you are, with complete acceptance for the other as they are. It's being at your most naked: mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally, and feeling not just safe with the other, but completely seen and celebrated.

Sharing parts of yourself, and absorbing the other within the safety of a bubble where no one else exists. It is freedom. Free of insecurities, and defense mechanisms. Free of control. A peaceful interchange.

I would define intimacy as a state of cooperative being in which two or more people breakdown the boundaries that they show to the rest of the world and allow themselves to be vulnerable to the other parties involved.

Reactions: grt$5vb
It's when I push my hand onto the back of a girl's head and she immediately knows what to do without me ever having to say "suck my cock."

Reactions: Nixie and Bird
Ewww

Okay, tries to revive thread from the dick move above.

Intimacy is sharing yourself without reserve with someone else.

@Kgal :

Your negative rep ("Not applicable to topic") on my above post - care to explain how it's not applicable? I mean, nothing says intimacy like unspoken communication.

@Kgal :

Your negative rep ("Not applicable to topic") on my above post - care to explain how it's not applicable? I mean, nothing says intimacy like unspoken communication.

You used your hand to touch a person's head. They responded to your touch That's direct communication. I do that with my horse and my dog.
There is nothing intimate about it.

Reactions: Wyote
My humor is lost amongst the chatter--dick move--literally and figuratively....

I think it's being able to be yourself with someone in a way you can't or choose not to be with anyone else.

Reactions: grt$5vb