What IS an INFJ? | INFJ Forum

What IS an INFJ?

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
According to Myers, an INFJ is a person who expresses a preference for Introversion over Extroversion, Intuition over Sensing, Feeling over Thinking, and Judging over Perceiving. This definition is based entirely upon self assessment.

However, her theories were based on the work of Carl Jung, who theorized that there are 8 different ways in which the human mind processes and analyzes information. While Jung never actually created personality types (which implies he didn't believe in such a thing, or else he would have), he did postulate that each of us has a Dominant function that we use most often and an Auxiliary function that we use most often to support it. Jung believed that any combination of functions were possible as Dominant and Auxiliary, but that they were most often paired as one rational and irrational function. (He considered himself to be a Ti Dominant and Ni Auxiliary user - which has caused an endless debate about his actual type since the man who pioneered all of this doesn't fit into the models that followed.)

Based upon the model that Jung created, Myers (and Briggs) created a typology test that makes the assumption of determining those cognitive function preferences from a series of self assessment questions based on discerning axis preferences. The assumption is that if a person scores both Introverted and Judging preferences, their Dominant function is their Perceiving and Introverted function, while their Auxiliary function is their Judging and Extroverted function. For example, if a person scored INFJ, it is assumed that their Dominant function is Ni and their Auxiliary function is Fe (even though Jung never claimed that functions must pair like this). Notice my repeated use of 'assume'. Just because someone scores a certain way on this self assessment tool, does not automatically imply these assumptions. There are a host of problems associated with self assessment, in addition to the fact that these scores could be perfectly valid, yet miss the actual Dominant and Auxiliary functions. But, I digress.

From Myers' model, many others have expanded the definition of type. Theorists like Beebe, Barrens, Thomson, and others have gone so far as to assign each function a role in one's psyche based on which type that person identifies most with. For example, in Beebe's model an INFJ prefers their functions in the following order Ni, Fe, Ti, Se, Ne, Fi, Te, and Si. Ni is Dominant, Fe is Auxiliary, Ti is Tertiary, and Se is Inferior. The other functions are assumed to be 'shadow functions' that perform inverse roles to the 'primary functions'. Interestingly, this model is highly specific for a theory that is based on self assessment, and up until the point the model was created it had no concrete scientific data to back it up. It was also based on a self assessment test by two people who didn't even have psychology degrees, based on the statements of a man who did not believe that the human mind follows any form of type model. In fact, quite the opposite. Jung believed that aside from the Dominant and Auxiliary functions, all other functions were Inferior functions. Most interestingly, Jung believed that the Dominant and Auxiliary functions were not always used, but simply used most often and most reflexively. Jung also believed that these preferences could change as a person grows, develops, and adapts.

And then came the Nardi Study, where a statistician at a University recorded the cerebral activity levels of varying subjects of people who self identify and self asses as various personality types. The findings quickly associated patterns of activity in the cerebral cortex with specific Dominant cognitive functions. Each of the 8 cognitive functions has a rather distinct set of areas in which they are most and least active, as well as how those areas interact with one another. This isn't to say that these patterns are identical from person to person, but rather that their signature is distinct. From there, a sub pattern is usually discernible as an Auxiliary function, but only as variations on the Dominant pattern not necessarily as miniature versions of another pattern. These sub patterns show a greater degree of variation. However, from this point, each of the subjects diverged into their own unique signatures. Just as Jung postulated almost a century ago, with no scientific measurements, the Nardi study seems to prove that each person has a Dominant and Auxiliary function, with all the rest being Inferior, and each function being used situationally.

According to the Nardi study, Ni is very similar to a pre-sleep state in which the mind operates in all areas at moderate levels of activity, rather than in specific areas at higher levels of activity. Everyone has the ability to enter into this 'zen state', but some do so more often and more reflexively than others. For people who self identified as INTJ or INFJ, this was more frequent than with those who self identified as other types, but by no means constant. INFJ preference subjects overall exhibited greater degrees of activity in the right and rear portions of the brain, but this does not mean they didn't also use other parts of their cerebral geography when appropriate. The visual and predictive centers, as well as the social centers were commonly used, even in activities that would not normally require them. Outside of this pattern, each of the INFJs had their own areas of activity, often related to skills they had developed. For example, an INFJ that was a life long martial artist had more activity in spatial processing regions, while a mathematician had greater activity in numerical processing regions. One could assume that these are manifestations of Se or Ti respectively, but these are not necessarily indicative of how Ti or Se Dominant minds operate, but instead are areas that are commonly used. The most interesting thing to note was that the degree to which the subjects that identified as INFJ entered and stayed in the Ni dream state varied from subject to subject, as well as the sorts of activities that triggered this state. In other words, there was no set way in which the Ni Dominant mind operated, other than it entered the Ni state more often than other minds.

For those of you who don't know how the cerebral cortex operates, try to imagine it like the hard drive for a computer. Imagine each area is a separate folder, containing similar files. In neurotypical people, the mind stores entire files (memories) in associated folders, and records them from start to finish. When accessing those memories, the cerebral cortex stimulates other memories in that region, creating an associative effect. For example, if you store your math memories in the math section of the brain and you think about math, you're likely to slowly remember other math principles the more you access the specific memory you're looking for.

However, because of the way the Ni Dominant mind operates, it is most likely that instead of storing any given memory in one area, it breaks that memory in component parts and stores the parts in related folders. Think of it like how torrents break a file into a bunch of tiny chunks to move them, then repairs them once they are accessed. This requires extra effort from the cingulate gyrus (the mental switchboard), but creates a situation where a person is accessing memories in many areas, and is therefore able to associate each of those memories with much more specific memories - and 'subconsciously' detect patterns that neurotypicals otherwise miss.

So what IS an INFJ exactly?

It is a person who commonly enters the Ni zen state, and has more development on the right, rear and social areas of the brain than not. It is also someone who self identifies as INFJ, either through self assessment or self discovery, as well as someone who has a clear N preference, but also prefers F. However, this creates a very broad spectrum of mental configurations and capacities. Varying degrees of social activity, energy levels, and performance in a host of different areas. While the number of people who can fit into this category are rather small, the category itself is actually rather broad. Some are extremely withdrawn or shy due to greater activity in the 'introverted' areas of the brain, personal experiences, or otherwise. Some are rather outgoing due to greater activity in the 'extroverted' areas of the brain, personal experiences, strong libido (in the classic sense) or otherwise. Some are very passive and reactive, while others are very assertive and active. What makes all of these people INFJs is the fact that their mental configuration falls within the spectrum of how the minds of those who self assess as INFJ operate.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's a person. They're not quite as special as they like to believe sometimes. ;)

Not 'special'?....whew what a tough crowd!

More able to slip into an 'Ni zen state'...that sounds pretty special to me! lol

Why are people so grudging of INFJ abilities? All the energy spent bashing INFJ's....couldn't it be better spent? Going by the negativity that is often directed towards INFJ's you'd think that INFJ's are the ones behind the worlds problems

Are INFJ's really deserving of so much bad feeling or do they just make easy targets because they are too busy being in an Ni zen state to properly defend themselves? As well as the fact that they are the minority type

An excellent summation of the history of MB, its predecessors and its derivatives...you left out Socionics, though.

@VH, can the same breadth in qualities and characteristics be observed in the other types, or is the INFJ category simply more malleable?

I remember reading an article some time ago that was titled "The Many Faces of INFJ." It's an exploration of the implications of what you yourself have laid out here: that INFJs can be quite different from one another. The question that naturally sprang into my mind from that was: how far could one deviate from the INFJ "norm" and still be an INFJ? I mean, if there were no borders or boundaries, then everyone would be INFJ, and everyone would also be every other type as an extension!

The second question was...are all the other types just as malleable as INFJs, or do they tend to dwell, on average, far closer to the "norm" for their type?

The standard deviation for INFJs is thus the highest of any type.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's a person. They're not quite as special as they like to believe sometimes. ;)

Sister, doesn't everyone want to believe they're in some way special?​

Actually I would postulate they are more afraid they aren't.....

That trait is more constitutional to an Enneagram Four than an INFJ. However, many INFJs are Fours.

You presume I assume.....

Well, that's what was implied.

Anyway, IMO, and that of many scientists, what makes a theory or model valid is its ability to accurately predict results in the real world. No model is infallible. MB and Enneagram both do a pretty good job of accurately predicting results in the real world -- therefore, as tools for approximation, they are both valid, and my former statement holds.

/personal logic

Well, that's what was implied.

Anyway, IMO, and that of many scientists, what makes a theory or model valid is its ability to accurately predict results in the real world. No model is infallible. MB and Enneagram both do a pretty good job of accurately predicting results in the real world -- therefore, as tools for approximation, they are both valid, and my former statement holds.

/personal logic

Actually I didn't mention MBTI at all......so your assumption of my implied acceptance was in error.

Since they are both self identifying systems, one could just be configuring results toward's one ideal and not toward one's acutal personality/behavior type (if the ones being postulated are truly valid).

I do however think that both theories have kernals of truth on some level, just like almost everything.

Actually I didn't mention MBTI at all......so your assumption of my implied acceptance was in error.

I see. Are you deliberately being vague just to mess with me? Wench!

Since they are both self identifying systems, one could just be configuring results toward's one ideal and not toward one's acutal personality/behavior type (if the ones being postulated are truly valid).

Yes, I've noted that problem too. The intended and established protocol for application of the model notwithstanding, I've always thought it an excellent idea to consider input from people who both know you well and are equally, or better, acquainted with the theory in determining one's type.

I also see it everywhere that it's not legitimate unless you go and have a certified professional type you, but there are problems with that too.

I do however think that both theories have kernals of truth on some level, just like almost everything.

Exactly. They often predict results with uncanny accuracy.

Last edited:
So what IS an INFJ exactly?

It is a person who commonly enters the Ni zen state, and has more development on the right, rear and social areas of the brain than not. It is also someone who self identifies as INFJ, either through self assessment or self discovery, as well as someone who has a clear N preference, but also prefers F. However, this creates a very broad spectrum of mental configurations and capacities. Varying degrees of social activity, energy levels, and performance in a host of different areas. While the number of people who can fit into this category are rather small, the category itself is actually rather broad. Some are extremely withdrawn or shy due to greater activity in the 'introverted' areas of the brain, personal experiences, or otherwise. Some are rather outgoing due to greater activity in the 'extroverted' areas of the brain, personal experiences, strong libido (in the classic sense) or otherwise. Some are very passive and reactive, while others are very assertive and active. What makes all of these people INFJs is the fact that their mental configuration falls within the spectrum of how the minds of those who self assess as INFJ operate.

Thanks for touching on the point that INFJs (hell, any types) are a diverse bunch. It's tiresome to see people bicker with and detract each other over who is a "true" INFJ simply because they differ slightly in their motivations and behaviors. Personally, I think all the intuitives are fantastic in their own respects, especially the INFJ. I always thought of them as the instigators, the provocateurs who quietly stoke the flames of change and instill in others either the discontent they feel with their environment. Equally, they are a calming agent, balancing the cosmic equation wherever they go; intentionally or unintentionally, but always by nature. They are both these things, in varying degrees, and also neither. I always admired the fluid, protean nature of the INFJ, far more so than the other intuitives.

Reactions: muir and VH
An excellent summation of the history of MB, its predecessors and its derivatives...you left out Socionics, though.

I consider Socionics to be a further extention of the models created by Beebe, Barrens, Thomson, etc. Just like those models, Socionics has come up with as many valid points as they've come up with subjective nonsense. However, I do suggest reading up on Socionics, if you can get a good translation of the original Russian theories. The transliterations can be very confusing, and the English speakers who have taken up Soicionics and run with it remind me of the Enneagram crowd - extremely subjective and almost not scientific at all. The original Russian stuff is quite good.

@VH, can the same breadth in qualities and characteristics be observed in the other types, or is the INFJ category simply more malleable?

There are subtle variations on all of the types, especially with respect to regions of high activity. In nearly all of the cases, the subjects could explain what skills they had developed to activate those areas. So, while the types of skills that people can develop are completely malleable, thus proving the adaptability of the mind, the base type pattern is sill fairly obvious.

To continue the computer analogy, think of type pattern as the operating system and skills as the software we load onto that computer with that operating system. Any operating system can run any software, but some operating systems are much better suited for certain softwares than others, while less suited softwares might need to work the bugs out. The operating system will still be rather obvious, despite what software it is running, even if it is running a bunch of software not normally considered to be compatible with that operating system.

An Ni operating system can run Se, Ti, Si, and Ne softwares. This won't change the fact that it is an Ni operating system, but will tend to score higher if you're trying to determine operating system by combined total of softwares.

However, Ni and Ne operating systems are much better at running other function softwares than the rest, due to the way they attempt to use the whole cerebral cortex, rather than focusing on the areas already in use. Therefore, you could say that the N doms are the most malleable of the personalities - especially if you use any criteria other than looking at the operating system to determine type.

I remember reading an article some time ago that was titled "The Many Faces of INFJ." It's an exploration of the implications of what you yourself have laid out here: that INFJs can be quite different from one another. The question that naturally sprang into my mind from that was: how far could one deviate from the INFJ "norm" and still be an INFJ? I mean, if there were no borders or boundaries, then everyone would be INFJ, and everyone would also be every other type as an extension!

The borders for INFJ (and INTJ) are an elevated amount and duration of Ni zen states, as compared to people who self assessed as other types. Remember that this is a scientific study based on self assessment and self identification of the subjects. The study could not run the EEG scan, then tell someone they had their type wrong. The study had to simply record the data as presented, then analyze it as a whole.

The subjects who self identified as INFJ (or INTJ) tended to go into the Ni zen state more often and stay there longer than any of the other types. Even the majority of the ones that didn't do this as often or as long as the other INFJs (or INTJs) still did this more than those who self assessed as other types.

There was some overlap with ENFJs and ENTJs, but from what I understand, ENFJs tended to be triggered into their Ni zen state when thinking about other people - while ENTJs tended to trigger based on their need to delegate and operate on the logical big picture. Both of these types had much less ability to zen state for other subjects. However, there was some degree of overlap between INFJs and ENFJs, as well as INTJs and ENTJs - with the discerning factor being what triggered the Ni zen state. For INFJs (and INTJs) it was pretty much anything they found interesting. For ENFJs, this tended to be people (Fe). For ENTJs, this tended to be systems application (Te). If you talk to an ENFJ about people for an hour while running an EEG scan, you could very well see more Ni zen state than if you small talked an INFJ about things that were of no interest to the INFJ. The distinction in types appears to be what triggers the Ni zen state.

However, that being said, some people who self identified as INFJ tended to trigger when thinking about people more than anything else, while some subjects who self identified as ENFJs tended to trigger when something interested them. This could be simple mistyping on the part of the subjects, or it could be indicative of the Ni dom developing other activity or the Ni Aux developing greater mastery of the Ni zen state. It's a gray area with no clear way to determine a positive or negative. Therefore, if a person is fairly well educated on type, and has self assessed themselves as one or the other, then that's what is accepted as the type.

So, to humor the INFJ need for complete precision with respect to defining the extremely subtle distinctions in the patterns they see... INFJs can go from extremely prone to Ni zen state, and consider those subjects "true INFJs", to more prone to Ni zen state than other types and consider those subjects "normal INFJs", down to Ni zen state use that borders ENFJs and ENTJs and call them "borderline INFJs". However, it is my opinion that what makes an INFJ is how and why their Ni triggers, not necessarily how strong it is or how much time the INFJ spends there.

To give you a visual representation of the Ni zen state, imagine a map of the brain, with each region able to change colors - black, blue, green, yellow, and red - indicating increasing levels of activity respectively. Various regions are various colors, and the colors are shifting as the thought processes react. One area might be red, a few are yellow, a couple are green, and the rest are blue or black. The colors fade up or down, but this is pretty much the pattern at any given moment for any given type. When the Ni zen state is triggered, the whole map turns blue in every region. This typically lasts a few seconds, then the color shifting returns to normal. INFJ (and INTJ) subjects seemed to fall back into this state with great regularity upon receiving new input or problems to overcome. Interestingly enough, they tended to stay in this state until they felt they had processed the new input or overcome the problem. Does this mean that those who stay in the Ni zen state longer actually have weaker Ni than those who quickly access it? If that's the case, it's possible that the ones we'd classify above as "borderline INFJs" are actually the "true INFJs" - if we base the definition on frequency of triggers rather than duration spent in it.

The second question was...are all the other types just as malleable as INFJs, or do they tend to dwell, on average, far closer to the "norm" for their type?

The standard deviation for INFJs is thus the highest of any type.

All of the types have a fairly solid set of similar pattern, as well as variation. The majority tends to have the most similarities, with out layers being less and less common. If I recall correctly, Nardi said that 85% of any given type have at least 85% similarities in their patterns and regions of activity. Therefore, 15% of any given type is outside the 85% margin of similarities, and into the gray areas between the types. However, this doesn't necessarily imply that these 15% do not have a discernible pattern to their 'operating system', but instead could imply that they simply have more non-operating system software running.

I hope this wall of text helps clear things up.

Reactions: barbad0s
Awww that's so cute. They think they're people.

So there you have it INFJ's are Ni zen state ninjas, stick that in your pipe and smoke it INFJ haters lol

But on a more serious note. The way i see it is that diversity is necessary. If humanity was a one trick pony we would be very limited. The fact that there is diversity in how humanity processes information is our collective strength. The problem comes when different types don't respect the abilities of other types

Every type is 'special' in some way...they all have the things they are good at and the things they are not so good at.

I think that a common theme amongst the INFJ posters is a feeling of being.....different (i'm not using the word 'special'!). When they find out about personality types and that they are an INFJ for example by taking a personality test many people, i believe, come to places like this forum to learn more about the whole thing

I think many people come to the forum with an expectation that there will be many INFJ's and that they can see what a place full of INFJ's is like. But unfortunately what they'll often find is that for some strange reason, people who don't seem to like INFJ's have gravitated here and like to try and put INFJ's down

Its pretty bizarre. I personally wouldn't go onto the forum of another personality type and start putting them down, but some people seem compelled to do that. Is there not a forum for their personality type? (if not why don't they make one?)

I think instead of people going to forums that are set up for certain personality types and trying to put those types down for what seems like little more than sport perhaps for their own personal growth their time would be better spent learning more about their own personality type, finding their own strengths and abilities so that they don't feel insecure and needful of denying the abilities of other types

People are supposed to complement each other by making up for the deficiencies of each other; that way collectively the group is strong. If however a part of the collective is constantly put down by other parts of the collective for example people hating on INFJ's then what will happen is that INFJ's will withdraw from the collective and the collective will then not benefit from what the INFJ's can bring to the mix and the collectives, collective experience will be all the poorer for it

INFJ's tend to be quite private individuals and are going to struggle to benefit from being in what is supposed to be an environment that is welcoming to INFJ's if there is constant hostility towards them from non INFJ's

I'm not speaking for myself here as i'm old enough and ugly enough to take the flak but there might be young INFJ's coming here who could genuinly benefit from a place that can help them feel more normal in a world where they seem to be marginalised. Even if you don't believe they are actively marginalised surely you can appreciate that by the very fact that if their way of processing information and the world around them is a minority way then it should be clear that by that process alone they are going to feel a bit marginalised

I think that a common theme amongst the INFJ posters is a feeling of being.....different (i'm not using the word 'special'!). When they find out about personality types and that they are an INFJ for example by taking a personality test many people, i believe, come to places like this forum to learn more about the whole thing

If rarity is synonymous with "special," then yes INFJs are special. There are fewer INFJs out in the world than most of the other types, perhaps all of the other types. These forums are often a haven for, and I can even see them saving lives of, people who otherwise feel cast out and misunderstood in the world. When so many INFJs experience this kind of rejection, it's logical and predictable for arrogance and bitterness to fester. It's a very human reaction. People who too quickly judge INFJs for harboring these kinds of views should take a closer look at the causes.

I think many people come to the forum with an expectation that there will be many INFJ's and that they can see what a place full of INFJ's is like. But unfortunately what they'll often find is that for some strange reason, people who don't seem to like INFJ's have gravitated here and like to try and put INFJ's down

In this case, muir, I don't really see what you're talking about. There will always be the occasional bitter and angry forum troll, but from what I've seen of this place, INFJs are often put on a pedestal by many. This isn't even a bad thing: it's a way of providing needed appreciation for a group of people who might not get it anywhere else. Much of America tends to devalue the kinds of qualities constitutional to INxxs, and to put pressure on males to be manly. This is very at odds with the Ni+Fe combo.

Are some people jealous? I guess. They shouldn't be. Whatever perceived advantages INFJs have over others are met with an equal price. Think about it, people.

I'm not speaking for myself here as i'm old enough and ugly enough to take the flak but there might be young INFJ's coming here who could genuinly benefit from a place that can help them feel more normal in a world where they seem to be marginalised. Even if you don't believe they are actively marginalised surely you can appreciate that by the very fact that if their way of processing information and the world around them is a minority way then it should be clear that by that process alone they are going to feel a bit marginalised

Some people arrive at these places beat-down and world-weary. These people do need to feel special in some way.

The grass isn't always greener...

Last edited: