What goes on when you pray? | INFJ Forum

What goes on when you pray?

knight in battle

Feb 28, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
I have experienced a Phase III shift in my prayer lately.

Phase 1: My prayer consists of praying "for" things in short moments lasting at most two minutes, sometimes adding a few statements of gratitude for the wonderful things I've noticed happening. I do not "hear" or sense God's voice or presence.

Phase 2: Things begin to shift. My prayer consisted of feeling God's presence (or my projection of God's presence), such that there is a conversational dialogue in the sense that I sense God responding to my emotions and thoughts... mostly during conscious moments or hours of prayer/introspection. I receive the occasional "direction" of God.

Phase 3: I am sensing an almost all-day internal conversation-interaction or awareness. I find it no longer necessary to verbalize most of my thoughts, but more and more thoughts are consciously "brought to the table" of the prayer exchange. There are fewer instances of childishly raw emotions, because I am calmer and more inter-spective. In those moments when there is strong emotional exchange, there is a stronger sense of quietly whispered intimacy as opposed to emotional upheaval.

Phase three. peace. Unity with my subconscious mind. That's how I've experienced it. The same feeling you describe, but it followed a differant process. It would be nice if I had a more tangible Relationship with God though. Growing up catholic. Having to go to church every week, and just not really connecting with it all, made me feel like a freak.

Phase IV - Remove the idea of God and the "offloading" of your problems to him from the prayer and find yourself in the first stages of self-awareness and Meditation.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
wtf is this jesus crap?

It's people discussing their religion on a forum where that's not only allowed but encouraged.

If you have a problem with it, there's one of two options for you:

1) get the fuck out of here
2) get the fuck out of here

I am fine with whichever one you choose.

Reactions: 894tt3h9
When I pray it's like I'm calibrating myself. I also give thanks for what I have. I find that when I am thankful it becomes easier to be the best person I can be. Sometimes I will pray for things I know are outside my circle of control, I figure it's the best thing I can do.

And you never will XD

Oooooohhhhh I get it.

You are one of those super smart liberal hippies that only believes in proven science. Religious people are stupid I agree...

Want to start a religious hate club with me??? We can throw firecrackers at people while they pray. We can make the world a better place together.

And you never will XD

What I meant was Knight, the OP didn't mention Jesus in his post. So I'm questioning what you are saying.
Regardless, I don't think you should be criticizing. I'm pretty sure members can post or start threads as they choose. And conversations like the one I'm having with you are considered rude and non relevant. I'm thinking you don't know this.

I have experienced a Phase III shift in my prayer lately.

Phase 1: My prayer consists of praying "for" things in short moments lasting at most two minutes, sometimes adding a few statements of gratitude for the wonderful things I've noticed happening. I do not "hear" or sense God's voice or presence.

Phase 2: Things begin to shift. My prayer consisted of feeling God's presence (or my projection of God's presence), such that there is a conversational dialogue in the sense that I sense God responding to my emotions and thoughts... mostly during conscious moments or hours of prayer/introspection. I receive the occasional "direction" of God.

Phase 3: I am sensing an almost all-day internal conversation-interaction or awareness. I find it no longer necessary to verbalize most of my thoughts, but more and more thoughts are consciously "brought to the table" of the prayer exchange. There are fewer instances of childishly raw emotions, because I am calmer and more inter-spective. In those moments when there is strong emotional exchange, there is a stronger sense of quietly whispered intimacy as opposed to emotional upheaval.

I have some of all 3.

Phase IV - Remove the idea of God and the "offloading" of your problems to him from the prayer and find yourself in the first stages of self-awareness and Meditation.

Isn't it a lot of pressure to put on yourself to think that you have to / can fix everything?

When I pray, I am serious. I am fixed on whom my thoughts go. I understand the magnitude of what I have access to. I feel what I have connected with. I realize I am part of this connection. Sometimes storms turn around for the asking. Sometimes they go where they will. Sometimes situations are made better; other times, no noticeable change for now. Maybe this is the reason I seem so serious most of the time.

I talk and ask, mainly. :|
Sometimes a musing, long winded musing; while praying; other times unloading the feelings I had, words / no words / just ADBJASJKJAS: NAJSNASJKLA NJNKSLAJKL! ADNJSJASJL!!J! NGGHCHFNEHJFLAMNMAAAAA!!!!!

It helps, when I want to just....unload. :|

I don't really have any religious faith...

Although I guess I do pray on that same psychological level where one is simply talking ones issues through in their head and searching for the best possible resolution. Doing so for me is usually a pre-sleep climbdown and isn't always relaxing, in fact it can be quite depressing when one approaches it realistically. You simply weigh up your problems against your capabilities and chance and access the likelihood or achieving (or continuing) a happy life.

Perhaps unlike the typical believer I don't expect a shiny invisible bloke to sort everything out for me, but I suppose it's more or less the same process.