What do you think in? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What do you think in?

It's hard to explain what I think in.... I've never actually considered that. But I'll give it a shot.
I think in relations and emotions. For example, if I'm remembering a period of time, I think of collectively all the time periods that were like that one. I don't think of all the specific time periods at once, but the concepts that were common to all of them.

Just to give an example; today was one of those cold-ish days, the people were emotionally energizing, the natural light wasn't obnoxiuosly penetrating or cozy and dark, but warm and yellow. I almost feel as if I have too much energy, and I wish there was an outlet but it's almost bedtime. After reflecting on how I felt today, I remember other days from past years that were similar in mood without even really consciously remembering them. I see all of this as kind of a fuzzy video that I'm looking at, but that I'm actually experiencing at the same time with sounds and pseudo-physical reactions like temperature, pain, pysical tension etc.

If I'm remembering someone, I think first about how they come across to me, which produces an almost physical emotion. I can't see them clearly, but I remember things that relate to them; like their general interests, that person they remind me of that I just can't put my finger on, and things we did together and how well (or poorly) we got along.

I could go on forever, but that's just the general idea of what goes through my mind, I guess.

+1

verbally and visually

its hard for me to pinpoint the way i think. I know i use all of these functions , but i'm not sure in which order or how clearly or strong they are. i would asssume emotions> thoughts> images> sounds. I think all the time but never tried to be fully aware of the processes i used. i am going to try to pay more attention to that. I donno if its just me , but i never feel like my inner world is as interesting as other peoples.

I primarily think with/in emotions, as well. Just as previously described, for example, when I reflect on the past, I feel all over again exactly the way I felt in the given moment. The way I feel about things is also how I make associations between things, as Raccoon Love mentioned.

Then, I tend to think verbally. I will go from a feeling to trying to articulate the feeling, I guess. It's more of a conscious effort, however, to do this, whereas the former comes naturally.

Reactions: rawr
I think in Technicolor

Images. Pictures and videos, a scene or a manga. Even video games.

Then sentences. Either songs (With emphasis on the lyrics), random babbling, coherent musing, incoherent theories..

I've been thinking about this for a couple days.. my mind works like a narrator talking over a montage of close-up images and short movie-like clips.

Usually I'll be thinking in words, but then realize that I'm also seeing images... even if I'm looking at something else or watching TV, I'm also simultaneously thinking in pictures and words.

I had never really thought about it before this thread--so thanks Teracat & everyone for making me think :D

I've been thinking about this for a couple days.. my mind works like a narrator talking over a montage of close-up images and short movie-like clips.

Usually I'll be thinking in words, but then realize that I'm also seeing images... even if I'm looking at something else or watching TV, I'm also simultaneously thinking in pictures and words.

I had never really thought about it before this thread--so thanks Teracat & everyone for making me think :D

ditto.

I think primarily with pictures, basically images that resurface from my past or even imaginary scenes, daydreams I guess.

I use words (mostly sound) when I'm trying to articulate my emotions, as well as simply feeling my emotions that go along with the images.

For the most parts, everything is visual. I have a pretty good "photographic" memory when I recall my notes for exams and such. :m062:

The only time I think with audio is when I'm talking to myself, which doesn't happen often, or I have a song stuck in my head. :m046:

Feelings, sounds and spoken words. Sometimes in a kind of 'drifting in the comos' (the only way I can describe it).

I'm not aware of conscious thought all that much because most of it seems to be too subtle.

Sounds, millions of them. Pitches create impressions in my mind, which I refine into dialogue. Sometimes it will be in images, also with word-defying impressions - a sense of the thing's essence instead of attributes, if that makes sense. Very rarely do I think with words, which makes interaction with other humans something of a kill-joy. Easier to play music for them, or give them music to illustrate my points.

It's like a movie... a recording... I see the clothing, I smell things, I hear the dialogue, I feel the emotions. I see details, the weather, time of day, flowers, blades of grass, tail lights... No music though... unless I'm thinking about music. When I hear words that interest me I find myself tracing them on my leg or a table in cursive, with my finger. When I am reading words I always get images in my head. Music I just feel. Other than that, I'm not sure... great question, though! :m075:

Oh....I thought I answered this thread a long time ago. I think in words and sounds, with the assistance of feeling tones. I'm good at memorizing the location of things but I'm not good at visualizing things, for example, right now I can see my dorm room and my friend's dorm room but I can't visualize his face.

I posted this on another forum, but it's relevant to this discussion:

It is not so much "pictures", however, than symbols that represent certain concepts and ideas. Sort of three-dimensional interactive symbols that are associated with certain patterns, principles, trends, etc. Nearly all of my ideas take forms of these images, images that are not translatable to the outside world linearly, or precisely. Every idea has its own set of images (as closely as I can describe it) associated with it, images which usually have no connection with the concrete. Whenever I think of how a system of thought or concept applies to the real world, it is always "fault-checked" through its own abstract model that is not visible to me on demand, but tends to come up unconsciously. Sometimes I fancy the idea of making an animation of how individual concepts tend to manifest in my mind, visually, but I don't have the resources to do so. It would be incredible if I can do it justice.
Thus, mostly abstract symbols and tones.

I think in a combination of ways. Everything that I think of has to have a certain flow and structure. When I am trying to express what I am thinking I go over it in my head and if it undulates or flows a certain way then I feel that it is good and I'll write it out or say it. If I am thinking of concepts or ideas I usually have pretty clear visuals that play out in my head and I just describe what I see. Otherwise everything has to have a pattern, has to fit together in a certain way. It's like re-arranging puzzle pieces or folding paper just so. Everything has shape, space and movement in my mind.

I'm actually not that much of an emotional thinker though I will say that when it comes to things I've read or seen I will most often remember how they made me feel but will fail to recall most details about it.

I hear my own voice, see vague, nearly colorless pictures, feel, and know straight from memory without any sound, picture, or even feeling.

I have to work to force a picture in my mind. Even then it's lacking detail and very ambiguously colored/shaded.

If-Then conceptual statements, most certainly.