What builds your functions?

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Oh dear, I'm being very weird (or meta?) these days, but I just wondered.

What builds your function? I'm not talking in terms of how to develop (I believe I'd made a topic about that too), but about what are the sort of things/subjects that is the basis of your functions.

Due to the topic about Fe traps, I've wondered mostly about Fe, but I believe other functions were also built from our experiences and knowledges, only on different subjects. So..

Anyone?

For me:

my Fe is built on sociology and psychology, from the 'legit' ones that I have read little as it is, to MBTI.. Also, stories, for some reason.

One of my Ni's bricks and stones are also stories, but I think Ni sees the pattern (see : TVTropes; Savvy, Genre) while Fe sees the...webs. The assumptions, the (possible) reasonings, the possibilities, how it affected me and how it affected other people...

I believe the Bible, or at least some parts of it, have affected my Fe & Ti more than once.

TVTropes by itself is totally one of the basis of my Ni and Ti. :|

I think right now my Se is still on the mimicking stage; I feel that it's still haphazardly stacked on repetition and mimicry.

conjunction, junction....what's your function.....*hums*

conjunction, junction....what's your function.....*hums*

I heart you. <3 Fe Fe Fe :D

Back to topic, any kind of "research" you do allows you to utilize your Ti function. I use this when researching my "cases" (interviews with family members, child, backing up any information with medical records, school records, etc, etc.) and in genealogy. Both of these are also good for the Sensing function as well.

I'd agree that functions are built on experiences. There is evidence to suggest that we are born with a certain outline of personality, which I outright denied until I realised that some things must be genetic, as personality must be evolutionary (otherwise why does it exist?) and that it must therefore be about survival. I need things to make sense to me before I believe them. I guess this must be personality as well.

From my perspective, seeing as I see personality as a survival technique, I would say that we become whatever is good for our survival. We morph ourselves according to how people treat us and what environment we grow up in. If we grow up in an environment that has a strong community and strong traditions, perhaps we will see the tribal aspect of that as a safe place (some people strongly dislike being away from home, believing their own community to be a familiar, safe place), which you could theorise could develop Si, for instance.

If you ask me about my particular functions, well it depends whether I know exactly what I use :D It has become clear to me over time that I might not. But I have thought about this before so I'll just say what I think has shaped me.

Ni and Fe I think have both developed from my need at home and at school to know what people mean rather than what they say and the need to be of interest to strong personalities in order to gain attention as a child. So, for instance, my dad has a very strong personality and has very, very low empathy. He is not an unpleasant person (though he can be very cutting unwittingly) but you need to understand his language to see it sometimes. So I actively translate what people around me say into what they intend to say. I have got used to it with my dad. It's important for me, to avoid me becoming upset, to view only people's intentions as important, rather than what they actually do. This requires me to look behind things, to see the physical world of actions, words and events as arbitrary and less important than the undercurrent behind them, that caused them, that is related to them. It requires me to contextualise in a vertical way - by seeing how things inform each other, by seeing how things are feeding into each other - it requires me to see things from all angles. At the same time that my dad was unempathic, my mother was very depressed and could be tense or shout, and my brother was wild with anger. I think I fit into my family in the role I felt I needed to have, which has developed certain functions in me. It was important for me to develop strong empathy, because this keeps the peace. It was important for me to become what my parents needed me to be at certain times in order for us to have dialogue. I knew instinctively what to say to my dad to gain his interest and I knew instinctively what to say to my mam to gain her interest, but I also knew instinctively what to say to my brother in my defence when we were fighting. So I think that the ability to need to look behind was always there, because it would have been upsetting had I taken things on face value. There was also the confusion of going to school, having been taught "high morals" throughout my life from two parents who placed importance on responsibility and strict moralisation (though when I grew older I realised that they didn't necessarily follow these rules themselves!) However, it was also taught to me that "it is not nice to hate", and I was taught to think about things from other people's point of view. This probably developed both MBTI personality and enneagram. I am an enneagram 1 because my parents valued perfection. Or I thought they did when I was a kid but I realise I was actually wrong about them then. I was under the impression that mistakes could not be justified, both morally and in my work. We weren't religious by the way and my parents weren't pushy, it was more that they were keen for me to understand others in order to be a "good" person and to try my hardest in order to be a conscientious person. There is also the fact they are both intelligent people who did not go to university, mostly due to not being able to afford to. So they wanted me and my brother to do well - living through us vicariously, I guess. It is obvious to look at them now, as an adult, and realise that these things are very important to them, particularly conscientiousness and independence and a belief that one must never impinge on another person (that we must always accommodate for the comfort of others). If these things have been told to me over and over at a young age, then they become automatic. The fact that I needed to be accommodating to live peacefully with my family has also made this automatic - that I will accommodate others regardless of my feelings towards them - not out of any conscious decisions but simply because that is how my mind works. It is what I have learned to do at a young age. And our personalities are almost entirely what we have learned to do. Our culture and environment quickly overrides any genetic functions, because if it did not we may not survive.

When it comes to Ti and Se, I'm not sure. Weirdly, these are the functions I most see in myself rather than Ni and Fe or Ne and Fi, which I can be easily confused about because I can't pinpoint their workings within me. My Se and Ti functions, if I have identified them correctly, are what I would describe as being "me" when someone asks me about myself. I always assumed I was a thinker for this reason. It is also the thing many point out about me, although they often see me as more of a feeler than I see myself. They would more quickly describe me as compassionate, while I would more quickly describe myself as logical. Se, I don't know how it got there, but people laugh and point it out. My attention to what is around me, here and now (which oddly I had always connected to my propensity to daydream). I have always gained pleasure from looking at things - weirdly. And everybody describes me as very "visual" for this reason. I always point out the colour of the sky, for instance, or the colour of the leaves on the trees. I will point out the smells and sounds around us. It does not have an "emotional" affect exactly, it is a way to gain energy, for me, it is exhilarating, exciting to hear and see and smell - I find it just gives me bounds of energy to be introduced see colours etc. The only possibility I can suggest for this function developing is that I played music from a young age and my mother painted. I guess I have, from the beginning, found enjoyment in things such as sound and my mother's art - the colours she used, her showing me colours. I think it has been encouraged in me, I suppose. And it's nice, because it gives me an opposite to my overthinking, constantly in my head, overanalysing side. I find physical sensation and sensory information sort of "freeing" - so yeah. I guess I'd suggest this is because of the environment of art as a pursuit (not with meaning or intent, but simply as a method of enjoying sensory information). It was always about things sounding nice, rather than them having meaning, for me (and still is). This is the only explanation I can offer!

Such a long post! I just love talking about myself :p

I'd agree that functions are built on experiences. There is evidence to suggest that we are born with a certain outline of personality, which I outright denied until I realised that some things must be genetic, as personality must be evolutionary (otherwise why does it exist?) and that it must therefore be about survival.

I don't know about personality being evolutionary. Personality traits don't really give a species greater advantages so it just might have benn a neutral trait that we developed in tandem with higher order thinking.

I don't know about personality being evolutionary. Personality traits don't really give a species greater advantages so it just might have benn a neutral trait that we developed in tandem with higher order thinking.

Well evolution includes the individual not getting killed too :D If individuals are killed by members of their own species then they will not reproduce - survival of the fittest. This means we have to fit in with our peers to a certain extent in order to not be killed or to be able to reproduce. There's even the fact we are dependent when young. We need to do things that encourage our tribe to protect us. If we were intolerable from the start we'd die sooner. So our personality development helps us to succeed.

I spent ages trying to find part of a documentary that showed this happening. It was about the Big Five, but it's the same deal. Some girl was born with high agreeableness/empathy (it's a long-term doc about kids that has followed a few kids since they were born and they tested them young). When tested again at the age of about ten, I think, she had very low agreeableness. The reason was that the agreeableness did not fare her well. By being too agreeable, she had been walked over. Other kids had left her out, they had used her, her life was unsatisfying. So she adapted to her environment and become the most unagreeable! This way, she was able to secure enough status not to be bullied or walked over. So it was necessary for her success within her environment. I assume that this adaptability is so that we are able to survive. I could be wrong, though, just an idea :)

Sorry, I've just seen you were pointing out about us being born with personalities. I think this was just me trying to work that out. Why would would be born with them? This seems to put us at a disadvantage and it seems to say that our personalities are ingrained. But our personalities can be very different from our parents. I think I was just trying to get around that. Personality seems rather arbitrary and unnecessary, but it can't be, because it exists. And generally things we don't need kind of die out. I don't know. I'm just trying to get my head around it I suppose :D I'm open to other suggestions because mine doesn't totally click.

Well evolution includes the individual not getting killed too :D If individuals are killed by members of their own species then they will not reproduce - survival of the fittest. This means we have to fit in with our peers to a certain extent in order to not be killed or to be able to reproduce. There's even the fact we are dependent when young. We need to do things that encourage our tribe to protect us. If we were intolerable from the start we'd die sooner. So our personality development helps us to succeed.

Evolution is about the species, not the individual. Evolution takes place over a long period of time so individuals mean nothing in this context. And anyways, if personality was evolutionary, wouldn't it be more beneficial for us to be more similar. Why wouldn't empathy towards other humans be a universal trait?

The biggest assumption you're making is that people who are "different" in a tribe of humans are almost always killed off. "Steve in accounting is insufferable, lets just kill 'em".

Evolution is about the species, not the individual. Evolution takes place over a long period of time so individuals mean nothing in this context. And anyways, if personality was evolutionary, wouldn't it be more beneficial for us to be more similar. Why wouldn't empathy towards other humans be a universal trait?

The biggest assumption you're making is that people who are "different" in a tribe of humans are almost always killed off. "Steve in accounting is insufferable, lets just kill 'em".

Haha! Yeah you're right, it doesn't work. I think it was a bit of a stab in the dark by me to try and explain it. I don't actually know then :)