What are the good and bad sides of being an INFJ? | INFJ Forum

What are the good and bad sides of being an INFJ?

iHeartCats

Community Member
Jun 7, 2014
MBTI
ESFP
Every MBTI type obviously has its good and bad sides.
I would like to know your opinion of INFJs' strengths and weaknesses.

The good: seeing things on a level that most other people don't see things

The bad: seeing things on a level that most other people don't see things

There are good and bad sides to every "type". I do think that there are certain advantages to being infj. This is personal opinion, so some may not agree.

Strengths:
Looking at people and being able to somehow read their souls
Knowing things without thinking about them and usually being right
Profound ability to teach others what I know at their level
Helping people in away they truly need (because I can read their souls)
Knowing answers to questions I have asked before people even answer - prediction ability
Selflessness and caring about others - feeling their pain just as they do
Feeling emotions on a level most people couldn't handle
Being able to stop a habit cold turkey
Being able to stop a relationship cold turkey (this can be a weakness, too, if not used carefully)
Wanting to know everything about everything and to understand and synthesize it all
Having a tough inner core that no one can touch, ever

Weaknesses:
Never, ever knowing when someone is crushing on me
Acting socially opposite of normalcy when I am crushing on someone ( I can't look at him and ignore him so he has no idea and usually thinks I hate him when the opposite is true)
Blushing (I think this one might be just me and not infj)
Cutting people out of my life (this is rare but I have done it when necessary) and not looking back, even if they try to come back to me
Shyness and difficulty in letting people see and know who I really am (this can take years!)
Inadvertently hurting others by not being aware of them
Causing a wake of jealousy and breakups because of the first weakness mentioned
Being stuck in my mind and thinking all the time (sometimes makes me appear spacey)
Loneliness from not being understood by most people and extreme difficulty in finding a mate

Reactions: just me
On the good side i think we're gifted in abstract thinking and creativity. There's also the drive and strenght to see our dreams and visions come true.

On the bad side, we can be lead astray by our own thoughts. Also being stuck, we're awesome at being stuck at things, it can last for years. Also lack of practicality, or maybe this is just me.

I think a lot's already been said.

Personally though, what really hits me hard;

good: ability to relate and comfort others with strong intense feelings, they take me back to reality even just for a moment.

Bad: I can hurt people's feelings deeply whether I intend to or not and without even trying. And I think.. I may be ignorant about it sometimes.. I think it's the vibe calling out, 'repel, repel, repel'. So horrible..

the good side is that we are impossible to understand.

the bad side is when we completely believe that we are "right" or that we know "the truth".

I use the backspace key a lot. I often think so much about what I type, I just delete it all.

INFJ28-1.jpg

Maybe positive and negative?

Last edited:
good sides: brave, courageous, strong, spirited, hard-working, intelligent, loving, caring, musical, inspiring, creative and bold.
bad sides: low self-esteem

Reactions: La Sagna
People with an INFJ Type Pattern are very much able to connect ideas and understand concepts quickly with a focus on the human condition as a whole; they use what they know and integrate their knowledge through connecting with people. This allows them to understand whatever worldview, system or concept they strive for.

People on here who say INFJs can "read people's souls" are just drinking the Kool-Aid.

Be realistic and describe it properly as opposed to making it out to be something overly fantastical.

As for weaknesses, some INFJs, depending on their level of development, may be so engrossed in understanding how their worldview could make a difference in the world, that they forget what is happening right now.

They will miss the sounds of nature, how food tastes; they want to finish things quickly so they can continue to think deeply about whatever it is they enjoy thinking about [without distraction]. The best thing for an INFJ to do is immerse him/herself in the present moment, and try not to think deeply [all the time] about meaning.

This will, in essence, balance out the individual using the INFJ Type Pattern.

"People on here who say INFJs can "read people's souls" are just drinking the Kool-Aid." copied ^^^^^^

How else would you have an infj describe it?

"People on here who say INFJs can "read people's souls" are just drinking the Kool-Aid." copied ^^^^^^

How else would you have an infj describe it?

Obtaining insight into people and what motivates them.

I don't know why people think "reading people's souls" is actually a thing. It's not meant to be literal.

I think it actually goes deeper than that. Maybe there are different levels of interpretation.

Good side: The whole experience. The big picture.

mountains%20clouds%20landscapes%20nature%20trees%20skyline%20forest%20day%20hills%20lakes%20reflections%202101x1313%20wal_www.wallpaperhi.com_33.jpg

Bad side: Constantly being lost and confused inside our own thoughts.

dark_forest-t2.jpg

Reactions: Free
Good:
Having a unique perspective

Bad:
Rarely being understood for that perspective

A large heart, but small genitalia.

At least that's what I've heard...from the voices in my head.

Reactions: just me
A large heart, but small genitalia.

At least that's what I've heard...from the voices in my head.

You should kill those voices. They betray you.

I dunno if it's good or bad, but once in a while when I take part of a conversation I listen patiently, only to have one more topic after an other poping up in my head that I can relate to the ongoing conversation. Sometimes I get so frustrated knowing that I won't be able to talk about them all when it's "my turn" to talk, that I can't even keep it to myself any longer and disrupts.

"Oh my God! My brain is gonna blow! I need to get out all of my thoughts!!!"

I even wish I had a white board with me at all times, so that I could keep track of the build up "derails".

"Are you with me? Where in deep now, on sublevel 3, and we have a long ways to go before we even can get started on the original topic! Focus!

I think this is mostly a bad thing. It creates a great ego, that all the universe is only in my own head, and I could forget that others might have the same thing going on in their brains.
Sometimes I feel like I just need a little more brainspace in my own head... so I lend others by talking to them. I hope other do the same, honestly.

Reactions: bibliophile934
I find it easy to notice people I like, but difficult to notice when they more than like me.....or less than like me. I let the like of my life down like that 20 some years ago. Now I have a waitress that won't talk to me unless she has to. I find it awkward, to say the least; after all, all I have to do is just screw things up.

Reactions: Scientia
GOOD:
Your "gut" feelings are your humble guide: when something is off.. usually it is.
We are warm, compassionate people who wants to make the world a better place.
Great in encouraging others, their constant motivator and being their usual source of wisdom or "words of wisdom".
-A cheerleader to the souls.

BAD:
Knowing or being intuitive to their feelings also gives you the idea on what to press exactly on their buttons to make them feel bad.
Our idealist self sometimes is way unrealistic esp. when its not handled well.
Low self esteem or confidence and you are your own worst critic.
-A tough judge to thyself.

The good: Never without something to think deeply about; strong survival instincts; I think very quickly on my feet if I need to; I can find the humour in tough situations; there must be other things...

The bad: Never without something to think deeply about; a constant inner war between needing alone time and needing the companionship of those closest to me; a very extreme delayed reaction to almost everything (it makes me appear stupid, which has been painful over the years); terrible sensitivity to the point where I can't function or even walk properly; knowing things I wish I didn't know, and having no explanation for myself or others as to how I know those things (you really learn to just shut the hell up about what you know...); there are many more...