Weird after effects of working out.

Reon

Midnight's Garden
Nov 1, 2008
MBTI
Questioning?
Enneagram
5w6
Well, I've started up my exercise routine (seriously) again and the same old issues are starting to pop up and I don't know what the cause of them are. I assumed that it was caused by my weight but now that shouldn't be a problem.

During the work out:
I appear to have a super fast heart rate
Because of my heart rate I tend to start breathing heavily and I feel a slight pain/sensation in my chest like I'm not getting in enough air. I tend to start spitting up and coughing at this point, with that being said, I'm pretty sure it's not asthma.

After the work out:
My heart rate takes a long time to come down. It still feels like I'm slightly working out even 20 to 30 minutes after I stop working out.
I get light headed and I feel like vomiting. I usually fix this by laying down. Even up until a hour later, if I stand up, I nearly immediately start to get light headed and sick again.

This has persisted throughout my life through various levels of intensity. This also happens nearly consistently, I had to drop Taekwondo because I hated the feeling I got after practice. My diet, throughout the years, has ranged from a high carb low protein to low carb high protein diet (Right now, I eat a "Primal diet" think Atkins but with tons of vegetables)

Things I've checked: My breathing, I'm sure I'm breathing properly.
Various timing of my eating and such.
If I'm warming down enough
I checked my blood pressure recently and, according to the label next to the machine, I was in the prehypertension zone. I think it was 120 over ..80 something. Also checked my heart rate and it was 113 resting (I had been walking around and didn't stuff earlier but nothing that would have raised my heart rate to that number). Seems a little fast.

Hmm. I don't know when the next time I'll be able to go see a doctor.

could be your work out sessions are too intense. if you're not generally active all day, suddenly exercising hard for an hour or so everyday will put a lot of strain on your heart. also, could be related to your emotions~ is everything going alright in your life? maybe the stress of worrying about the future (you said something alluding to that in your blog) is making it hard for you to relax after a workout. hope you feel better soon, anyway.

could be your work out sessions are too intense. if you're not generally active all day, suddenly exercising hard for an hour or so everyday will put a lot of strain on your heart. also, could be related to your emotions~ is everything going alright in your life? maybe the stress of worrying about the future (you said something alluding to that in your blog) is making it hard for you to relax after a workout. hope you feel better soon, anyway.

Intensity I don't think is the issue, it's not THAT intense. And I'm somewhat active throughout the day. Due to the after effects, I tend to try to keep my work outs around 30 minutes and less I'm actively doing a sport at the time as well. Emotional speaking, I'm fine as well.

Dumb question, but do you do warm up's and cool down exercises before/after your main workout? A cool down always helps my heart rate (as well as my muscles) calm down back to a resting/non-working-out state. Also, how long have you been seriously working out? I remember when I took a break (something I kick myself for), it took a while for my body to stop fussing (with similar symptoms as yours) and accept the work-out as a common occurrence.

Lighten/shorten the "main course" (the heavy lifting/pressing etc), and increase the warming up/down periods. For example: in 1 hour training, the main part should be no longer than 15 minutes. The rest is all just running and such (in the beginning the longer one, in the end the shorter one, eg: 27/18). Definitely don't continue with the same course as you did so far; fitness is known to be dangerous for your health if done improperly. It can ruin your joints, or be too heavy on your heart, lungs, even liver. Maybe even do just some jogging for a month, with almost no heavy stuff. If you can, best talk with a doctor/instructor - they are usually very good. Hope it's nothing serious.

It doesn't sound too weird to me though, just exactly as if you overwork the heavy part; needs more smoothness. On top of being healthier and safer, you'll find out that the more smooth and regular the approach, the stronger effect it gets faster; compared to overextending and pushing too hard which ends up less effective.

Last edited:
What you are experiencing is typical of someone who has just started working out again. I've GOT to start going to the gym again. A couple of years ago I worked out three times a week for four months. The timing of endorphin release changes as you stay with your program. At first, you feel euphoric after a workout. The more you work out, you find that the endorphin rush occurs, say, half-way through your workout. The cascade of neurotransmitters in the brain change as you become more fit. Is there a pool or spa you can get in after your workouts? This will relax and invigorate you. If you are lifting, I would suggest low weight and high reps. It's less stress on your tendons and tends to improve the tone in your muscles along the whole muscle, not just the body of the muscle that is more involved when you do high weight and low reps. This also puts your metabolism into an anerobic state where the lactic acid that causes muscle fatigue increases much faster than a low weight, high rep routine. I worked ten years for a Sports Medicine Ortho Surgeon, and we had athletes in all sports in so much it would spin your head. You may already know this, but put "Krebs Cycle" into a search engine. During this time I became great friends and collegues with superb athletic trainers and physical therapists, so I came by my knowledge honestly. As an ex-athlete myself I've been through all this personally. Good luck to you, and if I can answer any questions for you, feel free to pm me. Rick

Reactions: Reon
It could be that you're not the sprinter type, but the jogger type - long, mild exercises might suit you better than short, intense activity.

Dumb question, but do you do warm up's and cool down exercises before/after your main workout? A cool down always helps my heart rate (as well as my muscles) calm down back to a resting/non-working-out state. Also, how long have you been seriously working out? I remember when I took a break (something I kick myself for), it took a while for my body to stop fussing (with similar symptoms as yours) and accept the work-out as a common occurrence.

Yes I do warm ups and cool downs. Also, I've probably been at it for two weeks now.

Lighten/shorten the "main course" (the heavy lifting/pressing etc), and increase the warming up/down periods. For example: in 1 hour training, the main part should be no longer than 15 minutes. The rest is all just running and such (in the beginning the longer one, in the end the shorter one, eg: 27/18). Definitely don't continue with the same course as you did so far; fitness is known to be dangerous for your health if done improperly. It can ruin your joints, or be too heavy on your heart, lungs, even liver. Maybe even do just some jogging for a month, with almost no heavy stuff. If you can, best talk with a doctor/instructor - they are usually very good. Hope it's nothing serious.

It doesn't sound too weird to me though, just exactly as if you overwork the heavy part; needs more smoothness. On top of being healthier and safer, you'll find out that the more smooth and regular the approach, the stronger effect it gets faster; compared to overextending and pushing too hard which ends up less effective.

Typically I divide my work outs into three types. One type where I do just average body weight exercise and some cardio (Burpees, push ups, sit up/crunches, jumping jacks, squats, planks and other stretches), Type Two being my sprint days where I sprint until I'm tired, lightly jog again, and sprint back. Not long distances. Type Three being my 'intense' day where I just work out until I'm extensively tired. I mostly focus on burpees, push ups, sit ups, and squats with active rests between them.

Normal schedule I do a
Type 1
type 2
Rest
type 1
type 3
rest

It could be that you're not the sprinter type, but the jogger type - long, mild exercises might suit you better than short, intense activity.

Hmm. I'll have to think about that.

I get the same thing Reon. When I started working out again it took a few hours for me to recover. I felt light headed, dizzy and thought that I was going to vomit. I found that over time with consistent exercise and a healthy diet that those symptoms decreased and disappeared. Hopefully yours will too!

Of course, I got this because I didn't eat enough before working out... Big mistake.

I get the lovely lightheaded, dizzy feeling I get after running so far.
I like the lazy endorphin release.
My warm muscles.
Slick skin.

I'm glad it's not asthma.

i think you need to talk to your doc. are you able to see a health care professional?

A couple things you said were typical.
A couple things you said were atypical.
One thing you said was quite worrisome - your resting pulse rate.

I suggest you stop exercising in any capacity until you have seen a doctor and had a workup/exam.

There are many causes of an elevated pulse - on the relatively benign side, dehydration. On the worrisome side, well, there are many.

Talk with your doctor about anything and everything you have said here - presentation during exercise, afterward, diet, and so on.

I don't mean to worry you, but better safe than sorry.

be well,
Ian

A couple things you said were typical.
A couple things you said were atypical.
One thing you said was quite worrisome - your resting pulse rate.

I suggest you stop exercising in any capacity until you have seen a doctor and had a workup/exam.

There are many causes of an elevated pulse - on the relatively benign side, dehydration. On the worrisome side, well, there are many.

Talk with your doctor about anything and everything you have said here - presentation during exercise, afterward, diet, and so on.

I don't mean to worry you, but better safe than sorry.

be well,
Ian

Well, about the heart rate, on a whim I decided to test my heart rate again while I was resting, my heart rate was 69 bpm which is quite the difference between what I got at the store so you can strike that. What else did you notice that was atypical?

Also, thanks everyone.