Kgal

Gone
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9 Mediator
Does anyone here know Hostmonster web design?

About a year ago I purchased a domain name and chose Hostmonster as a place for my website and to host wordpress blog etc.

I thought it would be easy - but I am evidently impaired when it comes to navigating my way around this idea of designing my own site.
Now I am looking to hire someone to do it for me. I admit I know nothing about what a web designer should be able to do. How much is the going rate? What happens when I want to update content?

Any ideas - experience - wisdom - suggestions are much appreciated.
[MENTION=2240]rawr[/MENTION] [MENTION=5667]Jacobi[/MENTION]

Squarespace.com is better and easier to edit.

Squarespace.com is better and easier to edit.

Hmmm... I'm locked in to Hostmonster though - for a year. ....and I really would rather pay someone else to do it for me.

Are you saying even "I" could design a site for myself if I went there? :w:

Hmmm... I'm locked in to Hostmonster though - for a year. ....and I really would rather pay someone else to do it for me.

Are you saying even "I" could design a site for myself if I went there? :w:

It does have a little learning curve but it's not overly complex and you don't need to code anything. Plus you can edit it at anytime. Worth checking out at least.

It does have a little learning curve but it's not overly complex and you don't need to code anything. Plus you can edit it at anytime. Worth checking out at least.

Ok. You've given me hope....and I'll check it out.

Thank you Horatio. :hug:

Joomla is also often used CMS for blogs. It's simple and free and you can do it yourself with a bit of will ;)
Content is easy to update, no coding required most of the time and even if you need to, w3school is a site that will help you do it.
Complete site is stored in database and exported in .rar so you make a web at home, install joomla on your hosting acc and import database.
If you're a Windows user, all you need is WAMP app (win+apache+sql+php)

Reactions: Kgal
a tip for the future, don't pay for hosting on a yearly basis, the host could go tits up, become shite, or you need more/less, etc

Thank you Deathjam for the tip.

I wish I knew a place to park my domain names for the time being.

a tip for the future, don't pay for hosting on a yearly basis, the host could go tits up, become shite, or you need more/less, etc

Would you recommend I hire a web master/ designer and let them choose a place to put my domain names? How does one decide where to park them?

Hosting company buys very fast static ip connection from network company (t-com, vodafone, etc..).
Then they build custom computers ang give them piece of that connection.
Those computers can be sold as servers or can be divided into packages and sold like that.
Some of those servers act like web servers to host web sites.
You buy a package with storage on hdd for your web, media and stuff and you buy bandwidht.
It has a limit depending on package you bought. It's usualy 2 ,5 10.. gb. Every time someone loads your page, picture and similar, they use some of that bandwidth

This is first thing to decide where to "park" your web.

Second is quality of hosting center. You want your page to be on server that is always up, has stable connection and its defend against attackers is good.
Also some some of hosters do overselling. They sell more packages then they should because they assume your bweb won't eat whole hosting package.

You don't need a lot for blog, 50$/y package should be more than enough