Water fasting | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Water fasting

Just an FYI, cleanses and fasting and such do NOT rid your body of "toxins". This is what your liver and kidneys are for, and unless you are in hepatic or renal failure, they do a fine job on their own. Anything else is "woo" and just robbing you of your money.

As others have said in previous posts, drinking too much water with too little intake of electrolytes from food can cause hyponatremia, which is an emergent, life-threatening condition and can cause permanent damage. You really have to be careful who you get your information from. Beware of naturopaths and nutritionists, they are generally unlicensed woo-peddlers who got a certificate from some non-accredited pseudo-university, and are making beaucoup bucks off of the ignorant. I have literally seen people claim to have a PhD in nutrition when in reality, they completed a BS online degree of maybe 10 classes and their thesis was like a 1000 word paper. I've written longer papers than that for Comp 1. Registered Dietitians, RN's, etc., on the other hand, must be educated through an accredited college or university and must pass their boards. We rely on evidence based, scientifically researched information and methods.

If you're bored, here is a pretty informative discussion about intermittent fasting - what the benefits are and some different approaches to it:

AJ! This guy has totally rocked my world and now a good friend of mine is captivated. I've done some random kinds of fasting purely because the body felt like it and already am expanding my awareness with regard to the need for food and optimum functioning of the body.
Everything he's saying validates my own observations about myself and many many others when it comes to health and obesity.

Wow... look at the convo between myself and my friend on fb....
Anyway - I wanted to thank you for sharing this video.

• The Aetiology of Obesity Part 1 of 6: A New Hope
    Http://intensivedietarymanagement.com What is the underlying causes of our obesity epidemic? We explode commonly held beliefs about obesity to come to some s...
    youtube.com

• Here's a list.

Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem'
    Dr. Jason Fung completed medical school and internal medicine at the University of Toronto before finishing his nephrology fellowship at the University of Ca...
    youtube.com

• This guy is just what I needed. Fasting has been on my mind for a while. All I needed was a coach. Thanks kat. Gonna order his book

• Yeh. I'm gonna get his book too. I happened to listen to part 6 of 6 just now out of order and my mouth kept dropping open going Wow...just fucking Wow. I mean I knew most of it instinctively as I never gave up eating eggs, butter, and olive oil. But I know the majority did...and I could see how it killed my father and is in the process of killing my sister. At first I thought maybe I'd develop a wellness program based upon his ideas and coach women in my community. But I don't knowwwww.....This particular video pt 6 goes up against everything mainstream medicine is teaching. This needs to be seen by every American....though I fear many will not understand him. I kept thinking I'll have to condense him down into layman's terms or something if I were to teach it all. Anyway. you'll get to it sooner or later. Yes. I have been feeling the urge to fast and each time I researched it I'd come up empty. The first video I saw by him totally rocked my world. It was an interview with some guy...can't remember who. As usual....we've been out right lied to. At least now I'm vindicated!!!!!! Exercise doesn't make a difference with weight loss. Eating less calories doesn't make a difference in weight loss. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Oh Happy Day!

• Wow this really smacks in the face of that inherited limiting belief that i have to eat every day. I was raised in a family with holocaust survivors and obesity is a sign of affluence, coupled with the mass media shoving 12 y.o. twiggy boy bodies down our throat. This one runs deep

• I grew up similarly. My grandmother used to talk about the fact the only thing they had to eat for months and months and months was bread and beets. She learned to like beet sandwiches....alll because of the great depression. Both sides of the family have deep food issues....and if you didn't eat every thing on your plate it was a sign of total disrespect for the elder(s) who worked hard to give you that food. You ate it all and you liked it...or else...and I mean whippings etc etc. So yeh....this is pure validation for me for what I've been feeling and noticing with regard to the body and food. Pretty much every thing we've been told is wrong....wrong ...wrong. And of course we ourselves are living proof. Now you know why I said this is rocking my world. I keep remembering all of the dang angst and trauma around making children eat when they didn't want to and how that being forced to follow a routine totally destroys the human relationship with the body. This is what I want to teach Moms.

Reactions: Free and AJ_
Anyone done it? I've gone 3 days without eating before and it was surprisingly easy, I wasn't hungry at all. I'm tempted to try for a week. Apparently it's really good for stimulating healing of various minor internal diseases, clearing up toxins, etc.

What kind of toxins?

Anyone done it? I've gone 3 days without eating before and it was surprisingly easy, I wasn't hungry at all. I'm tempted to try for a week. Apparently it's really good for stimulating healing of various minor internal diseases, clearing up toxins, etc.
(Out of date reply)
Water fasting loosens the skin (according to Clarice Starling, of 'Silence of the Lambs').

Reactions: the
I've been fasting (complete fasting; no food or any kind of liquid) for 24 hour periods since I was a kid! No, I don't have an eating disorder, and Im strongly against dieting.

Fasting is actually pretty easy once your body gets used to it. It's like anything else; you gotta train yourself- not saying you SHOULD train yourself; it can be good for some people and less good for others. I do it for religious beliefs, personally- not that that will make anyone feel any better.

I don't look forward to fasts. I only ever feel hungry for the first few hours, and the rest is just feeling weak and bleh. Headaches are common.

If you think about it, people didn't necessarily have food/water that they could have regular meals filling themselves to the brim. Our bodies are made to be a little flexible, we're just not used to it and neither is society.

Like I said, I'm not suggesting anyone try it, just saying my piece. And you definitely need to be careful.

I'm 25 hours in to my first attempt at going past 3 days of water (and some broth) fasting following the Dr. Jason Fung protocols.
Wish me luck!
@AJ_

I'm excited to say that I'm now moving in to my 4th day....just barely....but doing it. I'm following the Dr. Fung 7 day protocol primarily as an experiment to see how far I can go. I've never ever gone without food of some kind for probably no more than 12 - 16 hrs for 60 years of life. I'm tracking pretty much along with his observations of hundreds of others as well as personal stories from others.

Learning what I found out from the lecture series got me to rethinking every thing I ever had been taught regarding food.
Fasting is bringing in even more clarity about me and my relationship with my body. I'm in love!!!

From the lecture series Dr. Fung MD explains in its natural state of being the body is designed to be able to switch back and forth between the Fasting state and the Eating state. He demonstrates the benefits of fasting such as an increase in the human growth hormone (HGH) which is present in high quanities in the body until it peaks in the 20's. He brings up many many research studies going back even a hundred years or more to show that fasting has benefits.
I thought about how as an infant I was taught to eat at certain times - put on a schedule - and fed all throughout my childhood whether I wanted to eat or not. There was heavy penalties for skipping food. I've been eating daily ever since my birth.
The conclusions Dr. Fung presents are compelling and definitely point to a way to health and well being.
It occurred to me that by giving my body a break from consuming food multiple times a day every day for a helluva long time was a gift I give to it...and of course me.

It occurred to me that by fasting for more than 3 days - it would allow the body to use a different method of obtaining energy to run the body....to exercise that ability therefore allowing the body to become more flexible in it's ability to attain full functioning.

Reactions: AJ_

What are the specific toxins that get cleared up?

I guess it shouldn't be any surprise that the medical or pharmaceutical industries wouldn't promote intermittent fasting because then you wouldn't be dependent on them anymore, which means less money for them.

Yeah, most of us don't get paid that much. I'm an RN and I still live paycheck to paycheck. Most of us just genuinely care about people and providing excellent care. It gets really old seeing people constantly demonizing the healthcare industry. It's definitely not perfect, but most of us are not in it for the money.

Reactions: AJ_ and acd
Yeah, most of us don't get paid that much. I'm an RN and I still live paycheck to paycheck. Most of us just genuinely care about people and providing excellent care. It gets really old seeing people constantly demonizing the healthcare industry. It's definitely not perfect, but most of us are not in it for the money.

I apologize for the post - I understand doctors and nurses are doing all they can for people who are hurting or sick. By saying "industry" I was referring to the business usually known as "big pharma" that commercializes synthetic drugs for individuals that may just need a change in diet or exercise. My apologies for not being more specific.

Reactions: Vicarious