Watchmen Parody...circa 1980s kids cartoon (movie spoilers) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Watchmen Parody...circa 1980s kids cartoon (movie spoilers)

If they had to adapt it like this to have a successful movie, I'd rather they just not adapt it all.

I'm sticking with my sentiment that'd it been better off as a high budget miniseries.

There are ways of doing it, though. "The Dark Knight" was an adaptation, and so are many other books-to-movies. I can't say it would've been successful, but you obviously can't be faithful to the Watchmen source material without it looking silly on the big screen. The squid does *not* translate.

Or, maybe it could've been done with a better director/editing team, in a mini-series. But it would take special shots to convey the same emotional impact of the book. Only a seasoned director who is used to changing shots to enhance the story could pull it off.

There are ways of doing it, though. "The Dark Knight" was an adaptation, and so are many other books-to-movies. I can't say it would've been successful, but you obviously can't be faithful to the Watchmen source material without it looking silly on the big screen. The squid does *not* translate.
But the Dark Knight was an adaption of a property that's had many different interpretations over the course of almost 70 years. There's nothing wrong with that, I also agree and am happy that the squid wasn't in the film, as it made little sense to even have him in the novel when you think about it, but that's not even close to a main point of the story, you said earlier that it was a character piece. Yet you also said that it'd be better suited if they focused more on one character, because you can't focus on all of them if adapted to film. This is why I still believe in my heart of hearts that this is a property cannot be possibly made into a movie, without either butchering it, or coming out with what we got.

Or, maybe it could've been done with a better director/editing team, in a mini-series. But it would take special shots to convey the same emotional impact of the book. Only a seasoned director who is used to changing shots to enhance the story could pull it off.

If it were a High Budget mini series then yes I believe this would work.

*Nods.* I agree that it would be extremely difficult to adapt it - and you're right, there's so many permutations of Batman that pretty much anyone can come up with a story that fits the Bats universe.

I'm not even saying that a talented enough person *could* adapt Watchmen. My thought is it can't be done in its current form (this movie version) and still retain the impact. To adapt it, we also have to ask what made this book good. Was it the characters? Was it the story? Was it the idea that it broke the mold and the book itself (graphic NOVEL) is the triumph? Was it the dark tone of superheroes acting not-so-heroically? There's something that will stand out above all those possibilities. And whatever stands out, is the essence of the book.

Me, I think it's the triumph of it being a true graphic novel is what makes it powerful. You have to read between the lines and see all the hidden clues in the book. The book itself is a mystery, and there are mysteries hidden in the mysteries. It's not just one viewing - it's multiple viewings, and seeing something new each time. To me, that can only be done in a book form.

So adapting the movie, IMO, means changing the essence. It's no longer about a graphic novel triumph; now it's about these characters and how they're fighting the clock against certain doom. It's about fate, and not being able to escape it. It's about betrayal of one of their members against them all, to create a new utopia. Now you have a new story, and you have to build a new world/essence to focus on these core ideas. So that's why I think the whole focus has to change, and why the purpose of the medium must change. It has to be a clear description as well. Otherwise, the main idea gets lost and muddied.

Exactly.

From the pages of Wizard magazine, and the Wizard website.

WIZARD: How did you feel about the Watchmen film?

GRANT MORRISON: I wished that they had turned it into a 12-part HBO miniseries and recreated every detail.

How did you feel about the new ending?

MORRISON: I was fine with it, until I realized it kind of destroys the original ending where the stupidest guy in the world picks up Rorschach's diary and wrecks the plan of the smartest man in the world. In the graphic novel, you know Ozymandias will fail. That's the horrible truth that lies in wait beyond the back cover. Veidt tries to save the world and does all these terrible things but we already know Rorschach's journal has to be found so that we can flip back to the beginning of the book's circular structure and begin reading again, this time with the horrible realization that it's actually Seymour and everyone else who's reading. The other problem is at the end of the movie, where we're told that world peace hinges on the belief that Dr. Manhattan is still out there to wreak havoc...but that's not true. Adrian Veidt had duplicated the destructive power of Dr. Manhattan, so you don't need the original anymore. Veidt can press a button and obliterate any city using Dr. Manhattan's powers. So Veidt becomes the great dictator in [the film] version, which is the opposite of the downbeat ending of the book.

Morrison: Watchmen is the most perfectly constructed story you could find–turn it around at any angle, and it reflects itself–but my problem with it has always been the same. The basic story hinges on an illogical, unconvincing scheme to save the world. If Ozymandias is the smartest guy in the world, why does he have to kill millions of people, including the world's most radical and inventive artists, to execute a ludicrous and ill-considered plan that could only go wrong? All he has to do at the first meeting of the Crimebusters is to say to Dr. Manhattan, "Alright, I'm the smartest, richest guy in the world [and] you're the most powerful guy on the planet, let's get together and save the world. Here's the first thing you do: duplicate yourself into a hundred thousand Dr. Manhattans, go to every single nuclear reactor and nuclear missile site and turn the weapons into gas...and then we can start negotiating." [Laughs]. Ozymandias could have saved the world...in issue two. He would know, as we readers do, that Manhattan tends to do what he's told.

WIZARD:You’ve got experience as a Hollywood screenwriter. From a visual standpoint, do you think audiences would have taken the squid seriously?

MORRISON: The squid, the tachyon cannons, the inter-dimensional research, the cloned psychic's brain are all elements of the story which play against its perceived "realism" I suppose, but I quite like the outrageous-ness of it. Veidt being the most shatteringly insane, deluded character in the whole thing might be the only way to reconcile it but the squid's more in line with the practical joke element. I think they could have done something with the squid, and the whole "This Island Earth" idea of the artists and architects on the island. But that brings me back to my original problem with the basic idea. Why didn't he take all the greatest architects, musicians, writers and artists and work with them to envision a new plan for society instead of killing them?

Power corrupts I guess, and stupefies as well. [Laughs].

Yup HBO series I called it!

what travesty is this, lol