Vulnerability talk by Brene Brown | INFJ Forum

Vulnerability talk by Brene Brown

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brow...guage=en&awesm=on.ted.com_t0A2Q&utm_campaign=

I'm interested in what this person has to say, the bit about religion and politics and certainty I think is pretty good, it is probably why people are alienated from both.

For a while I've been thinking about how society has addictive qualities, since I hit on the idea of having or being as the central question in life and trying to approximate the being rather than having mode of existence, although the being mode has its pitfalls too, you can aim for perfectionism in being, although arguably that can be a disguised way of having but that's another topic.

What do you think of this TED talk and its conclusions?

Reactions: muir
http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brow...guage=en&awesm=on.ted.com_t0A2Q&utm_campaign=

I'm interested in what this person has to say, the bit about religion and politics and certainty I think is pretty good, it is probably why people are alienated from both.

For a while I've been thinking about how society has addictive qualities, since I hit on the idea of having or being as the central question in life and trying to approximate the being rather than having mode of existence, although the being mode has its pitfalls too, you can aim for perfectionism in being, although arguably that can be a disguised way of having but that's another topic.

What do you think of this TED talk and its conclusions?

Great talk, thanks for posting!

I think you're right with the whole being not having approach. i think experiences are more valuable than material posessions

Another similar kind of concept is the idea of prioritising needs over wants. Our current 'having' consumerist society prioritises wants over needs and as a result there are many people whose various needs are not being met

For example what excuse is there for a modern country like the Uk to have such massive private wealth and yet have so much poverty? It's a disgrace

James Oliver wrote a book you might be interested in called 'affluenza' where he explores this idea of elevating wants over needs and he interviews people around the world to see how affected they are by what he terms 'affluenza' which is basically a feeling of emptyness, despair, unhappiness, apathy and so on

Last edited: