Videos on common INFJ mistypes. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Videos on common INFJ mistypes.

The fact you just told me not to put people in boxes immediately makes me think you're an INFP or ENFP (Fi + Si). Regardless, inferior extroverted sensing means INFJ's have trouble sifting through the myriad of possibilities and prioritizing the singlemost important answer and then taking the initiative to act upon that.
I think I agree with all of this. There are times in certain situations where I have great clearly though but those are often work related day to day decisions. I tend to really struggle more with more personal life changing type decisions. So far, I sense that you understand the theory and the quite types well.

This is definitely true for me. I just can't stop thinking "what if what if what what if what if" and then before I know it I'm lost in some weird, tangled web of thoughts, trying to predict all possible outcomes to every possible course of action and then plan all possible courses of action in response to those outcomes and on and on and on...Or I start following one path and then somewhere along the way I have some kind of realization that makes me feel like the course of action I have chosen is pointless or not the "right" one. It's more like paranoia and over-analyzing than lack of willpower...Either way it's stupid and I wish I knew how to stop. I've known plenty of INFJs who don't experience that much indecision, though. The way you've described Se is interesting...

I understand this well because I experience it too. In a way it makes me a little hopeful for myself personal growth wise that you know INFJs that do not experience this because the few INFJs I know all do.

Why xNFP? And not ISFP? I'm curious about your reasoning. Personally, I find INFPs are more open about that sort of thing. ISFPs and ENFPs seem to be more sensitive to it. (I'm unsure about ESFPs)

I was being quite literal. The only personality type I know that says the exact phrase "don't put people in boxes" are NFP's.

The fact you just told me not to put people in boxes immediately makes me think you're an INFP or ENFP (Fi + Si). Regardless, inferior extroverted sensing means INFJ's have trouble sifting through the myriad of possibilities and prioritizing the singlemost important answer and then taking the initiative to act upon that.

That's total bullshit man

Instead of constantly making these incorrect analyses of INFJ's why don't you tell us about something you do know about: ESTP's?

I was being quite literal. The only personality type I know that says the exact phrase "don't put people in boxes" are NFP's.
yeah Ne auxiliary types say something like this
INFPs don't like boxing people in because people are too unique and special or something of that kind

I've just watched your first video: INFP vs INFJ so apologies if you have covered this in your other videos, but the main point I think is pertinent is that INFJs never think they are good enough, and this can often stop them from achieving their goals.

There's plenty of things INFJs know they are good at, and can achieve at, but these tend to be things that they are not that passionate about. So you often find INFJs frustrated in jobs that are playing to their weaknesses, rather than their strengths. When they make the break and find something that plays to their strengths, however, they can get stressed because they are doing it for real or for pay. Doing it 'for play' or for free is easier!*

INFJs find things easy that other people find difficult, but find difficult the things that most people find easy. So you often find INFJs not achieving the life stages that are considered normal, such as learning to drive or having children.

You could describe INFJ as a bit like Aspergers plus theory of mind. Sometimes too much theory of mind - INFJs can over-empathise.

*(Actually one of the things I learnt in psychotherapy sessions was to try to see work as play and not to take it so seriously. I'm working towards that!)

[video=youtube;v4jsfKxpQuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jsfKxpQuM[/video]

Most here know I have struggled with my IxFJ identity. While I consider myself mostly ISFJ, I still score 50/50 on the S/N MBTI tests. Pretty much everything he said about Si v. Ni rang true with me. As an ISFJ I do hold sentimental attachments to old relics. Yes I will try new food and yes I am very body conscious. Ever since my 20s when people would describe ailments to me I would be able to suggest possible health problems, often times being right. Very sensitive to the external world ... smells, the say furniture is organized, etc. My house is almost ALWAYS clean (except for now there is a lot of clutter everywhere and it is making me crazy, but there is nothing I can do about it.)

To date an ISFJ they'll make you a lot of food? HAHAHAHAHAHA Yes, I think this is right. Looking back I did often make dinner, but not out of showing off b/c my cooking wasn't all that fantastic ... it was more of frugality and balancing the fact that he didn't always have to take me out to dinner. Enjoy changing someone's diaper? Hell no. However; I take great responsibility in the care of those around me. Responsibility/duty supersedes enjoyment. I do think ISFJs attract men who want to feel comfortable in their home environment.

Couple of things I don't agree with in that ISFJ-INFJ video:

ISFJs are more nostalgic: Nope, INFJs are prone to overanalyzing past interactions and situations with their Ti.
ISFJs are into trying new food: No, INFJs will go out and enjoy trying out new food. Eating out my s.o. used to complain about this, that I'm always taking long time to order because I'm always picking out a new dish to try!
ISFJs are very body-conscious: Again no, INFJs can suffer from hydrophobia and eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. This is not something pertinent to MBTI type.
INFJ is going to be more clumsy and not adept at physical exercises: No, some INFJs have very good sense of rhythm and balance and take martial arts and dancing classes without a problem.

I'm not going to analyze the rest. Suffice it to say I don't think he understands the differences between Si and Ni very well :/

Couple of things I don't agree with in that ISFJ-INFJ video:

ISFJs are more nostalgic: Nope, INFJs are prone to overanalyzing past interactions and situations with their Ti.
ISFJs are into trying new food: No, INFJs will go out and enjoy trying out new food. Eating out my s.o. used to complain about this, that I'm always taking long time to order because I'm always picking out a new dish to try!
ISFJs are very body-conscious: Again no, INFJs can suffer from hydrophobia and eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. This is not something pertinent to MBTI type.
INFJ is going to be more clumsy and not adept at physical exercises: No, some INFJs have very good sense of rhythm and balance and take martial arts and dancing classes without a problem.

I'm not going to analyze the rest. Suffice it to say I don't think he understands the differences between Si and Ni very well :/

You are looking at this too simplistically. You assume that he doesn't understand the differences between Si and Ni, but he is restrained because he can only speak about generalization of behaviour here. He is generalizing behaviour that is a result of being dominant in the two different functions, but obviously having a certain dominant function doesn't guarantee that any behaviour one would associate with it will be displayed.

Overanalyzing past interactions is not the same thing as nostalgia. He doesn't claim at all that INFJs won't enjoy trying new foods, just that it's more likely for ISFJs to enjoy it, and to enjoy it even more. Just because he says ISFJs are more likely to be body-conscious, doesn't mean INFJs are less likely, or that INFJs can't be better at it. By body-conscious, he means it in a different way. Si results in conscious focus on the internal body state. SOME INFJs have a good sense of their physical bodies, but come on... I know tons of INFJs, and they are among the clumsiest people I know, so to compare their skills to the average Si dom who has been developing Si their entire life... And also, the type of physical skill you're describing with the INFJs is different. You are describing skills that are more associated with developed Se.

Reactions: Paladin-X
You are looking at this too simplistically. You assume that he doesn't understand the differences between Si and Ni, but he is restrained because he can only speak about generalization of behaviour here. He is generalizing behaviour that is a result of being dominant in the two different functions, but obviously having a certain dominant function doesn't guarantee that any behaviour one would associate with it will be displayed.
Several of his comments go against what I've seen of my fellow INFJs. It sounds like he either doesn't have enough experience with the type or is generalizing and simplifying too much.

Mainly what I had an issue with is that he is making a rather simplistic assumption that Jung's Sensing equates directly to sensing. This supports all his following comments on INFJ/ISFJ differences, such as that INFJs are more clumsy than ISFJs, that they are not as interested in trying out new foods, and not as prone to body dysmorphic disorders. Thus my main issue with this video is conceptual rather than behavioristic i.e. I do not agree that one can equate S to sensing in such a direct manner.

... but he is restrained because he can only speak about generalization of behaviour here.
There is nothing preventing him from talking about these differences in more abstract terms rather than simply listing behavioral differences.

He is generalizing behaviour that is a result of being dominant in the two different functions, but obviously having a certain dominant function doesn't guarantee that any behaviour one would associate with it will be displayed.
He shouldn't equate functions to behaviors, period.

Overanalyzing past interactions is not the same thing as nostalgia.
People of many types experience nostalgia. This is common to human experience rather than some specific MBTI type.

He doesn't claim at all that INFJs won't enjoy trying new foods, just that it's more likely for ISFJs to enjoy it, and to enjoy it even more.
And how does he know that an ISFJ enjoys food more than an INFJ?
I was roommates with an ISFJ girl who suffered from anorexia whenever she experienced anxiety. Her relationship with food was clearly less than enjoyable.

Just because he says ISFJs are more likely to be body-conscious, doesn't mean INFJs are less likely, or that INFJs can't be better at it.
If he states that ISFJs are more likely to be body conscious that automatically implies that they are more conscious of it than INFJs.

You have to ask yourself a question here "Who are ISFJs more conscious than?" the answer is other types including INFJs. But then again, dysmorphophobia has nothing to do with type and can affect girls of various MBTI types. So again his comment is misleading.

By body-conscious, he means it in a different way.
He does not say anything of this is your own assumptions.

Si results in conscious focus on the internal body state.

SOME INFJs have a good sense of their physical bodies, but come on... I know tons of INFJs, and they are among the clumsiest people I know
Ahahaha! Tell that to my dance and Jujutsu teachers, that I am the clumsiest person that they know. They'll slap a modicum of reality right back into you.

It sounds like you've been typing clumsy people as Ni-dominants.

so to compare their skills to the average Si dom who has been developing Si their entire life...
You make the same mistake as the creater of the video above -- equating Jung's S functions to sensing and thus inferring that any N-dominant must suck at physical coodination and thus sports. You'll be disappointed to find out then that there are several N-dominants competing in the Olympics. So much for the famed clumsiness.

And also, the type of physical skill you're describing with the INFJs is different. You are describing skills that are more associated with developed Se.
The creator of the video above hasn't mentioned anything about their skills being different, so once again this is your own assumption.

Reactions: muir
Several of his comments go against what I've seen of my fellow INFJs. It sounds like he either doesn't have enough experience with the type or is generalizing and simplifying too much.

Mainly what I had an issue with is that he is making a rather simplistic assumption that Jung's Sensing equates directly to sensing. This supports all his following comments on INFJ/ISFJ differences, such as that INFJs are more clumsy than ISFJs, that they are not as interested in trying out new foods, and not as prone to body dysmorphic disorders. Thus my main issue with this video is conceptual rather than behavioristic i.e. I do not agree that one can equate S to sensing in such a direct manner.

There is nothing preventing him from talking about these differences in more abstract terms rather than simply listing behavioral differences.

He shouldn't equate functions to behaviors, period.

People of many types experience nostalgia. This is common to human experience rather than some specific MBTI type.

And how does he know that an ISFJ enjoys food more than an INFJ?
I was roommates with an ISFJ girl who suffered from anorexia whenever she experienced anxiety. Her relationship with food was clearly less than enjoyable.

If he states that ISFJs are more likely to be body conscious that automatically implies that they are more conscious of it than INFJs.

You have to ask yourself a question here "Who are ISFJs more conscious than?" the answer is other types including INFJs. But then again, dysmorphophobia has nothing to do with type and can affect girls of various MBTI types. So again his comment is misleading.

He does not say anything of this is your own assumptions.

Ahahaha! Tell that to my dance and Jujutsu teachers, that I am the clumsiest person that they know. They'll slap a modicum of reality right back into you.

It sounds like you've been typing clumsy people as Ni-dominants.

You make the same mistake as the creater of the video above -- equating Jung's S functions to sensing and thus inferring that any N-dominant must suck at physical coodination and thus sports. You'll be disappointed to find out then that there are several N-dominants competing in the Olympics. So much for the famed clumsiness.

The creator of the video above hasn't mentioned anything about their skills being different, so once again this is your own assumption.

How would you like to describe ISFJs then?

If you have a problem with my generalizations, you have a problem with understanding Ti. I'm not going to argue over syntax with you the way I argue with INTJ's over syntax. I would look at another type besides INFJ for yourself. You seem to be nitpicking my words extremely literally to the point that I suspect you have Te or Ne in your preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
[video=youtube;St-Wf4LIb_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-Wf4LIb_I[/video]

I can totally relate to the Ti description, in that I can logically analyze any situation, regardless of if that situation could have ever even occurred in the first place, and regardless of if I actually believe in it myself. I tend to look at everything as if it could be true, because everything technically is possible until is has been proven false (even if it's highly unlikely- and if it is proven false, I could still talk about the "what ifs"). However, some people misinterpret my open-minded "what if" analyses as me being naive and believing everything I hear, which is untrue, because I can consider, talk about, and/or analyze something whether it's true or not. I can be both skeptical and open-minded to unusual possibilities at the same time.

But is it really true that INFJs can't have a scientific and objective logic? Can't you have the ability to use grounded objective logic, but choose to look at the bigger picture and how the generally accepted logic of a situation would effect people? Sometimes what's "tried and true" is not the most logical, depending on your priorities, so I guess I look at logic in terms of what you hold to be most valuable in a situation. But I don't think this is any more subjective than someone who says logic is absolute, because in that case, they already have an idea of what is most valuable and are basing their logic off of that.

You also mentioned thinkers thinking they're feelers because they have all this uncontrolled emotion that sometimes comes out- in what situation would a feeler mistake oneself for a thinker? Can a feeler be very logical and rational, and be mistyped as a thinker?

I ask because I'm trying to figure out my own type, and I really don't see logic and values as opposed to each other (I usually consider both when making a decision, and they kind of work together for me), so it's difficult for me to declare myself either F or T. I originally thought I was a T, but I can really relate to some INFJ descriptions.

This is definitely true for me. I just can't stop thinking "what if what if what what if what if" and then before I know it I'm lost in some weird, tangled web of thoughts, trying to predict all possible outcomes to every possible course of action and then plan all possible courses of action in response to those outcomes and on and on and on...Or I start following one path and then somewhere along the way I have some kind of realization that makes me feel like the course of action I have chosen is pointless or not the "right" one. It's more like paranoia and over-analyzing than lack of willpower...Either way it's stupid and I wish I knew how to stop. I've known plenty of INFJs who don't experience that much indecision, though. The way you've described Se is interesting...

I can relate to this a lot. I look at every possible outcome, so even when I can see what is most likely to occur, I can't say that it will with certainty because I'm aware of all these other alternatives and the fact that we can't really know what will happen until it does. Is this the "ungrounded" nature of Ti? Would a Te take what is most likely to occur, and declare that with certainty, even though you really can't prove something that's in the future?

If you have a problem with my generalizations, you have a problem with understanding Ti. I'm not going to argue over syntax with you the way I argue with INTJ's over syntax. I would look at another type besides INFJ for yourself. You seem to be nitpicking my words extremely literally to the point that I suspect you have Te or Ne in your preference.
My criticisms of your presentations are mostly ethically driven - I hate being mischaracterized and misrepresented.

If you say something that is misrepresentational and misleading, I will most certainly comment on it. I don't need or expect you to respond to it. This is mostly for the benefit of other readers, to protect them from potentially misleading information.

You also mentioned thinkers thinking they're feelers because they have all this uncontrolled emotion that sometimes comes out- in what situation would a feeler mistake oneself for a thinker? Can a feeler be very logical and rational, and be mistyped as a thinker?

Happens quite often with ENFJ's actually.