Vancouver Riots

Feelings

Banned
Sep 27, 2009
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
-
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/06/15/bc-stanley-cup-fans-post-game-7.html

Riot police fired tear gas, pepper spray and flash bombs in downtown Vancouver Wednesday night to try to disperse angry rioters who set cars on fire, looted stores and taunted police officers after the Canucks' 4-0 Stanley Cup final loss to the Boston Bruins.

Police declared the downtown fan zone area near the CBC building and the central post office a riot zone. Anyone not leaving the West Georgia Street area immediately could be arrested, they warned.
Police used batons and also turned police dogs on the rioters, slowly pushing the crowd back along Georgia Street from Hamilton Street to Cambie Street.
Two police cars were set on fire in a parking lot on Cambie Street near one of the areas where police were being confronted by a few dozen people among the hundreds present who were throwing debris at officers.
The riots shook Vancouver residents, and prompted thousands to sign up to a Facebook campaign that aimed to identify rioters and looters. There is also a campaign underway to get people to clean up the city, beginning Thursday morning.
Witnesses were encouraged by Facebook campaign organizers to post pictures of rioters in the act, in the hopes that they might be recognized and identified. More than 20,000 people had joined by the morning Thursday.
"Prosecute the thugs," wrote Lorraine Bennett on the site. "Clearly they hate the Canucks, they hate Vancouver."
Lots of pix and videos on the site. And I only quoted 1/5 of the full article because it is long.

I noticed that the rioters were mostly teenagers. I noticed that they weren't angry, rather they were just having a good time destroying shit. I think that the types of people who riot are those who would be prone to vandalism and mischief to begin with, but losing the Stanley Cup just gave them a more socially acceptable reason to do so, and a situation where they are more likely to get away with it. For some people, the only thing that keeps them from being monsters is lack of opportunity.

I noticed that most people present were just watching. A few tried to stop rioters. I saw one man get attacked when he tried to stop rioters. I personally wouldn't try to stop rioters from destroying property, but I would support and protect people. So if someone was trying to stop rioters, I would join in and help that person. Or if someone was getting attacked I would try to pull attackers off as well. I don't mind getting my ass kicked over something like that.

Civil libertarians never understand that a large number of people cannot function in society unless they are required to, with the threat of punishment, and the pressure to conform.

Release that pressure and society breaks down.

Vancouver, you have the best damn goalie in the league and he gave up 3 goals in one period. Your city deserves to be looted and burned to the ground.

that riot doesnt even come close to the riot of 1992 in montreal. happened after metallicas lead singer got burned during the pyro part of one of the songs. band had to stop playing immediately, sent to the hospital.

guns and roses could have come out and saved the day, but axl rose is the biggest bitch in music history, so he didnt.

full blown chaos erupted.

i'm sure if you youtube or google it you can find videos and stuff about it.

canadians need to learn to chill the fuck out. crazy fucks.

Reactions: bickelz
Part of me think they are a bunch of idiots and part of me thinks it looks like fun to riot.

This has happend before too:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Il3UlV2ars"]YouTube - ‪Stanley Cup Riot In Vancouver - 1994‬‏[/ame]

Civil libertarians never understand that a large number of people cannot function in society unless they are required to, with the threat of punishment, and the pressure to conform.

Release that pressure and society breaks down.

Yup.

I thought this whole thing was hilarious. My whole life, i never thought the people a few clicks north of me would be burning cars in the street and having sex in them as well, just from losing a hockey game.

Man Canada's awesome.

that riot doesnt even come close to the riot of 1992 in montreal. happened after metallicas lead singer got burned during the pyro part of one of the songs. band had to stop playing immediately, sent to the hospital.

guns and roses could have come out and saved the day, but axl rose is the biggest bitch in music history, so he didnt.

full blown chaos erupted.

Wikipedia said that metallica opened up for GnR but the pyro part went wrong. Then GnR went on stage but the techs did a shit job sound checking between the two bands so they couldn't hear themselves play. On top of that, Axl Rose was a bitch and decided that his throat wasn't feeling great midset so they decided to leave. You wouldn't want Axl to hurt that heavenly voice would you?

I'd have been pissed too. Tix must have been like 200 bones.

Vancouver, you have the best damn goalie in the league and he gave up 3 goals in one period. Your city deserves to be looted and burned to the ground.

The best goalie in the league shouldn't be the only one playing. The whole team has a duty to keep the puck out of their end, and they failed.

Wikipedia said that metallica opened up for GnR but the pyro part went wrong. Then GnR went on stage but the techs did a shit job sound checking between the two bands so they couldn't hear themselves play. On top of that, Axl Rose was a bitch and decided that his throat wasn't feeling great midset so they decided to leave. You wouldn't want Axl to hurt that heavenly voice would you?

I'd have been pissed too. Tix must have been like 200 bones.

[MENTION=3545]bickelz[/MENTION]

i woulda been pissed too. especially because i'm a diehard metallica fan and because i also can't stand guns and roses. so it would have been a bad combo.

i would have rioted too. except i probably wouldnt have destroyed innocent peoples cars and such. i would have rioted the actual venue that they played at. and tore it a new asshole.

either way, canadians are still crazy fucks. [not a bad thing].

facepalmzzzp11.gif

The best goalie in the league shouldn't be the only one playing. The whole team has a duty to keep the puck out of their end, and they failed.

All the more reason.