bottom line, we need to adjust our energy consumption
we need to adopt a new model
a new standard of living

we dont NEED all this energy

we need to manage our resources wisely
no matter what the energy source may be

water and earth are the most precious natural resources
human life depends on these things...as well as the sun

what good is nuclear power if it destroys the nature that sustains us?

all energy production systems have some drawbacks

the problem is our perceived demand, our dependence on gross amounts of energy

Reactions: Siamese cat
bottom line, we need to adjust our energy consumption
we need to adopt a new model
a new standard of living

we dont NEED all this energy

we need to manage our resources wisely
no matter what the energy source may be

water and earth are the most precious natural resources
human life depends on these things...as well as the sun

what good is nuclear power if it destroys the nature which sustains us?

all energy production systems have some drawbacks

the problem is our perceived demand, our dependence on gross amounts of energy

Agreed for the most part.

Agreed for the most part.

does this imply there is a part you don't agree with?

: D

seriously...
consider our perceptions of what is an acceptable practice to generate all this energy

these thoughts and opinions are shaped early on in our education system

we continue to build poorly constructed homes and poorly insulated wire systems

so much energy is lost because of poor management

we have been sold this view of scarcity so that we may justify all the mining and drilling and fracking that goes on

the nuclear industry would appear to be the safe, smart alternative...
yet they build these things on FAULT LINES

now we have disasters waiting to happen all around the country

someone is making money off of all this, every way you turn

until we scale back our demand for energy, we will be slaves to this madness

but seemingly, the masses do not see the need to think twice about consuming whatever they can
the people are not considering the true costs

we are mostly consisted of simple, uneducated, uncaring folk

i see them like cattle being led to the slaughter house

and big money is being made every step of the way

is it something sinister, or simply naivete?

I think nuclear is unnecessary in our current environment (even if it is doing a lot of work now). On board a spacecraft or something transiting between any other source of power, it may make more sense... but at least in said circumstances, a fairly has a very limited casualty rate.

LLNL_US_Energy_Flow_2009.png

Note the vast amount of wasted energy on this chart.

[MENTION=963]myself[/MENTION]

...Because If I don't entirely agree with you, than I'm entirely against you, right?

Remember, the OP laid some ground rules. Back up what you say. This isn't a rant thread.

[MENTION=963]myself[/MENTION]

...Because If I don't entirely agree with you, than I'm entirely against you, right?

Remember, the OP laid some ground rules. Back up what you say. This isn't a rant thread.

nah bro it aint like that

you did say 'agreed for the most part'

i am interested to know what part you don't agree with

i didn't perceive my post as being ranty at all actually...

[MENTION=3019]~jet[/MENTION]

Vast amount of wasted energy and vast room for improvement on percentages of energy sources.

At first I thought surprising how small the percentage of natural gas used in transportation is, but after putting some other things in context, like politics and whatnot, it makes much more sense.

I must say that I'm still positively surprised at the amount of biomass used according to this chart.

[MENTION=3019]~jet[/MENTION]

Vast amount of wasted energy and vast room for improvement on percentages of energy sources.

At first I thought surprising how small the percentage of natural gas used in transportation is, but after putting some other things in context, like politics and whatnot, it makes much more sense.

I must say that I'm still positively surprised at the amount of biomass used according to this chart.

=3 That's exactly what the chart indicates, really... the best possible alternatives (solar and wind) have lots of room to grow (making them a beautiful long term financial investment as well) and while erroneous folk say they can't possible handle the entire burden (which they can), the other half of that equation is cutting down on waste to meet in the middle. We don't HAVE to replace all of our energy production with hydrocarbon|radiation-less energy sources... just about half of it.

And for those not entirely certain about nuclear safety, keep in mind that the majority of our own plants have even less reserve buffer than fuKUshima (people always seem to put the emphasis on SHI when it's supposed to be on the KU.)

http://energydeals.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/u-s-reactors-have-weaker-back-up-batteries-than-fukushima-daiichi-had/

In fact, just last month, the tornado swarm cut off operational power to a plant somewhere down south... it came within minutes of running out of reserve before it got restore, and as since gotten an F grade in multiple categories. Meanwhile, nuke plants in and around the Alps are sweating it pretty badly due to a design that anticipated that meltwater from the mountains would always be the same range of temperatures... but climage change has warmed that water beyond what the plants are designed for.