Unitarian Universalism | INFJ Forum

Unitarian Universalism

ThomasJ79

Intertwined
Oct 10, 2012
MBTI
Ni
Enneagram
I just went to a UUA meeting for the first time. I thought is was pretty great! The people were much older than I, not that it matters to me, and were some of the nicest people I've met in awhile. I've never been a religious person, just kind of spiritual and into nature and into personal growth and community. The organization seems to be centered around celebrating life, which is right up my alley. The meeting was started with the lighting of a chalice and a hymn and then a poem. Then someone made a presentation on Zorastrianism and tied it into universalism. It was really interesting.

Has anyone else beeen to or though about Unitarian Universalism?

I just went to a UUA meeting for the first time. I thought is was pretty great! The people were much older than I, not that it matters to me, and were some of the nicest people I've met in awhile. I've never been a religious person, just kind of spiritual and into nature and into personal growth and community. The organization seems to be centered around celebrating life, which is right up my alley. The meeting was started with the lighting of a chalice and a hymn and then a poem. Then someone made a presentation on Zorastrianism and tied it into universalism. It was really interesting.

Has anyone else beeen to or though about Unitarian Universalism?
I don't have the denominations here, but I consider myself one. From what I'm seeing, the belief itself is rather inclusive. What matters is what you do with your life, not what you believe in.

Yes, they are very much open to one following their own path in life, which I think is a good thing. They give a freethinker a way to form community, which I care deeply about.

I plan to find a church home in this denomination after we move next year. The pickens are a bit slim when you live in the bible belt.

I plan to find a church home in this denomination after we move next year. The pickens are a bit slim when you live in the bible belt.
GOod luck!

I searched "INFJ Unitarian" and found this thread. Greetings! Although I am not currently involved with a UU church, I have been heavily involved at times over the past decade or so. I like how Unitarian Universalism has evolved away from its roots faith-wise... leaving its ethical principles to kind of guide the way. Technically, I consider myself an Agnostic-Deist and Unitarian Universalist that believes in Love Ethics. :)

Reactions: ThomasJ79
Registered religious organization? Nice people?.. Celebrating life?

Sounds nice but I would rather stay away from any religious organizations period, regardless of their agenda.

You have to celebrate death as much as you have to celebrate life, I think.

[video=youtube;4zxktBiuNTI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zxktBiuNTI[/video]

I'd probably get along well with UU even though I don't think definitions and organizations are necessary. I also think that people are going to have them regardless, so it's better to aim them in a more constructive direction rather than creating divisions.

Bad karma happens even with good intentions. If one causes controversy in the world even by enforcing what they believe to be divine truth, then controversy is part of the sum result of their actions. What is the value? What is the cost? Is it worth it?

I'd probably get along well with UU even though I don't think definitions and organizations are necessary. I also think that people are going to have them regardless, so it's better to aim them in a more constructive direction rather than creating divisions.

Bad karma happens even with good intentions. If one causes controversy in the world even by enforcing what they believe to be divine truth, then controversy is part of the sum result of their actions. What is the value? What is the cost? Is it worth it?

I agree, people should focus more on what they have in common rather than what they don't.

I haven't investigated it, but the whole Universalist Unitarian setup reminds me of Episcopalianism, where people have space to think freely and have their own opinions.

The UUA group I joined dismissed for the summer months, so I went to an Episcopalian service to give it a try. I really like the people there, they were really friendly and inviting. I am pondering going back again before summer is over. I still have much to ponder.

I went to a Unity church service once. They were all nice enough, but sometimes abnormally so which seems to be a common characteristic among those who are heavily steeped in these philosophies. The service was thought provoking and the message was basically about the value of love.

Reactions: rawr
matthew 16-18
peter is the first pope, jesus built the first church (catholic church) all other churchs and believes are started from MAN. Not by god (jesus christ)

im not trying to throw my faith onto any one. the truth is what it is. 1.3 billion catholics.....why because we are the first and only true church of jesus christ.
Penitent One

rep comment:
what philosophies? christianity or a specific denomination?

Very broadly speaking, I'm talking about 'new age'. More specifically, unity and other highly utopian, monistic belief systems that focus a lot on social harmony and asceticism.

I mean, the pendulum doesn't swing to one extreme only. On the opposite end of nihilism, there's a certain kind of emotionally narrow, castrated sentimentality where people only express positive feelings. In theory, there's nothing wrong with it I guess - it's just that it strikes me as artificial.

matthew 16-18
peter is the first pope, jesus built the first church (catholic church) all other churchs and believes are started from MAN. Not by god (jesus christ)

im not trying to throw my faith onto any one. the truth is what it is. 1.3 billion catholics.....why because we are the first and only true church of jesus christ.
Penitent One

What leads you to believe that the catholic church was the first (and only true) church?

matthew 16-18

Penitent One

Buddha lived 500 years before Christ but taught the same things almost word for word. Fact is, man started the belief in Christ since, even Jesus was Jewish. Christ never said to worship him as a God, the people after him did, hence the term Christianity. So ALL churches and beliefs are started by man.

I'm pleased we made our church home in the Methodist denomination. Yes it only represents Christianity, but it expresses a tolerance toward other religions and is extremely "laid back" in biblical teachings.

We will more than likely look for a Methodist church after our move as well, as we've only had a positive experience with it thus far.

Last edited:
I've been attending UU; it's really pretty awesome, compared to most churches I've been. One of the few downsides is that there are hardly any young people.

I also really enjoy Quaker worship at liberal meetings. "Silent worship" is very compelling...it feels like developing Fi.

Buddha lived 500 years before Christ but taught the same things almost word for word.

I was quite struck by this fact when I first realized the similitude.

Even as a child in Sunday school, I always had this funny feeling about what I was learning...I wasn't able to explain it until I was older, but now I know that I then recognized Christianity for what I see now: Another stop in the long line of religious belief held by people throughout their history. I can't take seriously now what I was taught then, knowing that The Holy Bible was very influenced by whatever contemporary or antecedent belief existed with the writers. I can't see it now as anything but another arbitrary belief system, even if it's often benevolent.

However, many people seem to equate the question of God's existence with the question of Christianity's veracity, and I have no idea why the conception of God is limited to a single framework by so many.

I've been attending UU; it's really pretty awesome, compared to most churches I've been. One of the few downsides is that there are hardly any young people.

I know, there is a huge age gap, like at least 15-20 years between the other members and myself, more in some cases. What I love about that though is they have much wisdom to share, about life, religion, and politics. Tomorrow we're having a summer gathering/picnic. I'm looking forward to that.

I was quite struck by this fact when I first realized the similitude.

Even as a child in Sunday school, I always had this funny feeling about what I was learning...I wasn't able to explain it until I was older, but now I know that I then recognized Christianity for what I see now: Another stop in the long line of religious belief held by people throughout their history. I can't take seriously now what I was taught then, knowing that The Holy Bible was very influenced by whatever contemporary or antecedent belief existed with the writers. I can't see it now as anything but another arbitrary belief system, even if it's often benevolent.

However, many people seem to equate the question of God's existence with the question of Christianity's veracity, and I have no idea why the conception of God is limited to a single framework by so many.

I would call myself a Christian, if that meant following the principles of an enlightened or wise man. I cannot seem to reconcile a virgin birth, the death, and resurrection of any human being with my modern world view.