Understanding INFJ/INTP interactions | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Understanding INFJ/INTP interactions

What have been your experiences with the INFJ/INTP relationship?
Great ideas have been flowing. Great plans and lots of teater, playing games with each others, being distant from each others, somewhat reserved, hard to connect, usually trying to help each others somehow, hard to maintain.

Describe how an INFJ and INTP interaction affects each member. What are the frustrations that each party may experience, why are they frustrating and what solutions have you found to these?

As an INFJ, what frustrates me the most is maintaining and defining the friendship, it's usually hard to keep alive, it's great when we hang out, but it only happens randomly a few times, it never really grows further.

Are INTPs naturally distant in communication?

They are better at communicating about general ideas and moral values and similar, they don't like your arguments, the way you say them, so they want to redefine what you said in a way that they like, or throw away the idea. It takes adaption to meet and see each others ways.

Do INTPs have a rather strong preference for independence and freedom? If so, why?

I don't know. It's quite respectable though, earning their trust is impossible.

I have noticed that INTPs I have dealt with have the tendency to be very vague and often lack specific details in their explanation of things. What is a way to get an INTP talking in greater detail?

They love to be vague. They hate to show what they really feel, so they prefer to play games. It fascinates and frustrates.

What are some actions that an INFJ may do that makes it harder for an INTP to relate to them? How can these be avoided?

I don't know.

What have been your experiences with the INFJ/INTP relationship?......They're perceptive and never miss a a "single thing", at least, relatively.....to me...They can be difficult to understand....so people tend to jump to conclusions ;) at least.....the older INFJ i knew seemed to have the problem on loop....its probably some thing they get use to....so tend to not react to it after a while.....maybe it just gets boring. Oh and they seem quite forgetful.

Let's be honest, the only way I've been able to interact with an INTP is on a semi-personal level. Silence or nonverbal interaction is the optimal. Speaking directly

Obviously I'm a bit late to the party (by about 3 years). But as an INTP, I felt I could possibly add. My younger brother is an INFJ, and we get along very well. I usually do not get along well with J personalities, but for some reason he is an exception. I think it's because he has qualities which I lack but admire in others. He's extremely compassionate, but not in a way that annoys me (like people judging me because of my lack of compassion). He is just very naturally sympathetic and kind. He is one of the only people I can talk to about my own emotions because he does not judge, and he is very open to talking about how he feels. He also understands me shockingly well. He knows what to say to make me happy, and he knows which topics to avoid. He never pressures me to open up emotionally like some of my F type friends. He waits for me to do so of my own will. He never smothers me, and is not offended when I tell him bluntly to "leave me alone". When I am unintentionally too blunt, he does not hold it against me. He may be initially hurt, but even my lacking apologies are acceptable to him. ("Yeah, you know I suck at this kind of thing, but...I maybe should not have said that even though it's true. But I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. That's what I did, right?")

On the other hand, he keeps most of his intellectual thoughts to himself, which is unfortunate, since I would love to hear what he thinks. I have to prompt him to share his opinions and thoughts with me. He is much better with emotions than with expressing his reasoning, though he does have it and in abundance. It just sometimes comes off that he does not. That may just be him, though. He also is a little more socially isolated than I am. So whereas I am introverted but occasionally must go out on a low-key excursion, he has no such need. He is perfectly content sitting at home for extended periods of time (by "extended periods", I mean weeks. I can sit at home without interruption for about a week before I become bored.)

The best, though, is that our senses of humor are incredibly compatible. I find him hysterical, even though his humor is much different than mine. He tends to be good at goofy humor (weird faces, strange voices, silly noises, absolutely ridiculous stories), where I am more sarcastic and dark, which he finds amusing. We are very good compliments for each other, and I am closer to him than I am to anyone in the world. :) INFJs (from my experience) are amazing, extremely lovable people that inspire emotional devotion and loyalty in me that I hardly ever experience. I have met several, and I have had great admiration for all of them. I don't often "admire" people. I would surround myself with INFJs if it were possible.

Reactions: yepunsarang
INFJ may feel more strongly bonded to the INTP than INTP will bond to the INFJ.
I feel like a child around the INTP. And sometimes he thinks I'm childish, almost infantile. But sometimes, he is as calm (unemotional) and, in my mind, innocent and safe. So while communication has been difficult, this is still one of the better "cooperative" friendships I've had. It really reminds me of my ENTP friend, whom I haven't seen in a couple months.

Reactions: yepunsarang
I usually do not get along well with J personalities, but for some reason he is an exception. I think it's because he has qualities which I lack but admire in others. He's extremely compassionate, but not in a way that annoys me (like people judging me because of my lack of compassion). He is just very naturally sympathetic and kind. He is one of the only people I can talk to about my own emotions because he does not judge, and he is very open to talking about how he feels. He also understands me shockingly well.

Awww. My INTP friend is like a brother, too! We get along extraordinarily well. My "J" characteristics actually work well with his "P". Lately, I've learned to "predict" how his timing works, and he's adapted to me better, too, by notifying me a couple hours early when he wants to hang out or if he's going to be late. I can read his Fe very well, because it's uncomplicated. Obviously, he does get angry sometimes, but I know how to back off. I am much more sympathetic around him than around most people. :D

Some of the best interactions I've had with people have been with INTPs. I would even go as far to say that if it werent for INTPs I may have lost faith in people a long time ago. INTPs along with all other NP types are probably my favourite types for communication.

My INTP friends are so honest, insightful and willing to engage in true communication. They are willing to listen, understand, explain, and are extremely patient with me. They take my ideas seriously and help me nut them out. They listen to my imput on their ideas. They dont disregard information 'just because'. The INTPs I know are truly open minded. I have shared many of my deepest thoughts, feelings and visions with INTPs because they have been accepting and non-judgemental. I love the detailed and patient way they explain things. They have brilliant ideas and are visionaries in their own right.

I cant speak for all INTPs but the ones I know are extremely well developed and just really awesome people.