uncollege movement?? | INFJ Forum

uncollege movement??

It reminds me of the scene where Matt Damon is walking around Robin Williams' office and looking at his books in Good Will Hunting and he makes the comment that they surround themselves with the wrong books.

It'd be interesting to know what the right books are.

I know that I wouldn't be motivated enough if I didn't go to college, and I also know that the difficulties associated with trying to prove your worth without that formal credential in a society that is heavily credentialist would be a nightmare. I mean, getting into graduate school is difficult enough (assuming you want to become a professional or upper-middle class), and I don't see how anyone could do it given that they require people to have letters from academic sources as well as the undergraduate degree. Even if you're a genius, they'd still probably throw you in the discard pile. When things are that competitive, there are loads of geniuses out there- the problem is practical concerns.

And what if you wanted to work as a professional without a professional degree? Good luck.

I would agree that college degrees are unnecessary for many people. We know that many people get jobs after college that do not require college degrees. However, I'm fairly certain that you will never rise past a certain point in organizations unless you have the appropriate credentials (not to mention networking). You will never be a lawyer without a law degree or a doctor without a MD or a high level manager without an MBA.

So really it just depends on the person and what they want to do with their life. It seems to me that things will be much easier if you do go to college, even if you incur some debt, than if you don't for the vast majority of people.

Mark Twain is supposed to have said not to let your education interfere with your learning.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
You don't need a college degree to start your own business or run for office. Look at the structure of our society, those are the people in power. Everyone who graduates from college works for those other people.

I wonder if there can be a middle-ground? what if college/graduate students enter school with the hope of bettering the system? what would a "better" system be?

If you want to live a conventional life, the vast majority of jobs will require a college or university degree because companies need an easy, standard way of credentialing people that doesn't tax resources. Obviously, a lot of potentially valuable employees without degrees will lose, but who said life is fair or companies smart?

I dont see how this is a movement.

I really wonder how many people will jump on board. I don't believe that this is a real movement, just an idea.