Typing: Philosophy | Page 10 | INFJ Forum

Typing: Philosophy

What if I had said: "You are Derrida"? :m131:
Then I would esplode.:tearsofjoy:
What am I missing? The synopsis of the guy is that he mostly wrote about mental health issues, though to be fair I guess the reminder he made about common-sense or proven claims was bigger, but still niche. He wasn't making sweeping claims about what the political system should be, or the meaning of life, a la older philosophers.
On the contrary, I do think Foucault engaged in macroscopic thinking.

Probably his most famous concept, of the episteme, is the notion that the entire thought process of a society is constrained by their 'conditions of possibility' - by what it is possible to think at the time.

If you have a look into 'episteme', you'll see his 'sweeping' side, which was mainly about his epistemology.

Nuzzles has been diagnosed with the Philotype of Wilhelm Dilthey, because her thought is more fluid than structural, attempts to bridge objective with subjective positions and is generally holistic rather than atomic.

Ren if you have anyone else in mind who fits these three dimensions, put em forwards!

Wilhelm Dilthey's 'Verstehen' said:
Usually translated as ‘understanding’, it describes the relation of a part to its whole, or the understanding of something within its proper context; that is, the notion that the whole is partially determinative of the part. As Dilthey explains, ‘the whole only exists for us insofar as it becomes understandable on the basis of the parts. Understanding always hovers between these two approaches’, and ‘the parts receive meaning (Bedeutung) from the whole, and the whole receives sense (Sinn) from the parts’.[1] My usage, therefore, is not that of modern sociology, which derives Verstehen through Max Weber and is broadly conceived of as ‘[being] “in the same situation” as the actor’ (to see things from his perspective).[2] In this sense Verstehen is exactly reductionist, compared with Dilthey’s which is expressly not; a mistake which has resulted from a conflation of Dilthey’s epistemology with his emphasis of the importance of the individual mind (seele) and perspective in history as opposed to the notion of the national spirit (Volksgeist) then contemporary in Germany.

[1] W. Dilthey, Plan der Fortsetzung zum Aufbau der geschichtlichen Welt in den Geisteswissenschaften, pp. 233, 265 cited in T. Plantinga, Historical Understanding in the Thought of Wilhelm Dilthey (Toronto, 1980), pp. 106, 105.

[2] R. Boudon and F. Bourricaud, A Critical Dictionary of Sociology, trans. P. Hamilton (New York, 1989), p. 15.
OK I quoted a passage of a paper I wrote.

P.S. If anyone cares about Dilthey in English, I very much recommend Plantinga.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Deleted member 16771 - This is an interesting chart actually, though I would have placed the INFJ more halfway between essentialism and existentialism.

"Open Monism" tries to formalize this halfway point, in a way.

Maybe you're just on the fringe

Is it alright if I ask a function related question here? :relaxed:

(Keep in mind that I like to figure out how the functions works mostly by observation, so I might be completely wrong or lost in the woods here. So imagine a question mark on the end of every sentence)

INFJ use Fe and Se to gather external information right? Ni will always strive to do the job on its own using internal information (already gathered), and turns to the next function for support when it comes short? As Fe is next in line, the external information is about what the surroundings expresses as needs/wants. Ni is therefore most interested in Fe information when "doing the job". When Ni is not satisfied with the Fe information in order to do "the job" properly, it turns to Ti to figur out potential errors and holes etc. When (or if) Ni agrees with Ti, that there are errors/holes in the plan, it will turn to Se for new external facts with a certain precision for what it's looking for.

My question is: why would an Ni dom with aux Fe want/need to gather loads of Se/Ne information (external "already existing" facts/knowledge/insights...)?

I sort of/think I get it with Ni-Te, because together they want to know why/how based on more concrete/logical information. But Ni-Fe wants to know 'what' based on not so concrete/felt information (and next in line for finding the answer is an other internal process) and gathering the more concrete and external information is the last priority. (?)

Nuzzles has been diagnosed with the Philotype of Wilhelm Dilthey, because her thought is more fluid than structural, attempts to bridge objective with subjective positions and is generally holistic rather than atomic.

That sounds like an apt explanation, though I admit — it's silly, I know — having trouble picturing the beautiful @Puzzlenuzzle as, ummm, this guy:

260px-Dilthey1-4.jpg

:m187:

That sounds like an apt explanation, though I admit — it's silly, I know — having trouble picturing the beautiful @Puzzlenuzzle as, ummm, this guy:

260px-Dilthey1-4.jpg

:m187:
:tearsofjoy:
Here I am, in 1855, staring into the abyss and the abyss is looking right back at me.
220px-Wilhelm_Dilthey_zZ_seiner_Verlobung.jpg

Just updating this thread to let anyone know that if they are interested in being philo-typed, the offer still stands. :D

@Sidis Coruscatis has a bit of a brooding Schopenhauer vibe. He is officially philotyped as Arthur Schopenhauer!

@philostam loves to question and rephrase in more logical language. He is officially philotyped as Socrates!

@SpecialEdition is capable of plumbing the depths of human emotion. She is officially philotyped as Jean-Jacques Rousseau!

@John K has more wisdom than a benedictine monk, and in his posts insights abound. He is officially philotyped as Baruch Spinoza!

@John K I hope you are happy with your philotyping. The esteemed Bertrand Russell called Spinoza "the most lovable of all the great philosophers... in ethics he is supreme".

Also, now I seem to recall that maybe I philotyped you before... :thonking:

@Sidis Coruscatis has a bit of a brooding Schopenhauer vibe. He is officially philotyped as Arthur Schopenhauer!

@philostam loves to question and rephrase in more logical language. He is officially philotyped as Socrates!

@SpecialEdition is capable of plumbing the depths of human emotion. She is officially philotyped as Jean-Jacques Rousseau!

@John K has more wisdom than a benedictine monk, and in his posts insights abound. He is officially philotyped as Baruch Spinoza!

Now I have to read Schopenhauer. Thanks for nothing chum.

@John K I hope you are happy with your philotyping. The esteemed Bertrand Russell called Spinoza "the most lovable of all the great philosophers... in ethics he is supreme".

Also, now I seem to recall that maybe I philotyped you before... :thonking:
Very happy Ren - you have indeed suggested him as my philotype before quite a long time ago, but I'm not sure where. I had to refresh my memory about him to get a feel for him again. It's interesting that his roots are as a Sephardic Jew and it wouldn't surprise me if some of his ideas had wellsprings in a historical cross fertilisation between esoteric Jewish and Moslem thinking - there were some very great Islamic scholars and mystics in Spain in the times before they and the Jewish folks were all expelled from there. Certainly a fundamental oneness of reality is a feature of Sufi thought, though they think of God as a person and they don't hold with determinism. I definitely lean towards panentheism and certainly not pantheism.

Now I have to read Schopenhauer. Thanks for nothing chum.

"Directly after copulation, the devil's laughter is heard." Arthur Schopenhauer, referring to the momentary depressive feeling.

Need I say more?

"Directly after copulation, the devil's laughter is heard." Arthur Schopenhauer, referring to the momentary depressive feeling.

Need I say more?

Theoretically, I disagree. Practically, it's too true.

I'm trying to reprogram myself towards a more 'eternal' approach to life. Whether that's a realistic enterprise, I don't know, but one of these days I'll open up the floodgates of Chesterton for all to see. He's simultaneously one of the most uplifting fellows I've read, and knows how to justify it compellingly.