Two things that are hurting millennials | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Two things that are hurting millennials

Honestly I am looking forward to there being a reset that brings things back to reality so that Gen X and my generation can have better chances of making more of ourselves instead of only being wage slaves. If has to come down to it then bring it on with a full systemic collapse so that future generations won't have to fix all the problems and I don't mind jumping on the proverbial grenade.

Honestly I am looking forward to there being a reset that brings things back to reality so that Gen X and my generation can have better chances of making more of ourselves instead of only being wage slaves. If has to come down to it then bring it on with a full systemic collapse so that future generations won't have to fix all the problems and I don't mind jumping on the proverbial grenade.
Things will get better for young people.

Agree with OP 100%.

I am watching millenials destroy their lives in order to live up to this misguided suite of cultural faux pas, and it is sad. I guess, as a Gen Xer, I have encouraged people to subvert the narrative as much as possible and I'm happy about some positive coming of it. I am a STEM natural who's watched a lot of talented people become wretched with anxiety because they shoehorned themselves into this box. In many cases, these are people who could have added so much to the world via the arts/social sciences/business. Now many are buried in debt and anxiety. Some tend toward nihilistic sentiment about the future. A nuanced subversion of this epoch is overdue.

Some of this I attribute to a mismatch between our capacity as a species and natural emotional preferences/tendencies we have for guilt/penance concerning law and culture. Most mainstream political messages about work (from both the left & right) prop up the idea that employment is and will continue to be the best way to determine people's viability in society. Some would like to believe that this is all haphazard foolishness. While I disagree, I do understand why holding that opinion is more comfortable than viewing the public's anxiety as a strategically advantageous goal of power structures. Believing the latter could prompt the kind of action that is out of step with the more docile, penitent default setting I mentioned earlier. And it would do so in an atmosphere when common people's expectations of privacy, and thus personal security, are lower than they've ever been in any liberal or neoliberal democratic society.

It seems to be increasingly difficult for me to imagine activity that breaks from civility with respect to how power structures are addressed even as the opposite seems true about adjacent and downward-facing socioeconomic relationships. I see little cooperation where the rubber meets the road, but competition to appeal to the tone police has never been higher this side of feudalism. People are more comfortable with cultivating or reinvigorating old social divisions as well as luddism than they are with allowing the knowledge of what is possible to inform them to demand or seize better conditions. Something akin to a collapse is likely needed to jolt people away from this self-defeating behavior. The problem with collapses caused by anxious action is that they are rarely followed up with equal energy given by the same group with regard to order-making.

Last edited:
Some of this I attribute to a mismatch between our capacity as a species and natural emotional preferences/tendencies we have for guilt/penance concerning law and culture. Most mainstream political messages about work (from both the left & right) prop up the idea that employment is and will continue to be the best way to determine people's viability in society. Some would like to believe that this is all haphazard foolishness. While I disagree, I do understand why holding that opinion is more comfortable than viewing the public's anxiety as a strategically advantageous goal of power structures. Believing the latter could prompt the kind of action that is out of step with the more docile, penitent default setting I mentioned earlier. And it would do so in an atmosphere when common people's expectations of privacy, and thus personal security, are lower than they've ever been in any liberal or neoliberal democratic society.

It seems to be increasingly difficult for me to imagine activity that breaks from civility with respect to how power structures are addressed even as the opposite seems true about adjacent and downward-facing socioeconomic relationships. I see little cooperation where the rubber meets the road, but competition to appeal to the tone police has never been higher this side of feudalism. People are more comfortable with cultivating or reinvigorating old social divisions as well as luddism than they are with allowing the knowledge of what is possible to inform them to demand or seize better conditions. Something akin to a collapse is likely needed to jolt people away from this self-defeating behavior. The problem with collapses caused by anxious action is that they are rarely followed up with equal energy given by the same group with regard to order-making.

Sadly I do not see it getting any better short of civilization collapsing before people wake up and by then it will more than likely be too late to correct the long term harm this all has caused.

Reactions: Nautilidae