Trouble sleeping

donaldmull

Donor
Feb 22, 2011
MBTI
ESFJ
Enneagram
The Protector
Here recently I have been having some issues sleeping. I lay in bed and am very tired but do not fall asleep. I go to bed about 10 pm and am up and down for most of the night. I finally fall asleep between 3 and 4. I even tried taking Tylenol PMs, Benadryl and nothing seems to help. Any suggestions or ideas would be very helpful.

I have the same problem here. A cast iron frying pan over the head maybe?

I notice I sleep better when I exercise regularly. :shrugs: I go through bouts of insomnia as well.

I have the same problem here. A cast iron frying pan over the head maybe?
I have tried that, and it seems to help a bit, it really helps when you have your better half do it :)

I notice I sleep better when I exercise regularly. :shrugs: I go through bouts of insomnia as well.
I actually exercise quite a bit....I have had some major tooth aches. Perhaps they are linked.

MY advice would be not to ask anyone on THIS forum for advice on sleeping through the night, since none of us do that here! :O

Reactions: jyrffw54
I get nights like this too, although I usually find they pop up most often when I'm stressing about something and don't acknowledge it. I don't know if this is the case for you, but apart from doing some soul searching, try to wind down about an hour or so before bed. Turn off the computer and TV screens, brew some herbal tea (I recommend something like Melissa or chamomile) and take this opportunity to get through any tedious reading that has been stacking up for you.

Good luck. :)

Melatonin will work. It is a supplement and not a prescription strength sleeping aid though. You can force yourself to stay awake past the sleepiness with melatonin versus a perscription. Of course I have a membership to the Insomniacs of America Club, so yea...grain of salt...big grain of salt...

I get nights like this too, although I usually find they pop up most often when I'm stressing about something and don't acknowledge it. I don't know if this is the case for you, but apart from doing some soul searching, try to wind down about an hour or so before bed. Turn off the computer and TV screens, brew some herbal tea (I recommend something like Melissa or chamomile) and take this opportunity to get through any tedious reading that has been stacking up for you.

Good luck. :)
A few nights ago, we did go NeverAmI's belongings. That maybe where the "stress" is coming from. I really do not want to call it stress, but maybe feelings? That was a very difficult time.

Melatonin will work. It is a supplement and not a prescription strength sleeping aid though. You can force yourself to stay awake past the sleepiness with melatonin versus a perscription. Of course I have a membership to the Insomniacs of America Club, so yea...grain of salt...big grain of salt...

I will have to look for that, thank you :)

Im having the same problem at the moment, Im going to try meditating for longer tonight, see if it helps ^^

I tend to listen to some nice music. Normally if Im tired and can't get to sleep, Im stressing about something. Sometimes I massage myself as well.
There are various things to do. Take a look around on google, there's some good stuff there ^^

Thanks for all the feedback. I have honestly never meditated before. I may also try that :)

I don't like to take medicine but I went through a really bad bout of insomnia. I discovered Valerian root. That seemed to help. :)

I don't like to take medicine but I went through a really bad bout of insomnia. I discovered Valerian root. That seemed to help. :)

AWESOME!!! I am writing all this down so that way I can try one at a time. :)

I feel like posting just to see if you will respond to this. I think it is so sweet for you to respond to every post and wonder when you will get tired of it. LOL

Maybe after you've made 100 posts? I might just have to keep this thread alive to test my hypothesis. She hasn't been around but [MENTION=3710]kiu[/MENTION] should be able to assist me with this....

You should also avoid caffeine a few hours before bedtime

I feel like posting just to see if you will respond to this. I think it is so sweet for you to respond to every post and wonder when you will get tired of it. LOL

Maybe after you've made 100 posts? I might just have to keep this thread alive to test my hypothesis. She hasn't been around but @kiu should be able to assist me with this....

You should also avoid caffeine a few hours before bedtime
Yea, I guess i am a bit hyper. I think most of it is that I want to sleep and will do whatever I can to seek this adventure! lol I get rest, but in 2 or 3 hour spurts.

Anxiety is probably the main cause or it can be what I call overthink. I tend to have at least 3-5 day stretches at a time where I only get 2-4 hours of sleep a night. I am usually thinking too much and can't turn my mind off. It is hard to disconnect if you live in your head a lot and it keeps going and going. By the end of my insomniac period I am usually more extroverted and a bit loopy.

I am a bit loopy anyhow ;) I think I am going to turn in for the night and perhaps try some reading also. I love to read, however it puts me to sleep!

~Camomile Tea
~Lavender
~Whisper Therapy
~Continuous Tension/Release of muscles while lying down
~Don't eat within 2 hours of bed time
~Don't eat overly spicy food/sweets within 2 hours of bed time
~Pretty much don't eat anything that would be hard on the stomach within 2 hours of sleeping