I put on my robe and wizard hat.
Banned
Mar 29, 2012
Ireland
MBTI
ENFJ
Enneagram
***TRIGGER WARNING RAPE AND SEXUAL ABUSE/VIOLENCE***

Has anyone been watching the new Netflix Documentary series, The Keepers? It's delving into the murder of a nun in the cover up of sexual abuse at a Catholic School in Baltimore in the 60s and 70s.

Reactions: dang
***TRIGGER WARNING RAPE AND SEXUAL ABUSE/VIOLENCE***

Has anyone been watching the new Netflix Documentary series, The Keepers? It's delving into the murder of a nun in the cover up of sexual abuse at a Catholic School in Baltimore in the 60s and 70s.

No, how is it? Have you seen Deliver Us from Evil, the 2006 doc about a Catholic priest who sexually abused many children in California before moving to Ireland to live as a free man? From what I remember, considering I saw it more than 10 years ago, it was very intense and powerful.

Reactions: 5r6jhd
No, how is it? Have you seen Deliver Us from Evil, the 2006 doc about a Catholic priest who sexually abused many children in California before moving to Ireland to live as a free man? From what I remember, considering I saw it more than 10 years ago, it was very intense and powerful.

It's fantastic. I started watching it yesterday afternoon and I'm 30 minutes from the end now. It's a 7 part series documentary, about an hour long for each episode. It's incredibly graphic, so if you have any issues in this area, be warned. Definitely definitely worth the watch. I'm so glad more stuff like this is being given such public air time, the catholic church needs to pay.

Interestingly enough, the Priest in question in this documentary also was said to disappear to Ireland for a while. As an Irish woman who has been abused, this pisses me the fuck off. Why is my country a haven and shelter for pedophiles?

Why does the church (and not just the cathloic church) seem to so frequently shield these monsters?

Reactions: Sandie33 and dang
Also @dang, no, I haven't seen that doc but maybe in a few months when this one has had some time to air out from my mind I'll check it out too.

It's fantastic. I started watching it yesterday afternoon and I'm 30 minutes from the end now. It's a 7 part series documentary, about an hour long for each episode. It's incredibly graphic, so if you have any issues in this area, be warned. Definitely definitely worth the watch. I'm so glad more stuff like this is being given such public air time, the catholic church needs to pay.

Interestingly enough, the Priest in question in this documentary also was said to disappear to Ireland for a while. As an Irish woman who has been abused, this pisses me the fuck off. Why is my country a haven and shelter for pedophiles?

Why does the church (and not just the cathloic church) seem to so frequently shield these monsters?

It's insane. It really is all so mind boggling. You wouldn't believe the doc I recommended. The guy was an absolute monster. He would date single mothers so that he could abuse their children. He would rape boys at church. He even raped at least one baby. Seriously. And he never went to jail. The church protected him. Then he retired to a home in Ireland where he lives near a park with a playground. These people need to be brought to justice, and held accountable.

Reactions: Sandie33 and 5r6jhd
Also @dang, no, I haven't seen that doc but maybe in a few months when this one has had some time to air out from my mind I'll check it out too.

When I was living in Europe (Oslo), I saw an Irish movie about 15 years ago called The Magdalene Sisters. It was shocking. The clergy were basically running an abusive mind control cult while exploiting teen girls as slave labor in order to make money for the church as a laundromat. Crazy. I was raised Jewish (and I'm 1/8 Irish), but I am now an atheist who despises religion. I think people like Sam Harris are correct in that humanity would be better off overall without religion. I grew up in Boston, which is filled with Irish and Roman Catholics, not to mention many abuse victims. I've been to Ireland, but I avoided the churches. Part of me likes being exposed to the harsh realities of life, but then afterwards, once I process everything, I can become very angry and frustrated. Not that I would ever burn down a church, but after watching these types of docs, I would fantasize about doing so. Also, see Spotlight. It is set in Boston, is based on the true story of what happened with regard to church abuse there, and is very uplifting. Boston and New York are like Little Irelands. You will definitely be able to relate. And I'm sorry for what you have personally been through. Unfortunately though, you are far from being alone.

Reactions: 5r6jhd
Oh yeah the Magdalene Laundries are well documented.

Even in recent years in Ireland, we have more stories and mass graves of babies found. They didn't give two fucks. It's so scary.

It's not just Ireland though, it happens everywhere. I was abused in the US. My parents were christian missionaries for a large portion of their adult lives and I spent years as a kid and teen being dragged around the United States, around the world through all sorts of organisations and churches. There is only church I know of that handled an abuse situation poorly. No one will tell me much of the details, and honestly, I'm too scared to ask my mother. Abuse is not a conversation we have. Ever.

My grandmother here in Ireland told me a story about her church and they have a pedophile attending and she had to tell him off one day when she found him wandering around by the childrens church section. It just made me angry. Why the fuck is your church allowing him to be there? Fuck your forgiveness. You will rail against peple having abortions but you will accept and forgive the pedophile and allow him into your family organistion? BullSHIT.

I just finished the documentary. It was exceptionally good. It was very detailed and in depth and I really liked the fact that it focused on the victims/survivors as opposed to the people who commited these crimes. It wasn't just one priest, it was an entire network including the police. They reckon the Baltimore police helped cover up the murder of Cathy Cesnik.

Oh yeah the Magdalene Laundries are well documented.

Even in recent years in Ireland, we have more stories and mass graves of babies found. They didn't give two fucks. It's so scary.

It's not just Ireland though, it happens everywhere. I was abused in the US. My parents were christian missionaries for a large portion of their adult lives and I spent years as a kid and teen being dragged around the United States, around the world through all sorts of organisations and churches. There is only church I know of that handled an abuse situation poorly. No one will tell me much of the details, and honestly, I'm too scared to ask my mother. Abuse is not a conversation we have. Ever.

My grandmother here in Ireland told me a story about her church and they have a pedophile attending and she had to tell him off one day when she found him wandering around by the childrens church section. It just made me angry. Why the fuck is your church allowing him to be there? Fuck your forgiveness. You will rail against peple having abortions but you will accept and forgive the pedophile and allow him into your family organistion? BullSHIT.

I just finished the documentary. It was exceptionally good. It was very detailed and in depth and I really liked the fact that it focused on the victims/survivors as opposed to the people who commited these crimes. It wasn't just one priest, it was an entire network including the police. They reckon the Baltimore police helped cover up the murder of Cathy Cesnik.

Yeah, I guess according to some, two men getting married is a bigger deal than a little boy being sexually abused by a priest. It's just crazy. Let me know if you check out Spotlight, Deliver Us From Evil, or The Magdalene Sisters. This topic still needs more attention. The Pope needs to be grilled on a daily basis about this coverup and conspiracy. No more protection or secrecy.

I think the reason they won't do much about abuse in the Catholic church, at least in part, is due to the centuries of corruption and the inability to accept blame for much of anything. They have refused to acknowledge so many of their atrocities for ages. After executing protestants and "witches" for so long, abuse probably seems like nothing in comparison. I was raised Catholic (thankfully, we stopped going much when I was around 8 or 9 years old) but much of my distain for religion stems from that "faith" and their intolerance and hypocrisy.