[INFJ] Translators/Interpreters

LateralTalking

Regular Poster
Aug 22, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5 (?)
I haven't found a thread about it. Are there any Infj in translation / interpreting? I am pretty gifted for languages, I speak English and German at an average level just because I seem to absorb structures and vocabulary as a sponge, whenever I travel abroad (and I rarely do it). And I understand what I read globally, so that if I miss a single word, I still get the meaning of the whole text. Still, I haven't pursued this path because the work seemed to present these weak points for my personality:
-lack of sense of purpose/meaning
- you translate mostly business /legal/ technical stuff. Like operating manuals for washing machines.
- good independence when you work as freelance translator, less when you are interpreter (you've gotta be the silent follower of bosses )
- lack of original contributions
- no people motivation/healing/improving involved, even less when you translate

I enjoy translating very much, but I would honestly prefer to do it as an occasional occupation rather than a full-time job, and I'd rather translate in my field of expertise (music / music therapy) than in general fields , so that I can feel I'm doing something unique and meaningful.
What are your opinions about it? Is there anybody in the field?

I was working as an interpreter for a while, I found it boring sometimes, lack of opportunities to express yourself in any way, you are just like a machine thats supposed to repeat whatever someone said in a different language... I didnt mind doing it for a while because of the money, which are pretty good btw, but as Im so oversensitive - I found it very emotionally demanding and draining. To this day I remember every single job I did, I got too involved into all sorts of situations I was not supposed to get involved in etc. I should probably add that I worked mostly face-to-face, with people who were in one or other sort of trouble, like ill people at doctors, beaten up people at the hospital surrounded by police, parents of beaten up children at social services, disciplinary hearings, courts even, jobcentres and so on, and my over-compassionate nature didnt do me any favors - one of my last jobs was at the jobcentre, I ended up feeling so sorry for the woman who I was interpreting for that I ended up finding her a job myself and even taking care of her kid for a few days when she was breaking up with her husband... I was never supposed to get that involved at all...

But I can see myself working on written translations - nothing boring like legal stuff though, maybe translate literature or something creative like that :) I am getting a bit rusty though, methinks :p

The last time I was in Juvenile Court I watched an interpreter work with clients during a hearing. It was my first time and it was incredibly interesting. Considering I am in the south (USA) and bilinguals are few/far between, this would be a great field to be in. I personally wouldn't want to get attached to the content; but I would enjoy the mobility and variety factor. You learn so much about how the system works just by simply being present. This is an advantage.

You learn much, and that's true. It pays well... but nobody considers what you think about the topic (and you are not supposed to express opinions). Seems a bit like a slavery to me, as you said, a robot-job. Except when you translate novels, or screenplays, sure. that would be creative and meaningful. Still, you don't get much money & recognition (name a few translators you've read of?).

Mhm, a real bugger was not being allowed an opinion, when i spent so much time in my head analyzing those situations, extra frustrating when you know you are right so much it hurts and everything is really obvious to you, but not anyone else :/