Toxic Positivity | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Toxic Positivity

This is pretty good.

I didn't watch the video, but I'm aware of this and it can be very irritating. Hype culture in entertainment is a good example. It's happening right now with the Silent Hill 2 remake.

Ultimately both positivity and negativity are attempts to adjust one's behaviour to a predicted outcome. They can both be toxic to the extent that they become premature and disproportionate to the reality. Toxic positivity has become a bigger issue I think because it is less recognised and to some degree a product of our culture. There is a fear of confronting the dark and dismissing real issues that then fester and grow out of control.

People who try to force happiness are usually overcompensating for their own deep seated negativity, which they then project onto others.

Unhealthy enneagram type sevens I'm assuming.

Last edited:
People who are in the toxic positivity narrative are always unhappy indignant wankers.
Decent humans never talk about whether being positive is good or bad.
It's just common sense that everyone will have ups and downs.
One extreme or the other is no bueno.

People who are in the toxic positivity narrative are always unhappy indignant wankers.
Decent humans never talk about whether being positive is good or bad.
It's just common sense that everyone will have ups and downs.
One extreme or the other is no bueno.
I have been called negative constantly.
Because I pointed out that a guy at work was being sexist to a woman at work.
Again, for pointing out that another guy was being casteist to another person. (You will have to look it up).
For telling someone that they are not taking their ovarian cysts seriously enough. (Herbal treatments from YouTube)
For expressing concern for my own daughter's screen addiction.
In my experience, people who want to be constantly positive are afraid of thinking, & more comfortable sweeping things under the carpet.
In my experience,
unhappy indignant wankers
make the positive difference in the world, because they are willing to admit that something is wrong, something needs improving ...

Not that you'll listen to me, but you're obviously the main factor there

There are plenty of ways to call out problems while not being negative.

Reactions: aeon
make the positive difference in the world, because they are willing to admit that something is wrong, something needs improving ...

It's hard to tell what is going on here. In the US, a large part of etiquette that is ingrained in our culture is "publicly pretend the bad thing isn't happening." Pointing it out, however politely or compassionately, will inevitably upset some people because it doesn't flow with ignoring. People forget that living behind this curtain doesn't prevent them from facing reality or from receiving (in theory, politely shared) differences in opinion. Perhaps it is similar in India?

On the other hand, maybe you need to soften your delivery. Either way, softening your delivery with people who are likely to act offended or hurt by your honesty will probably be more effective, even if their feelings aren't sincere or the information needs to be shared.

Not that you'll listen to me, but you're obviously the main factor there

There are plenty of ways to call out problems while not being negative.
I'm glad I am the main factor in standing up for those, for whom nobody stands up for ...
Maybe there are ways, I highly doubt there are plenty, I highly doubt they are effective, of softly telling a bully they are a bully, & stopping them.
You're right, When someone speaks in such blanket generic absolutes,
toxic positivity narrative are always
with no reference to context at all, & also use abuse words, again blanket for an entire set of persons, yes, I tend to discount their views. Your message merely happened to be the last in the thread.

It's hard to tell what is going on here. In the US, a large part of etiquette that is ingrained in our culture is "publicly pretend the bad thing isn't happening." Pointing it out, however politely or compassionately, will inevitably upset some people because it doesn't flow with ignoring. People forget that living behind this curtain doesn't prevent them from facing reality or from receiving (in theory, politely shared) differences in opinion. Perhaps it is similar in India?

On the other hand, maybe you need to soften your delivery. Either way, softening your delivery with people who are likely to act offended or hurt by your honesty will probably be more effective, even if their feelings aren't sincere or the information needs to be shared.
Oh, yes, the "Just smile" command is just omnipresent in India.
Thanks, I do try to regulate my behaviour.
However, I was simply referring to my own experience, it's not a rant 🙃

However, I was simply referring to my own experience, it's not a rant 🙃

I understand! It's relatable, too. I'm good at detaching my emotions from the situation in most cases where a problem needs to be solved, and I can come off as insensitive. I care, but I view solving the problem as caring.

I'm glad I am the main factor in standing up for those, for whom nobody stands up for ...

I'm glad I was right that you are the actual problem of being negative rofl

I'll grant you the fact that you're honest and the way you operate is effective for what you deem important though

Because I pointed out that a guy at work was being sexist to a woman at work.
Again, for pointing out that another guy was being casteist to another person. (You will have to look it up).
For telling someone that they are not taking their ovarian cysts seriously enough. (Herbal treatments from YouTube)
For expressing concern for my own daughter's screen addiction.
In my experience, people who want to be constantly positive are afraid of thinking, & more comfortable sweeping things under the carpet.
In my experience,

Dealing with neurotypicals often isn't easy nor rational when it comes to things like this and such people will one way or another just make things worse.