Toronto Subway Riders Come Face to Face with Farm Animals | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Toronto Subway Riders Come Face to Face with Farm Animals

"Happy meat" as most people call it, is pretty much a counterproductive movement to the environmental & animal rights cultures and has about the same effect as putting a band aid on a broken bone. It's the same BS argument car manufactures gave us when they introduced Hybrid cars, ignoring that 100% efficient electric car they intentionally took off the market a few years prior to that.

When the ultimate goal to their end of the argument is - don't eat meat, don't produce animals, removing the need for a ranch or farm to begin with, improving the environment ten-fold and then being able to use our crops to feed the humans directly - it's an insult when people start talking about "humane" meat.

And their argument is valid when you think in terms of global population. The amount of space a ranch/animal farm takes up and the lengthy process involved from birthing the animal to slaughtering it. The grain needed to feed the animals while they're alive. The cost in transportation for the live and dead animals, including the cost in production for the grain (same as the grain we are also capable of eating) that goes into feeding them.

The only way to produce enough meat to feed 7 billion people is through factory farming. And most people who know about the factory farming process (even on this thread) wouldn't support, or want to support it. We've simply outgrown the means in which we can humanely raise and then feed meat to the population of the world. You might personally also like to hunt your meat, but the other 6.2 billion people who have no access to a wooded area or weapon to hunt with are still going to need to get their food from somewhere.

It's not like the 7 million people who live in NYC can all pick up a rifle and go hunt a deer on a weekend... and if they did, what do you think would happen to deer populations? So now some industrious person thinks, "well, I can raise deer for hunting". But now you have range land management practices and control measures to account for as well as the time people have available to hunt. Person now thinks, "I can make more money at this if I raised them and also killed them here on my farm, selling the meat." And now we're right back to factory farming.

You see, it is a matter of progress. If we want to continue living and advancing in the way in which we've become accustomed, we need to eat and grow food more efficiently. Meat has nothing in it, the animal's direct diet doesn't also provide. Corn, rice, beans, squash... even the American Indians knew the value in growing and eating some of those crops; the "three sisters" as its called. That food can be easily grown, harvested, dried and shipped without the middleman (meat) and at a fraction of the cost for meat. In the right storage (without the need for refrigeration), it can also last nearly forever too.

Moral and ethical debate aside, I have yet to hear any valid reason people can give for raising and eating meat. It doesn't make sense on the emotional side (as the video points out) but it makes even less sense on the logical and practicle side.

Reactions: barbad0s
This argument will go no where;we have already been around this bend before. I don't know why this issue was brought up again.

Moral and ethical debate aside, I have yet to hear any valid reason people can give for raising and eating meat. It doesn't make sense on the emotional side (as the video points out) but it makes even less sense on the logical and practicle side.

I find it delicious. It will always be around because many other people also find it delicious. Is there any valid reason for growing and smoking tobacco? Nope, but there's a market.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
There's never a good time to have this discussion. It's not a "let's agree to disagree" debate either when the actions of some affect the lives of everyone... especially when those actions are based off of "personal tastes" and prejudices while the hard data and science continue pointing the other way. You combine the oil industry, greenhouse gasses, climate change and overpopulation all in one topic when discussing the food we eat and the way we grow it; everything's interconnected.

weather forecast

tumblr_lsv6y7YD401qgbg0co1_500.jpg

Reactions: Lerxst
Trying to control everyone else in the world is only going to lead you down a path of frustration. You can only change your own life and the lives of those whom you inspire. Passion is a good thing, but people stop listening when they think you're fanatical. I remember awhile back the circus came here and some friends of mine chained themselves to the arena to try and make a point about animal cruelty in the circus. Do you know what happened? People didn't say "They are so right, I never thought of it that way" they said "Omg, look at those crazy hippies." What they should have done instead is when someone asked them to come to the circus (and they would have, it was a big deal at the time.) respectfully decline and explain their reasons for doing so. Now the inviter may not have agreed but some would and it would cause them to rethink, and the idea would spread virally, no one would think them crazy, in fact people would give a lot of respect to their stance.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I'm out I've made my self clear in the past. My position didn't change. Going veggin will not save us from the issue we are facing...I'm not giving up meat or animal products end of story!

So until someone can come up with something new lets stop posting this issue ad-nauseum for no reason other than to force people into giving up meat.

thread/

Reactions: This
I'm considering making the switch to not-meat. In other words, I'm going to stop buying meat, because I would save craptons of money. I don't care about how tasty my food is.

Why are people so crazy about food? Why are they so surprised when they get fat?

And on a completely personal level, I can sleep soundly at night knowing this isn't something I would every personally consider or promote in any way, shape or form. Quite the opposite in fact.

http://www.examiner.com/pet-rescue-in-national/hatchery-defends-itself-as-chicks-are-ground-up-alive

Sadly, both the United Egg Producers and the Humane Society of the United States confirmed what Head had to say. Jonathan Loworn, vice president and chief counsel for HSUS reported that there is no federal law that guarantees the humane euthanasia of animals on farms or hatcheries. Furthermore Loworn warned that, “Virtually all egg farms, even those that sell cage-free eggs, get their hens from hatcheries that kill their male chicks.”

[video=youtube_share;JJ--faib7to]http://youtu.be/JJ--faib7to[/video]