KazeCraven

Graduated from Typology : May 2011
Donor
Aug 9, 2009
MBTI
IEI
Enneagram
6w5 sp/sx
So, I've been thinking about the relationship between philosophy and art lately, and the analogy in the title is the best I can come up with.

Just to elaborate, what I'm saying is that both philosophy and art can be used to get to a depth of understanding, but whereas philosophy takes a very logical approach to understanding, art takes a more feeling-based approach. Not that either is only limited to a pursuit of understanding, but in so far as they are used to that end, that's the relationship.

What's your opinion on the analogy?

It depends on how you define art and the effect it's intended to create. Architecture is a form of art, but it's considered primarily functional, so i wouldn't consider it Fi. To describe art as Fi only is limiting it's scope. Are we talking about artist intent? Or the art work's effect? i think artwork has massive Ti - it makes you think and question, and challenge reason, although art by nature because it's subject to interpretation can't be seen as demonstrating a single truth, although it may suggest a dominant interpretation. So since there are multiple ways to look at and interpret a pic - many possibilities - it engages the intellectual faculties as well as emotions and feeling.

Last edited:
Well, yes I was thinking only from the perspective of artist intent and the effect it has on the perceiver of the art, but I can definitely see how lots is being lost here.

Perhaps another way of putting what I was thinking of would be to consider whether the clarity of Fi would be developed through art and whether truths discerned by Fi would be best transmitted as art.

I suppose what I'm trying to do here is define what lies in the realm of Fi and what lies in the realm of Ti if we're intent on understanding. If it turns out that all contemplation and attempts at understanding depths of human nature still falls within the realm of Ti, then this would make my analogy moot.

Not really; adding more to Res' words; most of the times creating an art requires a Ti, as per attention to detail, noticing flaws, and basically creating the best, just as philosophy is a window to the soul / Fi. One can only muse something they want to muse about, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing.

In a certain way, Ti can also enjoy art; the details, the anatomical correctness, the techniques, and Fi can appreciate philosophies as well; how they clicked with one's life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
. . . most of the times creating an art requires a Ti, as per attention to detail, noticing flaws, and basically creating the best, just as philosophy is a window to the soul / Fi. One can only muse something they want to muse about, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing.

In a certain way, Ti can also enjoy art; the details, the anatomical correctness, the techniques, and Fi can appreciate philosophies as well; how they clicked with one's life.

This^^^. Well said.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I see your point now.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I see your point now.

Just for clarification; This isn't saying your point is incorrect, tho; In fact your point IS correct. It's just the puzzle wasn't completed yet.

Most knowledge, I would say, can't be really put into certain functions. Probably except biology.....

Last edited:
This isn't saying your point is incorrect, tho; In fact your point IS correct. It's just the puzzle wasn't completed yet.

Most knowledge, I would say, can't be really put into certain functions. Probably except biology.....

You absolutely need Ni for biology. Can't be simply Se or Ti. ;)

You absolutely need Ni for biology. Can't be simply Se or Ti. ;)
I would say more towards Si (and in application, Ni + Si). Wouldn't it be crazy for Ni to remember all those muscles and bacterias and viruses and processes and WHOA WHOA WHOA STOP BRAIN DEAD ?

Maybe it's just me; me wee teenee brain cannot really 'instantly' remember it so it has to be remembered hard. >_<

I would say more towards Si (and in application, Ni + Si). Wouldn't it be crazy for Ni to remember all those muscles and bacterias and viruses and processes and WHOA WHOA WHOA STOP BRAIN DEAD ?

Maybe it's just me; me wee teenee brain cannot really 'instantly' remember it so it has to be remembered hard. >_<

Well, you wouldn't apply Ni to memory. But the sense of "knowing" what disease or illness is affecting the body involves compiling different types of biological/chemical knowledge about the body (Ti), using Ne-considering the variety of possibilities for diagnosis based on signs and symptoms, and the presence of Ni-intuiting what's is wrong even if all the evidence doesn't indicate what's really happening in the cells.

So, it's Ti+Ne (secondary Ni) working overtime to figuring out signs and symptoms to diagnose an illness and then figuring out how to treat it.

Last edited:
So, I've been thinking about the relationship between philosophy and art lately, and the analogy in the title is the best I can come up with.

Just to elaborate, what I'm saying is that both philosophy and art can be used to get to a depth of understanding, but whereas philosophy takes a very logical approach to understanding, art takes a more feeling-based approach. Not that either is only limited to a pursuit of understanding, but in so far as they are used to that end, that's the relationship.

What's your opinion on the analogy?

interesting~! i consider myself an artist first, philosopher second (if at all), but really they are not that divided in my mind. philosophy is just as intuitive and carefree as it is structured and logical, and the same could probably be said for art (the technical aspects like proportions, perspective, etc. would require strong logic). i believe a combination of both would be needed both to create art and philosophical ideas, and to appreciate and gain some sort understanding from the same.

*goes to muse over the mona lisa* lol

Reactions: KazeCraven
Well, you wouldn't apply Ni to memory. But the sense of "knowing" what disease or illness is affecting the body involves compiling different types of biological/chemical knowledge about the body (Ti), using Ne-considering the variety of possibilities for diagnosis based on signs and symptoms, and the presence of Ni-intuiting what's is wrong even if all the evidence doesn't indicate what's really happening in the cells.

So, it's Ti+Ne (secondary Ni) working overtime to figuring out signs and symptoms to diagnose an illness and then figuring out how to treat it.
Ah, in that case; I agreed. :)