[INFJ] - thoughts on ego death? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] thoughts on ego death?

I don’t think I’m confused on the difference between the ego and the super-ego. I think you might be?

Again, Wikipedia:

The super-ego[28] (German: Über-Ich)[29] reflects the internalization of cultural rules, mainly taught by parents applying their guidance and influence...The super-ego strives to act in a socially appropriate manner, whereas the id just wants instant self-gratification. The super-ego controls our sense of right and wrong and guilt. It helps us fit into society by getting us to act in socially acceptable ways.[23]

In your example, unless society and your parents deem it appropriate for you to walk around nude, your super-ego would inundate you with criticism until you turn around, go home and put on a robe. Your super ego is the sense of the communal right and wrong that you grew up with. It is critical of any desire arising from your id (I want to walk around naked) that is in conflict with prescribed morals (sex is a sin). It might not actually be right. It is just an internalization of the rules of the times.

You can say the ego is protective of the id, and in that sense, it does often lead to unhealthy thinking and behavior. I would agree if you said there are a lot of unhealthy egos around. I disagree that egos are by nature unhealthy, or unnecessary. As stated, I disagree with Buddhist beliefs on this.

A healthy ego, on the other hand, seeks to moderate the desires of the id with the rules of society, and also, challenge social more when appropriate. In other words, we need a function that lets us determine what is right between what we want and what society wants, when the two are in conflict.

What we need is actually a healthy superego. People may think without ego they would be miserable...

Going back to the construct that the ego serves as a intermediary between what you think society finds acceptable, and what you want. Even if the super ego is healthy, that does not mean it won’t come into conflict with the id. I’m sure there’s a quote somewhere about how there is no perfect society for each and all of us. So goes my original point, which is that we cannot live with a super ego alone, even if it’s healthy.

For example, say you’re at a stop light and it’s red. Society’s rule says you need to stop. That’s a healthy rule, wouldn’t you say? Do you always follow that rule? Or, do you always follow your own desire, which is to go? The ego is there to help you decide.

Reactions: Wyote
For example, say you’re at a stop light and it’s red. Society’s rule says you need to stop. That’s a healthy rule, wouldn’t you say? Do you always follow that rule? Or, do you always follow your own desire, which is to go? The ego is there to help you decide.

Yea! What if it's broken and stuck on red? Or skips the red sequence for some reason? Or maybe a T-Rex is chasing you! :wink:

Reactions: pzl2lxie81mc
I don’t think I’m confused on the difference between the ego and the super-ego. I think you might be?

I wrote before that I'm not following Freud because it's just a theory (maybe it will stay as one) and there is some part of that theory that I don't agree.

I translated my idea to Freud's idea so people can understand me therefore I'm not writing about Freud's theory.

And I'm not trying to be right. I want to share idea(s).

Now you know my intent (at least I'm sure you are). Why do you think you are not confused? Please explain.

In your example, unless society and your parents deem it appropriate for you to walk around nude, your super-ego would inundate you with criticism until you turn around, go home and put on a robe. Your super ego is the sense of the communal right and wrong that you grew up with. It is critical of any desire arising from your id (I want to walk around naked) that is in conflict with prescribed morals (sex is a sin). It might not actually be right. It is just an internalization of the rules of the times.

I would walk around naked if people were okay with it. I actually did it when I was little, because it was so hot like it's right now. But I would be ashamed of it if others ashamed of it. The reason is empathy, not unhealthy superego.

Yes, society taught me what is right but I don't think it's right just because they think it's right. It doesn't mean I don't have superego. I only listen to my own superego if I need to. I have my own sense of right and wrong. Which I meant to write is, superego not fundamentally obey to other's sense of right. Unhealthy superego does. If you let your ego, it will force personality to decide what seems to be right because of the unhealthy superego.

I want to mention, ego is similar to the satan, superego is similar to the angel, id is similar to personality's weakness which satan uses to divert. Personality listen to them to decide if it wants. There is no need for it.

I disagree that egos are by nature unhealthy, or unnecessary.

Why? Please explain.

As stated, I disagree with Buddhist beliefs on this.

Why? Please explain.

A healthy ego, on the other hand, seeks to moderate the desires of the id with the rules of society, and also, challenge social more when appropriate. In other words, we need a function that lets us determine what is right between what we want and what society wants, when the two are in conflict.

You don't think personality can't do that and why? Because actually, personality decides by moderating the information flow of id, ego and superego. You can think as personality is the king, superego is advisor of people's mood, id is advisor of what is needed and ego is like hand of the king in game of thrones. Id, ego and superego is part of small council. Yes, bad/unwise king would listen and do what their advisor said therefore it would create an illusion about who actually decides.

And why we should satisfy society? Do you think obeying to the society which is formed by ego-based people is healthy? Do you happy and agree when they exclude people because they are different?

Going back to the construct that the ego serves as a intermediary between what you think society finds acceptable, and what you want. Even if the super ego is healthy, that does not mean it won’t come into conflict with the id.

Why? Please explain.

I’m sure there’s a quote somewhere about how there is no perfect society for each and all of us. So goes my original point, which is that we cannot live with a super ego alone, even if it’s healthy.

The perfect society is possible if people stop using their ego. For example, the source of greediness is ego. Also the emphasis on materialism. Therefore it's how/why capitalism works. "You feel bad about your life? Then buy a car and feel good. Everybody will be jealous and want to be you." That's how marketing works by using people's ego to manipulate them.

Healthy superego actually would create a society similar to smurfs. Everyone would eat free cake in the morning, etc. But of course, there would be a resource problem which is why they decided capitalism is needed.

Communism never will work because people are greedy because of their ego. While they may think everyone should be equal, some people always will think they should be more equal.

It depends on the situation. If I'm sure there will be no ticket for it or it doesn't important to me and if the road is clear then I wouldn't stop. I wouldn't stop not because what society thinks (so I wouldn't listen to my superego), nor because of my selfishness (it's empty so no need to listen to my ego), if my life isn't in danger or something then there is no need to listen to my id. So, I used my personality to decide. Why do you still think ego decide it?

Last edited:
I am writing almost entirely from Freud’s framework of the id, ego and super ego. I think if you’re coming from your own construct that doesn’t really relate to Fredud’s concept and theory, then maybe don’t use the same terms as he does? I mean, if you equate the term “ego” with Satan, then your construct isn’t really equivalent to Freud.

The “ego” I’m referring to is that part of my self that intermediates between my base desires, the id, and my conception of societal rules, the super-ego. I need my ego because it is what tells me to run the red light if it’s in the middle of nowhere and there are no other cars around, or to stop if it’s broad day light and I’m at the top of a hill. This is not the same as being egotistical, or egotism, which might be what you’re thinking of as ego.

Some people say the ego allows us distinction between one other. It is what gives us a sense of self, an identity separate from others. I believe, though don’t quote me because I’m not an expert on Buddhism, that this is why they say to reach enlightenment, the ego has to die. While I can see why that’s said, I have never wanted to erase the boundary between me and other people, to sublimate my own identity. I mean, I guess this means I’ll never become enlightened. On the flip side, I’m never confused as to who I am either.

id is the part that doesnt understand that you cant just have everything you want. pure self fulfillment
Ego is the life lessons trained part that is based on facts of reality.
Super Ego is like moral concepts and other constructs of that manner?

I'll put my view on the Ego and spiritual self from the perspective of having done quite a bit of psychedelics.

For one... A bad trip. It's sort of the same for your ego as it is for your body to be drowning. It's a panicky desperate feeling as the Ego is frantically grasping for what it knows. Senses are not how they are supposed to be and the lack of baseline reference really upsets Mr Real Stuff.
Spiritual existence is a state free of the desires of the body. When you achieve full separation, then your thinking changes, because much of what keeps us from thinking properly is fear. Fear is mostly about not fulfilling your physical bodies needs... in some way or another youre afraid of not getting something. It's well hidden, but clouds our thoughts with all kinds of restrictive thinking. So, once you are free of that tether you can look at things objectively without worrying about yours or anyone else's feelings, lies, insecurity, just things that hard knocks have taught us.

Yeah, the dangers of doing this with powerful psychedelics is that if you aren't practiced and ready for the transition the Ego can actually suffer severe trauma. I could imagine it being similar to waterboarding.

Being is comfortable. Only for like 30 seconds I guess once and a few glimpses other times. Everything exists there. No distance in that it's like recalling thought rather than travel. Time seemed to exists because I was there receiving. As soon as I tried to mentally grab some shit to bring back, it broke the connection. Physical processes aren't allowed.

I am writing almost entirely from Freud’s framework of the id, ego and super ego. I think if you’re coming from your own construct that doesn’t really relate to Fredud’s concept and theory, then maybe don’t use the same terms as he does? I mean, if you equate the term “ego” with Satan, then your construct isn’t really equivalent to Freud.

I actually mentioned ego (same as id and superego) not as "ego = satan" but as "ego -> satan" (which by "->" I meant translating it.) The name doesn't matter. It could be ego, satan, shalala or whatnots, what matters is what actually is this. Therefore mentioning what actually ego is doesn't equal to referring to Freud's definition of ego. I'm mentioning the part people know as "ego". If I didn't translate my thought to what people can understand without naming it "ego", people couldn't understand me. How could you understand me if I mention it as "shalala"? (rhetoric question)

The “ego” I’m referring to is that part of my self that intermediates between my base desires, the id, and my conception of societal rules, the super-ego. I need my ego because it is what tells me to run the red light if it’s in the middle of nowhere and there are no other cars around, or to stop if it’s broad day light and I’m at the top of a hill. This is not the same as being egotistical, or egotism, which might be what you’re thinking of as ego.

I believe what makes this decision is your personality which is connected to id, ego and superego therefore actually your personality decides.

In this scenario, I explained clearly why there is no need to listen to your ego, in the case of a particular situation. I don't think your choice anything to do with egotistical/egotism. Of course, it depends on the situation.

I have been explaining it but you don't explain why you think so. You just share your idea and disagree without reason therefore it's meaningless to share idea(s) with you. I'm not playing a game, there is no winner or loser, right and wrong. Our subject is a theory which is subjective. So, without your subjective reason, it's meaningless why you think I'm wrong. I would ask you the reason but you wouldn't care.

You would be a good political leader because majority of humanity is sheep therefore they don't even listen to what you say as long as you give positive vibes. Like this "I don’t think I’m confused on the difference between the ego and the super-ego. I think you might be?" people would feel you win the argument because it seems so. If you give negative vibes then they feel the need to argue. So, if you declare "everyone should die" people would accept it as long as you give a positive vibe. It's how propaganda works. "Let's start a war between Vietnam because they are commies (somehow people think it's a bad thing because they feel so). Sorry, I wandered off again.

What you are doing is protecting your ideas. Which I will explain why you are doing it by replying to your quote below.

I have never wanted to erase the boundary between me and other people, to sublimate my own identity. I mean, I guess this means I’ll never become enlightened. On the flip side, I’m never confused as to who I am either.

What your concern is what I call "personality defense" which what ego does. Which is characteristic of type 4 (which I call as "ego-based person" while I call type 1 as "superego-based person", I'm not still sure but I call type 9 as "id-based person" for now). Type 4 wants to be different therefore they won't stop listening to their ego. Also, I think Fi-dom people are in more touch with their ego.

My intent is not accusing you nor condemn you but I want to mention this: I met a lot of type 4 who were above 30, they were still acting like they are teen. I have never met a mature type 4. They are trying to be different. In reality, a person can't be unique, probably someone similar like you was/will exist therefore trying to be different meaningless. They have a hard time accepting to society's standards which there is no harm in obeying it. They have a hard time because they afraid they will lose their identity. To them, if you can't be yourself then you are fake. I think you can't/shouldn't be yourself 100% because the world is not a selfish playground, we have to care for others too. We can't get/do everything we want. We can't control everything.

This "boundary" between you and other people causes you to can't really connect with a people. Therefore you can't be the same page on people, you can't learn from them. Because you will think their idea will change you which what type 4s are afraid of it. Not accepting to sublimate your own identity will cause selfish acts. Which isn't why you are resisting to my point of view? I didn't mean it as "I'm right therefore obey me" but as "at least consider my point of view. am I really nothing in your eyes so you avoid my questions?".

I feel like you didn't move an inch, I have gone far away and yelling you from there. Which what closed mind people cause me to feel like, they are like a wall. (I'm not accusing you nor condemn you). But I will thank you because you made me realize maybe I have to re-define what ego actually is and what is the real connection between ego and personality. I will also search for new parts.

Some people say the ego allows us distinction between one other. It is what gives us a sense of self, an identity separate from others.

I think ego feel a need to be unique, better than others (at least being different). To accomplish it, it tricks personality like a devil to be so. Which is why I think ego is a fundamentally unhealthy part.

I think everyone is very similar to others and can't be really different. For example, some of us have hobbies. Some of us play piano, some of us read book. Some people may think piano > book while I think this difference is subjective and even if it was objective, it doesn't matter. Therefore I have no need to feel different, don't care about my identity. No matter what I do, I will be me, not so significantly different than others. Just because I have to obey others doesn't mean it's a threat to my personality and I lost my pure identity or something. Which I accepted, I can't/shouldn't be myself 100%, a long long time ago.

While I agree to not being a reflection (having your own identity, not being fake), I still see no reason why it's ego's job. I don't think I need boundaries. Actually having no boundaries to me is a good thing. Because with boundaries a personality would be in a closed cage (buried in ego, protected by any bad/good external effects by ego). Therefore that person would have a closed mind. This kind of behavior is characteristic of type 4 and type 1, as a matter of fact. While type 4s let their ego to set boundaries, type 1 let their superego to set boundaries therefore they are very rigid, closed mind. Type 4s reason is protecting their identity, type 1s reason is protecting their sense of right.

Of course, these are my subjective opinion(s) on these subjects which it may not be real. I don't think the construction of reality stops. We may wander deep into the forest without realizing we are actually in the illusion of going outside of it. I hope you will be enlightened and I hope my opinion(s) show you and others the right way, which is the reality.

@Rigdonb

I think you will be interested in Maslow's hierarchy of needs theory, if you didn't aware of it.

Call me a Type 4 or insinuate that I’m a politician trying to “win” - that’s your own ego protecting itself. I am not the only one pointing out that you conflate ego, super ego and what you call personality, together. I’m not talking about your definition of “ego”. Why would I?

I’m not disagreeing with you. You’re disagreeing with me. Let’s make that clear. Maybe ask yourself why you feel so threatened.

Call me a Type 4

Clearly, there was a misunderstanding.

I didn't wrote you are a type 4 and never meant to. I wrote "which is" to indicate that what I called "personality defense" behavior is characteristic of type 4. I mentioned it as a information, as an example, nothing more. Yes, I won't deny that it seems to me, the source of your concern that I call "personality defense" behavior is ego.

I thought, you would think I think you are type 4, but I wanted to mention my opinion on type 4s -which would seem my intent is assaulting- so I wrote "My intent is not accusing you nor condemn you but I want to mention this" to ensure my intent is "not accusing nor condemning type 4s" I also I excluded you from type 4s. It seems it caused an unintended, even opposite outcome. But I don't deny that it seems to me you are type 4. Because you remind me of someone I know. Maybe that's why I subconsciously wrote like you are type 4 and didn't realize you would misunderstand. Therefore I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Even though, it seems to me you disliked my thought. It seems to you, being type 4 worth to dislike for. It just my opinion therefore no need to dislike. I don't think being type 4 is a fundamentally bad.

or insinuate that I’m a politician trying to “win”

I didn't wrote anything about you are trying to win or something. What actually I did is pointing out that your unresponding to my questions and lack of stating reasons is similar to some political leaders. Yes, the technics you used (probably unintentionally) especially in your last post may help you to win as a political leader. You can accept it as a compliment actually.

that’s your own ego protecting itself.

I will consider if my ego protected itself. It would be better if you state your reason like I wrote to you before about why it's important to state your statements with reasons.

You didn't state any reason therefore all I can do is wonder: Because I continued?

I am not the only one pointing out that you conflate ego, super ego and what you call personality, together. I’m not talking about your definition of “ego”. Why would I?

I didn't force you nor accused you for it. I'm actually amazed how did you conclude that.

I won't accept an opinion just because you are not alone. They burned people just because they thought the world is not flat. The same people probably believed their god sitting on clouds. I hope you won't think I'm accusing you as if you are an ignorant or something, these were just examples.

I wish people wouldn't believe something is true and/or it makes it truer just because they are not alone. Or else, they may fall from the cliff like sheep herd.

I’m not disagreeing with you.

Then how do you explain this:

"The “ego” I’m referring to is that part of my self that intermediates between my base desires, the id, and my conception of societal rules, the super-ego. I need my ego because it is what tells me to run the red light if it’s in the middle of nowhere and there are no other cars around, or to stop if it’s broad day light and I’m at the top of a hill. This is not the same as being egotistical, or egotism, which might be what you’re thinking of as ego."

Your statement means you disagree with my theory of "personality is the one what decides". Because, after all of my explanations, you stated it without giving any reason. I'm not forcing nor wanted you to agree or I'm claiming I'm right. I would just like to know why you don't agree so I can understand if I'm wrong.

Also, it seems you stated it as it's out of the question like it's an objective truth because you didn't stated any reason. That's why I stated I want the reason of your opinion(s). I stated my reasons so you would understand it's my opinion so the sharing of idea would go beyond clashing our opinions. Therefore I felt like you didn't move an inch.

You’re disagreeing with me.

I have no reason to disagree with you because you didn't state your reasons. You only state your opinion. That's why I asked some questions but you didn't answer (not that I'm accusing of you). And I don't agree (it doesn't mean I disagree, I still couldn't decide because there is no reason) with your opinion and I wanted to know why you don't agree with me (I'm writing again: I didn't meant to as a forcing you to accept my opinions, I meant it to state I want your reasons) and why we are walking along different roads.

A further thought, I think you seem like type 1 (I didn't meant it as a bad thing) because you remind me of my mother, she is also an INFJ. She makes statements like it's objective truth and won't share her reasons. When you ask her reason, she look at you like you are the most retard person ever and won't share the reason. But ironically, she sometimes misunderstood you as you were disagreeing with her. Therefore, she tries to do the right thing by doing the obviously wrong thing. Also, she sometimes thinks, you somehow know how/what she is thinking and intent 100% without any real reason. Yes/no, I mentioned about my mother as a information, an example. Not that I'm claming you are type 1.

Let’s make that clear. Maybe ask yourself why you feel so threatened.

I didn't. Yet again, I'm amazed how you conclude that. Why would I feel threatened? We are just sharing opinions. It's not a matter of life and death or something.

Is it because I wanted to know your opinion and you make me feel like you don't care about my questions? I'm not assuming but I can't find a good reason why you didn't answer my questions. You could just answer "I don't know" and/or "I follow Freud and/or my opinions therefore your questions are silly" then it would be okay. I don't know if you think I will judge you or something. Because you are silent about the subject, my Ni mind easily find more than a reason of why you didn't answer my questions.

Is it because I have been cautious, mentioned my intent and what I think would be better if you did? I was preventing to avoid any misunderstanding and trying to properly share ideas like I'm right now.

If I have to feel anything about it, it would be "disappointed" because it's an interesting and fun subject IMO, it's a great chance for me to improve my opinions so I can learn new information and I can replace my opinions with better ones yet no one shared anything new to me. At least, I hope my opinions will be useful.

Indeed, this is why you’re having trouble dealing with differing opinions.

I don't have a problem with differing opinions. I have a problem with your opinion because you don't state your reasons therefore your opinion stay as empty. Maybe you thought I was disagreeing with you because I asked you questions? I didn't ask them to mean "answer them if you can" or something. I even wrote "please" so to make it clear that I want your reasons and I wouldn't seem rude.

I think you are so focused on me, you can't realize what you are doing. Also, maybe you take all the seemingly negativity you can find about me and connecting it with yourself by using Ni for some reason, therefore you think I disagree with you, I felt threatened and I have a problem with differing opinions? Maybe you following some bias about me so you can't see the real me and you misunderstand what am I doing?

Maybe it seems I disagree to disagree. I assure you I'm not. I'm just being cautious to accept opinions, that's all. I even wrote I will consider to re-define what is ego and search for new parts even though you didn't give me a reason., didn't I?

Here is a blog post about boundaries and why they’re needed. It also explains the difference between boundaries and walls, two other things you conflate.

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/impe...-healthy-boundaries-why-do-i-need-boundaries/

I actually could disagree with you on this one because there is a reason.

I actually didn't conflate boundaries with walls. I didn't mean it as a walls. I especially used the term "closed cage" and "protected by ego" to mean ego is like an overprotective mother. For example, I meant it as a more like kingdom's boundaries (a fortress with a gate guarded by soldiers). If I was considering it as walls, I would say "closed box". Maybe you misunderstood what closed mind people actually is and/or somehow you misunderstood what I meant because I wrote: "they are like a wall". Well, it was just a comparison, I didn't state it as "closed mind = wall".

A closed mind is not like a closed box, because there are external data and information entry but closed mind may excludes them, even it expels them if they get in, without a fair reason. Therefore their personality is like inside of a closed cage (for example: hiding in the basement of their mother's house, protected by their overprotective mother). Their mother is like ego, also who protect them may be their father (superego) therefore, the personality in this case like hiding in their father's basement. Of course the personality could be protected by their mother and father too. The personality obeys mother and/or father therefore it's not the one who decides, it actually obeys.

I will explain why I think (IMO) I (I wrote "I" intentionally to mean why I don't need it but you misunderstood as why people don't need it and maybe also you meant it as I'm wrong and I need it) don't need boundaries and why I think strong personality is enough and how/why id, ego and superego causes hindrance:

Metaphorically, let's think, the kingdom as a brain and let's name this kingdom "kingdom x". Think the information contained in genes and memory as citizens. Think the personality as a king of the kingdom x. Think ego as the army who protects the kingdom (anything inside of it) therefore they protect boundaries. Think superego as the law about which people can cross the boundaries. Think the people outside of the kingdom x as external information, and I will name these people as "strangers". Think id as advisor of the king.

In this scenario, let's think a stranger from another kingdom wants to defect to the kingdom x. The person claims he is an engineer and his kingdom is destroyed. He swears he will be loyal to kingdom x.

Let's think, if the superego is healthy then the law states that everyone who is useful may cross the boundaries. If superego is unhealthy, they won't let strangers in, even they expel citizens.

No matter if superego is unhealthy/healthy, the soldiers always has to call the king so he will make the final decision. The king may obey the rules or not. The king may listen to his advisor, soldiers and citizens, obey them or ignore them. The advisor doesn't understand the usefulness of the strangers but he is an expert at which kind of stranger will destroy the kingdom but of course, sometimes he overreacts. Also, the advisor may decide to start a coup d'état using the army to prevent the king from destroying his own kingdom. If the soldiers think the king isn't enough, they start a riot and dethrone the king hence soldiers run the kingdom.

In this case, superego is healthy:

If soldiers are healthy people, they obey the rules therefore they have to learn if what he says the truth. So, they call a citizen who is an engineer to test if the stranger tells the truth or not. If the citizen is enough to understand the value of the stranger, they welcome the stranger to the kingdom x if the king decides so. If the citizen isn't enough, the citizen may think the stranger won't be useful, may even think incorrectly that the stranger will be useful.

So, soldier's call the king for the final decision:

Let's think, the bad king always trusts the judgment of the citizens therefore the kingdom x has some useless strangers who also have a negative impact on the citizen(s). Of course, by pure luck, there is also useful strangers too.

Nor bad or good king (not enough) may sometimes make good calls, sometimes not.

A good king would know who is useful precisely, the king even somehow knows how to make useless strangers useful: The king finds the best part in strangers and can able to make them better at it. Therefore, his kingdom is in a golden age. Sometimes citizen and advisor also make good calls but it doesn't matter. Their king is so good, they won't even need soldiers to protect the boundaries. Therefore, apparently they have no boundaries. He deals with all the strangers personally, he defects all the enemy by himself. The king is so powerful and good leader.

Which by this metaphor, I meant that there are no ego effected boundaries, the strong personality may be the boundary itself as you can think it so. Which is why I wrote; you don't need boundaries if your personality is strong and strong personality is enough. Therefore I don't think I need boundaries. Like I meant it as I don't need tv because I already have books, therefore, I can entertain myself by reading a book. Maybe I don't have to learn the news. If I want to I can learn it from the internet. You can even think it as I don't need tv because I already have a tv. It doesn't make a difference.

If soldiers are unhealthy, they may think their kingdom is good enough already therefore they won't let any stranger without even calling a citizen, they may even think the strangers will ruin the purity of their kingdom (that's why I think type 4s has a problem with being different, they value purity). Therefore they may not call the king, even if they do, they may persuade the king to not let the citizen in.

Also, healthy soldiers may not call a citizen to verify if the stranger who claims he is stronger lying or not. They are a soldier, therefore they claim they are expert at strength or anything related that make them think the stranger definitely help the kingdom to be powerful. They still call the king, but may persuade the king to let the stranger in. If the king is bad and not good enough to make the right call, he is easily persuaded. The stranger may indeed powerful, or he may be apparently strong but coward or no wish to help others.

If the advisor is unhealthy, he will persuade the king therefore they won't let the strangers in.

If the advisor is healthy, he may even help the king the make the right decision if he needs.

If this metaphor isn't enough then I will explain why I'm not someone who is having trouble dealing with differing opinions then I will make explanations about the reasons of why I think these about boundaries:

If I was still having a trouble dealing with differing opinions then I would still cry about why do I have to obey the society like when I was 4 years old.

Nobody cares your life, they care about themselves, they act selfish, you have to pay to get something, there is something people called country, etc. It was shocking to learn these when I was 3 years old. I was asking and tried to understand why people are enemies of each other. They make us watch war videos about my country's independence war at the nursing home when I was 4. I was thinking about why people have to kill each other. Yes/no, there wasn't anything related to gore but there were explosions so you could clearly understand people get hurt. Therefore I learned the death. Because they stopped moving collapsing to the ground after they were running for some reason. I hoped they will move again.

While I thought how bad life is even though I was 4. Everything caused me deep pain, all these negativity of people, etc. therefore I was crying for everything. People act like my trouble is nothing.

I had the obey the society. I had to do I didn't want to do. I had to keep it to myself and accepted to go the destination which is nowhere without even object. I had to obey the society because it's what you should do to survive. Which is why no one really can prevent sublimating of their own identity. Therefore having boundaries is meaningless because you can't expect others to obey your boundaries and having boundaries also means the boundaries may be bad but because you set the boundaries so fixed like unhealthy type 1 or type 4, even though people begging you, you won't erase the boundaries. Is that what you want?

For example, one of my boundaries is not making noise. I expect silence in my house unless it's absolutely necessary. But people do what they want. My brother listen to music even after midnight therefore we can't sleep. His boundary is doing anything he wants (from listening to music to cutting a wood, don't ask me why). Yes, we asked to erase this boundary of his and at least tried to compromise (at least make no noise while we are sleeping) but he doesn't care. What should we do? Beat him until he understands? Kick him from the house? Call the police? Kill him? Suicide?

What I meant isn't boundaries fundamentally bad. What I mean is, because people have boundaries, it doesn't always get along with others' boundaries. Therefore some people win, others lose. Having boundaries cause problems. Therefore when others violate it, it causes negative thinking and/or feeling. When you can't prevent people from violating it, it disappoints you, makes you sad. All you can do is hope: People won't do anything selfish, therefore hoping they are healthy. If not, hope that you can endure it; hope that it won't pass the breaking point.

Also, in the example of the article you share; Chris, yes, can ask her to not the pick his flower. She may obey or not. People do what they want. You can't always stop it. If she doesn't obey, depending on the law, Chris can stop her legally or not. Maybe she had a boundary for allowing others the pick the flowers. If she not obey then it means she doesn't want to erase this boundary of hers. Then the reason is; she doesn't want to sublimate her own identity, according to you. Which I didn't understand why this means it shouldn't happen and why it means violating the identity. Because of one thing, it doesn't mean you lose your identity. I don't think, my brother wouldn't sublimate his own identity if he would agree with making no noise. He is an INFP and type 4. Therefore you can understand why he won't accept our boundaries and doing whatever he wants. He expects us to obey his boundaries. When we cross his boundaries he considers it as threat to his identity. No, he is not a little child biologically. His body is 30 years old, but his mind is like a teen. Sometimes you have to sublimate your own identity for others. Even if it means losing your identity. I won't care anyone's identity if they are selfish. They can shove their identity and boundaries up into their arse. Yes/no, I don't think all INFPs and/or type 4s is similar to my brother, I hope so.

While yes, I like to listen to something whenever I want too. That's why I use an earphone. So people enjoy the silence. But my brother doesn't even accept that believing it's bad for his health. It's not bad for health if you don't increase the volume too much. If you can make the equalizer setting properly, you will hear everything clearly even in very low volume without needing a quality earphone. He doesn't care about our well-being. It's actually better with listening to it via earphone. Because of our house's acoustic, the sound amplifies outside of the room so you can hear it more clearly outside of the room. Therefore, he increases the volume to hear it more clearly but in the process he causes headaches. He knows it but he doesn't care.

I will also explain the reason of why boundaries is an illusion. And why there shouldn't be boundaries.

For example, when some stranger talks about their problem without asking me if it's is okay to talk about it, I wish to punch them in the face and I also resist. If my ego is healthy, I may listen to them wishing; silence and I hope it won't happen ever again. These wishes are my ego's wishes. Which is the source of boundaries. My id considers other people's problem as toxicity, I feel like I'm exposed to radiation and feel like I'm dying faster. While my superego says: "don't punch them in the face, yes it makes you feel bad but it won't kill you. it's just words. so listen to them and won't say anything to hurt them or they may feel they are worthless". Which is the reason why I think we need healthy superego instead of a healthy ego. The advices of my superego makes me more at ease and cause me to relief but still, my ego makes a fuss about this decision. You may think, the ego is unhealthy. Then I will explain it later.

I caught between my id, ego, superego. I said "I" intentionally to state that my personality was caught between my id, ego and superego. Therefore I thought I should listen to my ego. I was beliving the healthy ego nonsense but there is no such thing. Healthy ego sets boundaries that make me feel better but boundaries not always possible. It causes you the burn the bridges. For example, I sometimes yelled to my brother to make him turn off the music so he cares because he ignores you if it's a suggestion. He sometimes did turn off, sometimes there was blood. Nothing changed, it only prevents it temporarily. Somehow sometimes he thinks I'm okay with noises now and start it again. So the history repeats itself again and again∞. Yes, there is a permanent solution but I won't choose it, I can't even. No matter what, I felt guilty thanks to my superego. It may be easy to deal with my brother. How could I deal with strangers about my boundary of sharing no trouble? Wearing "I don't care your trouble" t-shirt all the time? Yell "shut the fuck up" so they won't do it again? Isn't that a bad thing to have this boundary?

In the article you shared, the guy can call the police so she won't bother him anymore in case she doesn't listen to him if the laws allow it. But there are factors that beyond the protection of the law that makes my boundaries pointless.

I don't want to live in this hell. I can't be myself in this world. Therefore it makes my boundaries pointless. Yes, no one violates my garden, but they violate my preferences and the society actually approves it. Normal people don't think so as I'm, therefore some laugh to me, some get upset. That's the way it's. Who am I gonna complaint about it? Who cares? If I said someone that I don't want to listen to their problem people would think how selfish I'm, how what I think is wrong, what a bad person I'm, people would run from me like a plague. In reality, telling your problem to me is pointless because I'm not Jesus, I have enough problems to deal with it, it's their problem, what actually they need is a solution and they should be the one who should help themselves. I would tolerate if they wanted a solution but some people just want sympathy, they want to listen lies. When you give advice, they think you are a smart ass (some people may listen to everyone's advice and choose the one that made them feel better which is not the right choice always). If you give them sympathy then you become arse licker. When you tell them you don't care, you become selfish. If you just punch them in the face you become criminal.

Actually, my healthy ego caused me to be a robot like others. I was just kidding myself to be happy by falling into the illusion of the hedonism of materialism which we called "happiness". I wasn't selfish thanks to my healthy superego, but I was going with the flow like others. While I still cared for others sincerely, I was caring about myself more. Therefore I thought it's okay to use others to gain if they let me. When someone failed, I was laughing with others to them, and the guy who failed also laugh at it too, so it's okay right despite he broke his leg? I dreamed an ideal wife, ideal kids, ideal house, even an ideal car. I forgot my dreams, who I was and I accepted the life I had. But, I was chasing the happiness like a robot. It seemed so wrong. But I didn't realize the reality of the condition I fell into until I discovered how/why I didn't act like myself.

You know what?: Unhealthy ego forces you to masturbate your ego. Healthy ego prevents the need for masturbation but if it seems close to being unhealthy, it causes ego masturbation. Also, healthy ego makes you think extra ego masturbation wouldn't hurt. Isn't that why people want and want and want∞?: "it's nice to have a tv in living room. oh, you don't want your tv than give it to me so I can put it in my bedroom though I probably won't watch it because I don't even watch the tv in living room much but it doesn't hurt, right?".

I thought I grew as a person but what actually happened is, my personality buried inside my ego. I let my ego and my superego control my body.

I was so different than I was. I set boundaries compatible with what I want and what society approves to ensure my happiness. I burned the bridges. I was right, morally and legally, therefore society would think I'm right. I should protect what I have, right?

Then I realized I don't want to be this guy. I want to be myself but I don't want to be caught between my id, ego and superego. I (my personality = me) needed conciliation.

I accepted: I already lost it. No matter what I do, I will die and be nothing (therefore I'm technically already a nothing) like I was before therefore it doesn't really matter what happened/will happen. Life is a very trivial matter but people think it's important therefore they think there is trouble. To me, there is no trouble.

So, if the activity that causes noise makes my brother happy then it's not a big deal. He lives in this hell like the rest of us. It doesn't worth to take his happiness from him to make myself happy. What I should do is: tolerate it but not as obeying, but accepting the reality that I can enjoy the music, it doesn't have to hurt my well-being, even it did hurt me I will recover (so my id stopped complaining). My boundary (no noise) was pointless (I can't ensure the silence without leaving my house or kick him) but until I erase it, I would be disappointed so I erased it (so my ego stopped complaining). Accepted, my happiness not worth more than others' happiness and it doesn't worth to make a fuss for it (so my superego stopped complaining). And finally, I'm not the guy who would care only about my own happiness, and I won't ensure it even it means to hurt others (so I stopped complaining).

I also feel better about listening to their problems. Life is so bad therefore they tell their all problem to a stranger like me for some reason. I just listen and I do what I must do for them depending on the situation. I feel bad in the process for them. What else I do? They can think I'm a smart ass, ass licker or whatnots. They can accept others' advice therefore they may make the worse choice. I don't care.

I don't think I lost my identity after all these. I actually grew as a person for real this time. I see it as an improvement. I may have to lose my identity If it's necessary and it should be, depending on the situation. What matters is improvement IMO.

From now on, I will reply to what is written in the article you shared:

If I was Chris, she could pick the flowers if she wants. It's not a big deal to make a fuss about it. And I don't understand why it's bad to pick the newspaper to his doorstep. Clearly, Chris is sick. I wouldn't mind dog poop and it's not a big deal if it chases the birds away. Which I don't understand how actually stating you don't want dog poop and you don't want the dog scaring the birds in your garden prevents it. Dogs doesn't care who is the owner of the garden. It just poops wherever it wants. Doesn't care about birds. People can't always control the behavior of their pet. Of course, they could control it by keeping it under surveillance and they may force him to not do something which they may not always successful. When he is free from chains shit happens therefore the only solution would be: chain the dog to his doghouse or something all the time which is I dislike. The garden needs care time to time therefore I or someone who I'm hired could take care of the poop in the process of cleaning it and taking care of the grass and flowers. It would be like sport to me. I don't mind if the children playing in my garden and messing it. I would encourage kids to clean up the mess themselves so they will learn responsibility, in turn, they can play in my garden and I can even give them something valuable if it's not enough. Also, it's a good opportunity to use them to clean the garden without hiring someone or let others doing it. I can persuade the kids' parent if they think making them work is bad by mentioning teaching responsibilities and getting ready to work life so they will get used to it. I would even pay to them if it's not enough. It's also a good opportunity to hire the kids for errand(s).

you’re not responsible for how others feel or behave.

The statement stated as overgeneralizing therefore it's not true for all situation. We are all responsible for how everyone feel and behave if the cause is ours. Even if we aren't the cause, we should care about people's mood. It's our responsibility. Of course, I wrote "care" not "lick their ass", not "sacrifice yourself". Also, I won't gonna ignore someone if they are hurting themselves as the statement seems to encourage it.

Boundaries allow you to let go of worrying about how others feel and places accountability squarely with the individual.

It depends on accountability. We all have responsibilities that we have to do even though we don't want to do. Sometimes, what I want doesn't important, what we want is important. I wouldn't want to make someone upset by being selfish. I will do what I should do, of course if it's necessary. For example, if your children expect you to be with them (about their school) but you don't want to then it's being selfish, you should be with your children.

When you clearly communicate your boundaries, people know how they’re expected to behave.

In my experience, people don't care about your subjective boundaries. They may care if it's objective which people call "common sense" and/or law. It depends on the person. If they are healthy, you may don't need to state boundaries.

Some people have ridiculous boundaries, especially about marriage. For example, some people want to sleep on another bed, alone. Some people don't want a kid, but they want dogs. What if I don't want a dog? Like most people wouldn't want a kid and you searching for someone who wants dogs except kids or other animals?

Some people end the relationship because of your hobbies. They don't even tolerate one hour a week practice of a musical instrument. You are dead to them because they can't tolerate it for one hour a week. Your whole existence isn't important than their one hour a week of silence.

Yes, they can have any boundaries they want as long as they don't hurt others. But I wish for all people to have boundaries that cause win-win and easily accept to erase their boundaries for other people to prevent being selfish. But no, they have some stupid list (boundaries) and you should obey them. I wish anyone good luck because they need it.

You don’t need to be 100% sure before you act.

While I think no matter what, there will be always a possibility to cause you to fail, I think you have to be 100% sure before acting. At least it will decrease the chance of fail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article is mostly useful to understand why boundaries may necessary (even though she wrote it like boundaries fundamentally good), she didn't mention anything about the bad side of boundaries like unrealistic ones; the ones that hurt the people and/or the people who set them. Therefore what she wrote not the full aspect of the healthy boundaries. But of course, if you suspected it and you want to resolve your conflicts and/or want to learn more, you have to pay $22 to buy her book to "help" yourself. There are some people on the internet would give free and better advice than her. Probably she misleads people so they will have problem(s) therefore they will pay her.

Look at her. How she seems sincere but she actually wants to suck all of your money:

sharon-adjusted-e1463124212164-300x243.jpg

This article reminded me an advice that someone gave to someone about being confident: The person said "do what you want. don't care about others. they should obey you. you go gurl!" Can you understand the biggest problem with this advice that can cause a lot of problems? Or you gonna share another article (which defends the only subjective positive side of the point of view that leads you to buy a book so you can learn the "truth") without asking my reasons?

And I hope people won't completely trust these articles. Yes, not all of them may not completely useless but people should be vigilant about which opinions they should adopt.

This was really long and I could only get through a third of it. It seems to me you have issues at home that are causing you to think you need distort your sense of self. For that, I am sorry for you because we would all like a peaceful environment and you can’t pick your family. What I have to say about that is, and I’m generalizing here, it sounds to me that because you have a brother who doesn’t listen to you and what you want, you’ve given up on getting your way. Instead of saying that though, you’ve come up with a theory as to why you don’t need what you need in the first place.

The thing is, as you’ve pointed out, your brother is the way he is. He doesn’t seem to take you into consideration. He’s not going to stop playing his music. So, what good is that theory of yours to you? Except, let you hold onto your resentment towards him for not getting what you want?

I’m not saying you should argue with him endlessly, like two large egos battling each other to death. What I’m saying is, if you want silence, then maybe work towards the day you move out? Or, if you don’t want to move out, then understand that he’s bringing something to the table for you that’s worth giving up your need for silence. Or, if you can’t move out, recognize that you’re unable to fulfill your own needs. I mean, whatever you’re telling yourself isn’t really helping you resolve that unfulfilled need of yours.

When I said I wasn’t disagreeing with you, I meant that you were the one responding to what I wrote and feeling the need to question my perspective. That need is coming from you. I don’t have that need. I can see that we have very different opinions and I’m ok with that.

Reactions: biwaly
I also come up with another theory that is "what we think we need is what we want": I don't think I need to live but I want to live because I don't have guts to suicide. No, I'm not suicidal, don't worry. It was just an example. Yes, I want because I don't want therefore we want the opposite of what we don't want and it causes us to think we need it. I realized, actually I didn't need silence. Yes, silence is what I want but I don't actually dislike the noise. Yes, when I have to focus, silence would make me feel good but I realized it makes no difference in my ability to focus. Also, I realized, silence and no silence makes no difference in my quality of sleep. Now, I can actually able to sleep even though there is a loud noise. Thinking "I needed it" made it worse actually. It's like; I don't need to eat because I realized I'm never hungry.

Don't you see the paradox? We are all trying to pump up our egos by one-upping each other on a thread talking about how to kill the ego. Yes, even me, in responding to this thread, is implicitly looking for an ego boost.

The best book on "killing" the ego I've found is Transurfing. (I don't think you can kill it, but you can reduce or at least suppress it for a time) The author talks about our need to have importance or significance. This is where the ego comes from. In fact, trying to gain importance/significance is probably the #1 reason we do things. We want a partner, so we can feel important. People want fame so they can feel important. People like helping others out, so they can feel important. We like to win arguments, so we can feel important. We want our sports team to win so we can feel important. If we aren't recognized for something that we contributed to, we feel hurt because we want to feel important. According to the book, if you want to kill your ego, you have to reduce your self importance to the point where you have nothing to defend and nothing to conquer. And the paradox is that if you want to feel "real" importance, then you have to reject trying to be important.

Anyways, I suggest you read Transurfing (yes, all 5 books) if you want to get possible solutions on how to hold down your ego. It's a gem, and IMO the best self-help book out there (my ego talking again!)