The Syrian Clusterfuck | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The Syrian Clusterfuck

If only the refugees had somewhere to go...a country that would take in the...
“...tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

112 Tomahawk cruise missiles launched and blown up in Syria...each cost $1.87M to make (though some sites quote $1.99M).
That is $224M in total.

Estimated cost to replace the poisonous pipes in Flint, MI - $55M.
I thought Trump was all about helping “Murica First!”?

Not saying that we should allow the use of chemical weapons in the world...only that we have some really screwy priorities.
Especially when tRump banned any refugees (he’s trying so hard to help) from Syria from coming to the US.

What would it look like if America takes on anyone. Anyone can just fly or walk in. We're not going to worry about gangs or terrorists. You just get to come here. Don't matter if you hate capitalism. Or even the USA. We'll take you no matter what. I feel that if you bring all of these different cultures together that don't like one another you will have war right here. Bush said we were going to fight them over there so we don't fight them here. With the availability of guns and other materials it would be easy for a group to start a lot of trouble here. It sounds nice. But you will end the USA if they just open the flood gates. You will see people start to live in isolated communities separate from one another. Already happening with the El Salvador Mexican and Guatemala people who live here. My Mexican co worker told me Mexicans and El Salvador people don't get along too well.

To live in this country one must understand and respect the rights of others for America to survive. Without people willing to act like Americans you will eventually end up with another country with in the USA's borders.
What jobs will they have? There are a lot of poor homeless people here already. What types of welfare will they receive? They will come here poor expecting Americans to pay for their shelter and food. While those who were born here who ended up broke on the streets will starve for food money work and a home.wages will certainly go down. But not the prices. They will go up.

Reactions: Reason
I remember hearing somewhere that Assad’s father was in part responsible for developing the Islamic belief that suicide bombings are acts of martyrdom and a way into heaven. It wasn’t really the belief in Islam before then.

Putin has an interest in proving democracy wrong and autocracy right. He’s also probably bored now having subdued Russia and is just like, what else can I conquer?

Reactions: Skarekrow and James
Putin has an interest in proving democracy wrong and autocracy right. He’s also probably bored now having subdued Russia and is just like, what else can I conquer?
Vladimir Putin has been boring lately. At least Xi Jinping is innovating China; he intends to expand healthcare coverage and further industrialize the country, that's interesting.

Reactions: Skarekrow
Vladimir Putin has been boring lately. At least Xi Jinping is innovating China; he intends to expand healthcare coverage and further industrialize the country, that's interesting.

I find it interesting to see how tyrants hold onto power. Putin didn’t change the law on term limits, he just went around it. Xi Jiping changed the law. Not sure why they felt the need to keep the facade that laws matter.

My first question while listening was: what is that accent? Is that Welch? Not the question here, but I was wondering nonetheless. Then, about halfway through, I wondered: who is this guy who claims to know so much? How much does he actually know, and in what context does it stand with the situation at hand? The question didn't leave me, so I might have missed some portion of what was said afterwards, but I listened intently again for the epilogue. There, I actually consider him to be right. We have no idea what is really going on, and the transparency of the agencies seems to be less than transparent, as they still decide what is for the public to know. Leaks are just a small part, mostly taken out of context and not even necessarily true. And yet, our first instinct is to believe what they seem to be telling us. And once it is over, once all the pieces are ready to be put into their proper place, nobody cares anymore.

Jeffrey Sachs from Columbia University lays it out:

All the points that are illustrated in this video show once more how much we really don't know. Even the commentators say they know jack shit, and yet they claim to know things they have put into a contextual image of their own in order to tell us how f-ed up the situation is. But they, and by extension we, have no idea. We sit there, talking about things we don't know, have an opinion about it, are even expected to make decisions based on the evidence we get, when really we don't act on anything but an incomplete image and blind faith. But that is the way it has always been, hasn't it?

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone wants to believe him, or Colbert, or if any of the things stated there are even relevant in any thread, but I found interesting what he had to say about Trump, for how different it is from what I heard before.

My first question while listening was: what is that accent? Is that Welch? Not the question here, but I was wondering nonetheless. Then, about halfway through, I wondered: who is this guy who claims to know so much? How much does he actually know, and in what context does it stand with the situation at hand? The question didn't leave me, so I might have missed some portion of what was said afterwards, but I listened intently again for the epilogue. There, I actually consider him to be right. We have no idea what is really going on, and the transparency of the agencies seems to be less than transparent, as they still decide what is for the public to know. Leaks are just a small part, mostly taken out of context and not even necessarily true. And yet, our first instinct is to believe what they seem to be telling us. And once it is over, once all the pieces are ready to be put into their proper place, nobody cares anymore.
I don't know if this attack is legit. A while ago, and I don't remember when exactly there were some very similar circumstances and the government INSISTED beyond doubt that Assad had gassed his people. Then months later the news came out that it was the rebels.

It might be true this time, but its important to take what we are told with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I don't know if this attack is legit. A while ago, and I don't remember when exactly there were some very similar circumstances and the government INSISTED beyond doubt that Assad had gassed his people. Then months later the news came out that it was the rebels.

It might be true this time, but its important to take what we are told with a healthy dose of skepticism.
So you'd say what I stated is already unhealthy paranoia?

Reactions: Skarekrow
What would it look like if America takes on anyone. Anyone can just fly or walk in. We're not going to worry about gangs or terrorists. You just get to come here. Don't matter if you hate capitalism. Or even the USA. We'll take you no matter what. I feel that if you bring all of these different cultures together that don't like one another you will have war right here. Bush said we were going to fight them over there so we don't fight them here. With the availability of guns and other materials it would be easy for a group to start a lot of trouble here. It sounds nice. But you will end the USA if they just open the flood gates. You will see people start to live in isolated communities separate from one another. Already happening with the El Salvador Mexican and Guatemala people who live here. My Mexican co worker told me Mexicans and El Salvador people don't get along too well.

To live in this country one must understand and respect the rights of others for America to survive. Without people willing to act like Americans you will eventually end up with another country with in the USA's borders.
What jobs will they have? There are a lot of poor homeless people here already. What types of welfare will they receive? They will come here poor expecting Americans to pay for their shelter and food. While those who were born here who ended up broke on the streets will starve for food money work and a home.wages will certainly go down. But not the prices. They will go up.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree.
Statistics show that immigrants are far more law-abiding than their US born counterparts.
Also many more are trained for skilled labor than the US currently has trained or is willing to help get trained.
I really don’t think that most people coming to the US, hate the US.
I can look for polls if you want, but I can guess at what they might say.
I hate the form of Capitalism we currently have...it’s unsustainable.
Does that mean the country is crumbling since I have such an opinion?
I think most people who come here respect the laws and follow the laws.

Reactions: AJ_ and Wyote
Statistics show that immigrants are far more law-abiding than their US born counterparts.
Also many more are trained for skilled labor than the US currently has trained or is willing to help get trained.
I'm not well versed on american immigration politics, but wouldn't that be just the case then, that because you have such strict (?) immigration politics the ones who migrate as work force become a positive influence on the economy?

Contrast this to the situation in EU where we take in large numbers of refugees and economical migrants (or however you should phrase that) it evidently paints a very different picture.

I'm not well versed on american immigration politics, but wouldn't that be just the case then, that because you have such strict (?) immigration politics the ones who migrate as work force become a positive influence on the economy?

Contrast this to the situation in EU where we take in large numbers of refugees and economical migrants (or however you should phrase that) it evidently paints a very different picture.

Even those who are not skilled workers but those who work in unskilled labor positions commit crime at about a third of native born folks (at least here in the US).
And most are NOT on welfare.
That was my point mostly...not so much about bringing in skilled labor.

Last edited:
Even those who are not skilled workers but those who work in unskilled labor positions commit crime at about a third of native born folks.
And most are NOT on welfare.
That was my point mostly...not so much about bringing in skilled labor.
It might be because of how our welfare system works, but that is very different from what you see here in Sweden. When I get some time I'd like to look into how the two can be so different. If you do sit on any sources I'd love to read them.