Kabir

Four
Feb 22, 2017
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Kabir
Hi there,
So am just curious as to whether anyone here has read the book 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle?

I read this book at the start of 2015 and it made such an impact on me. I was one of those people who was always focusing on embarrassing and painful moments in the past and it really affected me on a daily basis. And not only that I would worry a lot about the future, from simple things like going to a friends party where there would be lots of people there that I didn't know, to more complex stuff like what am I even doing with my life.
But then a friend recommended this book. Its all about appreciating the moment of right now. Don't worry about the past, there is nothing you can do to change it. Don't worry about the future, because things are always changing and what you are worrying about may not even happen. Live in this moment right now and truly appreciate life. It was hard initially, but with practice it got easier and easier.

Would love to see what other people thought of this book if they have read it.

Yes. Read ...part of it.
It helped me a great deal primarily with an overactive mind.

This is a good video sort of explaining what I think is the best outlook personally

Reactions: Free and hn87c901
This is a good video sort of explaining what I think is the best outlook personally

Wonderful explanation @Wyote :)

I just love Echart Tolle. He is such a candid man of thought. He puts understanding that all you have is The Now into terms anyone can understand and relate to.

I have found value in acceptance and appreciation of the present moment. Our Now is constantly on the move (understanding this gives us a feeling of hope for our future while helping to remind us that the future is not promised yet will become our Now one day). Because our Now is continuously moving in a forward direction it also can serve as a reminder that we may be stuck on the past. Getting stuck on a past moment or event can slow our progress of moving with our Now. It is like a tether of sorts that weighs us down or drags us back to a time and we begin living our life through the lense of "that" time instead of seeing and interpreting life through the lense of Now..."this" time.

Living this way, from the present moment, The Now is less burdensome and frees up the mind to utilise and be grateful in where our life is Now. Getting others to understand and respect where you are at is a challenge, but should not deter your sense of Now.

As to Eckart Tolle, I find him a bit obtuse when it comes to discussing something as old as mindfulness. He's just rehashing Zen and Taoist meditation. If you are interested in pursuing this type of mental discipline, I suggest giving Thich Nhat Hanh's Miracle of Mindfulness, The Dandelion Has My Smile, or Peace is Every Step.

I personally prefer original source material for practices such as this. Why not study the foundation of this school of thought rather than read stuff by someone making money off of information that's been around for centuries.

My intention here is not to be a smartass, but rather to bring to attention what I consider more effective textual info.

Peace, Out

Reactions: Free and 5r6jhd
Plus one for The Miracle of Mindfulness. I read this book again and again.