The next big thing on the horizon poised to change the world. Graphene | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

The next big thing on the horizon poised to change the world. Graphene

I'm afraid other dimensions are not a possibility for either the big bang or virtual particles so far as I understand them.
You see, in the initial moments of the big bang, literally all of existence came to be. Including concepts of other dimensions. But be careful here. Other dimensions are not the sci-fi concept of this other worldly place that things can just step out of or into. The world we live in is three spacial dimension and one temporal dimension. The higher level dimensions are not accessible to us. Now it is true that this idea of supersymetry can be explained by some very heavy particles being excited in such a way that they move up to the fourth, fifth, and possibly sixth spacial dimensions, however that is not after the matter was formed. Not the matter came from those dimensions.

Some theorize the imbalance of baryons and anti baryons was actually a result of the big bang. Instead of this symmetry that some predict between the matter and antimatter, some think there was a slight difference. In this case, no matter just came to be, and it simply followed the natural course and the excess matter survived. However, the other theory where matter and antimatter were in perfect symmetry is still very valid. When I say the baryons just came to be, that does not mean out of nothingness. That is just my own inability to understand the concept. There are certain conditions in quantum theory that allow for this difference to come about, but it is all very far above my head. I do not claim to understand it any more than that it is possible, lol. Sorry.

Virtual particles however are very unusual, and I admittedly don't fully understand them either. As far as I understand it, they do technically come to be and annihilate each other to go from nothing to something to nothing. However, they are like particles when they come into existence, but they are also not like particles. Its like they aren't completely matter but they have effects equal to normal matter. Its because of their short term existence. I don't understand how, but it has something to do with Quantum field theory which is to say that everywhere in space has a field at some level of every type of field (like electromagnetic field or gravity field*gravity is a weird example though*). These virtual particles are predicted in the theory, and they basically come from this intrinsic field energy that is everywhere. By intrinsic field energy I mean that energy value which is intrinsic to space that exists. You see space has an intrinsic energy that is non zero (but is still extremely small) according to quantum mechanics. That field energy is where virtual particles come from.
It really depends on what theory you are adhering to…there are possibilities for another dimension that you can “step into”. Although, when we talk about traveling to another dimension you are actually talking about traveling through time and space…which we know is plausible.
I think what he was really getting at was the possibility of other universes, which is often confused with other dimensions.
It is possible for there to have been other universes before the big bang of our own.

I'm afraid other dimensions are not a possibility for either the big bang or virtual particles so far as I understand them.
You see, in the initial moments of the big bang, literally all of existence came to be. Including concepts of other dimensions. But be careful here. Other dimensions are not the sci-fi concept of this other worldly place that things can just step out of or into. The world we live in is three spacial dimension and one temporal dimension. The higher level dimensions are not accessible to us. Now it is true that this idea of supersymetry can be explained by some very heavy particles being excited in such a way that they move up to the fourth, fifth, and possibly sixth spacial dimensions, however that is not after the matter was formed. Not the matter came from those dimensions.

Some theorize the imbalance of baryons and anti baryons was actually a result of the big bang. Instead of this symmetry that some predict between the matter and antimatter, some think there was a slight difference. In this case, no matter just came to be, and it simply followed the natural course and the excess matter survived. However, the other theory where matter and antimatter were in perfect symmetry is still very valid. When I say the baryons just came to be, that does not mean out of nothingness. That is just my own inability to understand the concept. There are certain conditions in quantum theory that allow for this difference to come about, but it is all very far above my head. I do not claim to understand it any more than that it is possible, lol. Sorry.

Virtual particles however are very unusual, and I admittedly don't fully understand them either. As far as I understand it, they do technically come to be and annihilate each other to go from nothing to something to nothing. However, they are like particles when they come into existence, but they are also not like particles. Its like they aren't completely matter but they have effects equal to normal matter. Its because of their short term existence. I don't understand how, but it has something to do with Quantum field theory which is to say that everywhere in space has a field at some level of every type of field (like electromagnetic field or gravity field*gravity is a weird example though*). These virtual particles are predicted in the theory, and they basically come from this intrinsic field energy that is everywhere. By intrinsic field energy I mean that energy value which is intrinsic to space that exists. You see space has an intrinsic energy that is non zero (but is still extremely small) according to quantum mechanics. That field energy is where virtual particles come from.
Hmmm are you sure about that? Most of the well known physicists of today lean in the direction of not only multiple dimensions but of universes as well.

[video]http://video.foxnews.com/v/3507168686001/scientists-whip-up-wonder-material-with-blender-detergent/?intcmp=obnetwork#sp=show-clips[/video]

Its sooo much more than whats here. It will give us elevators to space, new air and space ships. Paper thin phones, roll-able computers and computer screens....

Sit back and watch the world change.

Yeah, if it wherent for the obsolete economic mode of production and class struggle holding things back and all.

Hmmm are you sure about that? Most of the well known physicists of today lean in the direction of not only multiple dimensions but of universes as well.

I'm sorry, I meant my statement as other dimensions don't seem to be a viable explanation of the initial creation of the universe or a source of virtual particles. It is certainly plausible that there are higher dimensions, however it is important to note that we have not yet proven this. This is mainly an idea from string theory, which some claim is impossible to prove. The multiple universes is also a case where many believe it to be correct, however this one might be more fundamentally impossible for us to prove. Personally, I do agree with the idea of multiple universes and multiple dimensions :)

I'm sorry, I meant my statement as other dimensions don't seem to be a viable explanation of the initial creation of the universe or a source of virtual particles. It is certainly plausible that there are higher dimensions, however it is important to note that we have not yet proven this. This is mainly an idea from string theory, which some claim is impossible to prove. The multiple universes is also a case where many believe it to be correct, however this one might be more fundamentally impossible for us to prove. Personally, I do agree with the idea of multiple universes and multiple dimensions :)

Maybe you are using the wrong technology to try and prove the existence of these things

Maybe you are using the wrong technology to try and prove the existence of these things
That's the interesting thing about dimensions and alternate universes. It might not be a matter of technology. Lets start with the universe one, its easier to explain. This is a fundamentally impossible thing to prove with direct evidence because of the following consideration. Everything that exists, from matter to energy to the physical laws that govern this universe are a part and contained within the universe. Literally everything you can or cannot imagine exist within this universe. The edge of the universe is where the edge of our reality is. Theoretically, if you left the bounds of the universe, the physical laws that govern the way you are literally held together (the basic electromagnetic force, strong/weak nuclear forces, and gravitational *although this one doesn't hold you together*) are not there. Without those laws, you would theoretically cease to exist. You wouldn't fall apart like a gelatinous blob because even that is made of something, simply the matter itself just goes away like poof. Law of conservation of matter is a law of our universe so outside our universe that is not necessarily applicable. We can't send a probe to another universe, or some kind of electromagnetic signal because those are all made of some kind of thing from this universe. Perhaps we could send a probe with a kind of warp bubble which has a contained amount of space around it outside the universe, that way the probe could exist but then you run into so many problems. Stability (if such a bubble could even be maintained), movement to the next universe (a warp bubble moves by expanding and stretching space around it to displace in space, but outside the universe there is no space to expand or compress, so it just might be separate. Not separated by space like earth is separate from the moon, but just a distinct entity from our universe. Not way to say it is so far away from our universe or anything because we can't talk about it as soon as it leaves our universe. Then there's the problem of time because time is also an integral part of our universe, so if something left our universe and were to say come back, there's no telling where in time it would come back. You see in physics, time is kind of like another spatial dimension in the way it determines what part of the universe it is in. You have the three axes of space then a location in time. Without the constant constraints of time moving forward for our universe (arguable point I just made, but this one is the most generally accepted) then this probe could appear in the future or the distant past with no way for us to control it theoretically.

Dimensions are possible to prove, but extremely difficult. You see, we cannot simply see or detect the higher spatial dimensions. We exist only in three dimensions (spatial). The fourth would be inconceivable to us and can only be modeled in computers (that is not to say it exists, for we can model in a computer N spatial dimensions where N is some whole number greater than 0 *depending on computing power*). To test it, we look in extremely high energy particle collisions. You see, in super symmetry, there is one part that talks about in the early moments of creation, in the extremely, crazily, dense and hot early universe, matter could theoretically have been excited to a higher spatial dimension than just the three that we exist in (one possible explanation of dark matter). So we try to recreate that in the CERN particle accelerator. What it would look like to us is the particles collide, and then destroy each other to create a bunch of different tiny little pieces (ranging from bosons to quarks to neutrinos) which will then curve and follow paths that are predictable. However, in extremely high energy cases we hope that some of the particles will literally disappear from the detectors. No decay, just gone. This would be where the particle was excited to a higher spatial dimension. So far we have been unsuccessful in proving the theory, but CERN is currently getting an upgrade, so big hopes for the future :).

This could even be a wild goose chase. There might not be higher spatial dimensions, or if there are, this might be the wrong way to look for them. They have a few other ways to look for them, this is just the one I know more about.

So basically, its extremely difficult, hard, confusing, and strange to try and prove these two theories, but we are trying. I personally do not think we can "prove" alternate universes. However, it is an excellent theory that seems correct to me. However the technicalities are still hotly debated.

Hopefully that made sense :) sometimes I start to ramble, lol.

That's the interesting thing about dimensions and alternate universes. It might not be a matter of technology. Lets start with the universe one, its easier to explain. This is a fundamentally impossible thing to prove with direct evidence because of the following consideration. Everything that exists, from matter to energy to the physical laws that govern this universe are a part and contained within the universe. Literally everything you can or cannot imagine exist within this universe. The edge of the universe is where the edge of our reality is. Theoretically, if you left the bounds of the universe, the physical laws that govern the way you are literally held together (the basic electromagnetic force, strong/weak nuclear forces, and gravitational *although this one doesn't hold you together*) are not there. Without those laws, you would theoretically cease to exist. You wouldn't fall apart like a gelatinous blob because even that is made of something, simply the matter itself just goes away like poof. Law of conservation of matter is a law of our universe so outside our universe that is not necessarily applicable. We can't send a probe to another universe, or some kind of electromagnetic signal because those are all made of some kind of thing from this universe. Perhaps we could send a probe with a kind of warp bubble which has a contained amount of space around it outside the universe, that way the probe could exist but then you run into so many problems. Stability (if such a bubble could even be maintained), movement to the next universe (a warp bubble moves by expanding and stretching space around it to displace in space, but outside the universe there is no space to expand or compress, so it just might be separate. Not separated by space like earth is separate from the moon, but just a distinct entity from our universe. Not way to say it is so far away from our universe or anything because we can't talk about it as soon as it leaves our universe. Then there's the problem of time because time is also an integral part of our universe, so if something left our universe and were to say come back, there's no telling where in time it would come back. You see in physics, time is kind of like another spatial dimension in the way it determines what part of the universe it is in. You have the three axes of space then a location in time. Without the constant constraints of time moving forward for our universe (arguable point I just made, but this one is the most generally accepted) then this probe could appear in the future or the distant past with no way for us to control it theoretically.

Dimensions are possible to prove, but extremely difficult. You see, we cannot simply see or detect the higher spatial dimensions. We exist only in three dimensions (spatial). The fourth would be inconceivable to us and can only be modeled in computers (that is not to say it exists, for we can model in a computer N spatial dimensions where N is some whole number greater than 0 *depending on computing power*). To test it, we look in extremely high energy particle collisions. You see, in super symmetry, there is one part that talks about in the early moments of creation, in the extremely, crazily, dense and hot early universe, matter could theoretically have been excited to a higher spatial dimension than just the three that we exist in (one possible explanation of dark matter). So we try to recreate that in the CERN particle accelerator. What it would look like to us is the particles collide, and then destroy each other to create a bunch of different tiny little pieces (ranging from bosons to quarks to neutrinos) which will then curve and follow paths that are predictable. However, in extremely high energy cases we hope that some of the particles will literally disappear from the detectors. No decay, just gone. This would be where the particle was excited to a higher spatial dimension. So far we have been unsuccessful in proving the theory, but CERN is currently getting an upgrade, so big hopes for the future :).

This could even be a wild goose chase. There might not be higher spatial dimensions, or if there are, this might be the wrong way to look for them. They have a few other ways to look for them, this is just the one I know more about.

So basically, its extremely difficult, hard, confusing, and strange to try and prove these two theories, but we are trying. I personally do not think we can "prove" alternate universes. However, it is an excellent theory that seems correct to me. However the technicalities are still hotly debated.

Hopefully that made sense :) sometimes I start to ramble, lol.

And what do you think of the holographic universe concept?

And what do you think of the holographic universe concept?

I'm sorry, you will have to refresh my memory on what it talks about. Otherwise I'll have to do some quick reading.

I'm sorry, you will have to refresh my memory on what it talks about. Otherwise I'll have to do some quick reading.

In a hologram the whole is contained in each part

[video=youtube;lMBt_yfGKpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMBt_yfGKpU[/video]

Oh I loved that part about the size of everything. that was one of the best demonstrations of the difference in scale of the universe to what we perceive that I have ever seen.

Ok this is getting into the weirdest part of physics. Quantum physics. It is usually counter intuitive, sometimes extremely difficult to describe in language at all (some things I don't think we have the right words for). I know this theory by the name quantum field theory. I do agree with it, and only partially understand it. It is very complicated. However there are certain parts in that video where I would argue what is "real" and "not real". There is so much to this theory I won't get into it in this post, however if you would like to narrow our discussion to a specific part, we can start there. Otherwise, yes I do agree with this theory.
It is in fact this quantum field theory that predicts the virtual particles.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;lMBt_yfGKpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMBt_yfGKpU[/video]

This video is excellent, where did you find it? I kind of want to watch the other four in the series now, lol
At least I will when I have a lot more time, its a long video. I like how its not fast pace. You can't rush information that is that complicated. It's great it even goes and repeats things at some parts.

This is probably the best in depth and easily understood video on basic quantum mechanics I've seen.

This video is excellent, where did you find it? I kind of want to watch the other four in the series now, lol
At least I will when I have a lot more time, its a long video. I like how its not fast pace. You can't rush information that is that complicated. It's great it even goes and repeats things at some parts.

This is probably the best in depth and easily understood video on basic quantum mechanics I've seen.

Great!

Just do youtube searches under holographic universe and hopefully you'll find what you're looking for

Sorry i can't be any more specific than that!

Great!

Just do youtube searches under holographic universe and hopefully you'll find what you're looking for

Sorry i can't be any more specific than that!
Yeah I'll probably have to do that in like two weeks. Working this week and my sisters wedding is this weekend (very exciting, finally she will be someone else's problem *JK*). But I'll look forward to it then.

Yeah I'll probably have to do that in like two weeks. Working this week and my sisters wedding is this weekend (very exciting, finally she will be someone else's problem *JK*). But I'll look forward to it then.

Have fun and don't drink too much!

I don't think there is a case to claim that this abundant, naturally occurring substance is poisonous, irrespective of hysteria.

@muir Powdered glass and its smallest microscopic fragments can do the same thing - enter the body and pierce cell membranes. We don't start running around frantically trying to ensure that all glass is disposed of carefully, as a poisonous substance, do we?

Uranium is also abundant and naturally occurring, don't know too many people eager to carry a rod of it around in their pockets though! I don't think the "poison" they refer to can really be called a poison in the traditional sense, it's more like fiberglass-dust-in-lungs or coal dust (AKA Black Lung). I'd be more afraid of what molecular sized shrapnel would potentially do to plant and animal life in water though. If we lose that, then the human race is dead as we know it... at least we can be buried with neat little gadgets on our corpses though!

Anyhow, the next major scientific event that's going to change our lives won't be a micro-computing device or cell phone. It's going to the be 5 feet of sea water invading our coastlines in about 90 years. Yeah, the same one we've known about since the 1980's and have done jack shit to avoid... that's the one!

[video=youtube_share;TcZ4ojFy9TU]http://youtu.be/TcZ4ojFy9TU[/video]

Uranium is also abundant and naturally occurring, don't know too many people eager to carry a rod of it around in their pockets though! I don't think the "poison" they refer to can really be called a poison in the traditional sense, it's more like fiberglass-dust-in-lungs or coal dust (AKA Black Lung). I'd be more afraid of what molecular sized shrapnel would potentially do to plant and animal life in water though. If we lose that, then the human race is dead as we know it... at least we can be buried with neat little gadgets on our corpses though!

Anyhow, the next major scientific event that's going to change our lives won't be a micro-computing device or cell phone. It's going to the be 5 feet of sea water invading our coastlines in about 90 years. Yeah, the same one we've known about since the 1980's and have done jack shit to avoid... that's the one!

[video=youtube_share;TcZ4ojFy9TU]http://youtu.be/TcZ4ojFy9TU[/video]

If Venice learned to deal with seawater 600 years ago, I think we will manage, albeit without the humble gondola.
contemporary-public-light-art-arts-arte-biennale-venice-gondola-sculpture-manfred-Kielnhofer-sta.jpg