The Intermingling of Generations | INFJ Forum

The Intermingling of Generations

#@&5&49

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
Inf?
What do you think about the fact that the Internet creates an environment that allows different generations to intermingle on a regular basis on a variety of topics and subjects?

Do you find it interesting, boring, irritating, exhilarating, or whatever?

Do you prefer to relate to just people in your own age group or do you like a variety of generational differences?

How do you perceive the older generations?

How do you perceive the younger generations?

Any other thoughts about this?

Last edited:
What do you think about the fact that the Internet creates an environment that allows different generations to intermingle on a regular basis on a variety of topics and subjects?
  • Good because it's random. Those who feel comfortable sharing or engaging do. There are no limits. As long as you have something to say which interests other people, it's fair game. This openness fosters freedom to explore aspects of personality that are likely suppressed, hidden, or ignored irl. I think it's a good challenge to ageism, because you get to know the person beyond their age. You see things about them you wouldn't notice if you only paid attention to their age in real life.

• You can learn insights from the varying generations. You can see differing perspectives. It expands your understanding of the world, especially interacting with people from across the world. You realize similarities or differences which surpass age.

Do you prefer to relate to just people in your own age group or do you like a variety of generational differences?
  • A variety is good. I don't often relate to my age group because my life circumstances are not similar to my peers much of the time. I can't relate to much younger either, because of differences in experiences. However I can gain insight and learn something new from anyone willing to share their experiences. In other words, I tend to connect more with someone who has similarities in experiences or life circumstances. i am still very conscious of my age, but I know my sense of it and someone else's the same age may not be the same. My focus today is understanding the world more an individual, not necessarily fit myself into it by identifying with a particular group.

• I appreciate the insight, knowledge, and openness of this generation. I like their willingness to share their life experiences, and the perspective they can bring to an issue because of having seen more than those who are a generation younger.

• They are witty, open, expressive, and carefree. I envy how carefree they are. They have freedoms to make choices previous generations did not have. They're also pretty honest about how they view the world. I especially enjoy their passion for social justice and environmental issues, since I was never that civic minded when I was young. They are in some ways less tolerant and more tolerant. More considerations are given to young adults today than previous generations, and since it's expected and seen as a right, they may not realize how much had to happen for them to get those considerations today.

Reactions: #@&5&49
Growing up on the Internet, I can say that it has given me a lot of perspective on the human condition and general traits shared at any and all ages. So I view it as mostly a positive.

That being said, I've also grown up witnessing the abuse that can be created from it when either youth are taken advantage of or elderly are swindled in some way. It creates a larger pool for sharks to swim in.

I like infiltrating various demographics to get a good sense of their behavior and my ideas of various generations is always shifting, in part due to my own aging and new discoveries about what it means to be a certain age.

I don't think the Internet as it is in its current form today is ideal for generational mingling, but there are some great platforms and things are always improving. I also think it's important for age groups to mingle with and learn from their peers because you will more readily absorb new information from a person who is more similar to yourself.

[/INDENT]
  • They are witty, open, expressive, and carefree. I envy how carefree they are. They have freedoms to make choices previous generations did not have. They're also pretty honest about how they view the world. I especially enjoy their passion for social justice and environmental issues, since I was never that civic minded when I was young. They are in some ways less tolerant and more tolerant. More considerations are given to young adults today than previous generations, and since it's expected and seen as a right, they may not realize how much had to happen for them to get those considerations today.

To be perfectly honest, I would hold this against them.

I personally admire the experience and wisdom that the older generations can offer. Although I must say that if given a narrow outlook through life, some older folks are so dead-set on ridiculous beliefs and opinions that it is impossible to shake them out of it.

Top tip for the younger generation: Don't believe a word that Russell Brand says.

To be perfectly honest, I would hold this against them.

I personally admire the experience and wisdom that the older generations can offer. Although I must say that if given a narrow outlook through life, some older folks are so dead-set on ridiculous beliefs and opinions that it is impossible to shake them out of it.

Top tip for the younger generation: Don't believe a word that Russell Brand says.

Why would you hold it against them?

Why would you hold it against them?

Because almost every example of social justice within the current young generations I have witnessed is passionate for all the wrong reasons. Granted, you can have some very healthy social justice, particularly those that are fighting for human rights and LBGT issues in Third World Countries.

However, the younger generation in our Western societies prefer to censor free-thought, remind everyone of their racial and gender differences on University campuses, no-platform speakers they disagree with, set up censorship committees on social media outlets, exaggerate and manipulate statistics to suit their own ends, all of which they claim is 'social justice'. They even go as far as to sit at United Nations Committees to discuss the possibility of broader censorship on the internet against those that 'harass' young feminists (not harassment, just people calling them names). I mentioned Russell Brand because he has managed (in Britain especially) to create a cult following of young people via his YouTube channel which spent years misrepresenting the facts and deliberately cherry-picking the 'correct' aspects of society to criticise whilst blatantly ignoring other issues. I've seen this happen so many times that I am frankly fed up with it.

I don't wish to intrude upon the purpose of this thread by spamming videos, so I will post them to my blog.

It's great. To be honest, I don't get thrilled about interacting with people significantly younger than myself (early twenties and younger). I mostly enjoy the perspective of people who are around my age and older.

Like I said, mostly I like it, though it can be any combination of the above.

See above.

It really depends on the individual I am interacting with, but the ones I enjoy the most are those that have been thoughtful about their life experiences, are open-minded and generous in sharing in the information and experiences they have gathered.

I have trouble relating. There is such a larger focus on social media (and all the bizarre narcissism that comes with it), that there seems to be a greater degree of superficiality and lack of introspection. Yeah, I know, I sound like an old fart.

Any other thoughts about this?
I wish I could meet more older lady friends over the internet who would be willing to meet in person. I wish there was more of a focus on inter-generational friendships (between appropriate age-groups) in general.

I especially enjoy their passion for social justice and environmental issues

I think most people hop on the bandwagon, and their desire to continue their
"beliefs" is based on the attention they get via social media. But what do I
know? Call me a pessimist.

Reactions: PintoBean
Reactions: Kgal

Well, one of the great things about the Internet is that it provides us with more connectivity. Do you think I would have been able to hop into my car and stumble upon all these diverse opinions as quickly or as easily as simply logging onto INFJf?

What happens if I say "or whatever?"

I don't really think about age when I interact with people online, simply because I am more focused on the ideas that everyone is articulating. Moreover, age is just a number (and before you make a counterargument: I will admit that my claim is true only to a certain extent. However, for me, that extent is large enough to significantly impact my perception of people). My interactions with people are more determined by the conversation we can have and not the age they are.

People who use their pointer finger to type out texts slowly, one letter at a time.

Their iPhones are glued to their bodies. How stereotypical are these last two questions?

Too many questions for me.

I am reading about past generations currently. Times change people. Looks like a rerun with more sophisticated toys to me.

Listening to others helps keep us more open to the real world. Someone said something about older people being stuck in their ways and beliefs, citing them as almost stupid ways. I honestly cannot help but wonder what gives them the right to not understand others and try to make something of it. It makes me nervous knowing some people vote. It makes me more nervous knowing how little some know of world problems that are running for offices.

Guess I can at least listen to them. I have learned more about our youth on the internet than in real life. I worry for them.

Age is merely a number. Maturity on certain issues, how they handle themselves socially and how they contribute their humor is what catches my eye.

I tend to gravitate towards people who like delving into difficult unanswerable questions, and this is something that can be done at any age. I also appreciate kindness, compassion, and a sense of humor if I can understand it (LOL). These are also things that can be found at any age. Sometimes I gravitate towards people in my own age group simply because we're facing some of the same challenges at a particular time in life. I love it when I can stop seeing someone's age and just see them.