The INFJ's Visual Signature | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

The INFJ's Visual Signature

/resurrection

@Auburn

I have noted in myself and two of my previous teachers -- an INTJ and INFJ -- a tendency towards dramatic and instructive monologue. If my reads are correct*, is this a common facet of Ni? My understanding is that it's always trying to influence reality and the archetype of truthsharer certainly fits.

*Skepticism of another's read is expected, especially in a foundational and myth-debunking thread such as this. Regardless, I could almost feel a kind of liquid gravity surrounding them that directed every action, trying to exert itself upon reality and change their students' paradigms. I wish I had videos of them to show what I mean - it was like a world lurked behind their eyes trying to break free.

On a similar note, is there a particular type who is more adept at reading people than others?

Insanity. I believe I'd asked you already if some types go cuckoo the same way and you responded with a tentative affirmative. Reviewing some events of my life, I noticed some schizophrenic traits that correlated with an over-indulgence of introverted functions. *This is only said to suggest a possible correlation between severe type dysfunction and madness, not to self-diagnose.* Are you able to elaborate or offer insight into this?

Last edited:
@Radiant Shadow

Well, monologue belongs in the realm of the Articulate functions: Fe & Te. Ni in itself is nonverbal. It only informs the user with perception from which they decide how to position themselves and act on it. So no, it's not a facet of Ni. As far as dramatic effects go, they both have a different type of drama but yes, that would apply to both Fe and Te.

Though Ni leads definitely do have a gravity/inertia to them, a sort of viscous energy surrounding them. The viscosity of NiTe is, on average, more dense than that of NiFe's because NiFe's often learn how to make their Fe agreeable and light/crisp - reducing the viscosity. I can't say whether your teachers are the types you say, but here is an example of an NiTe whose part of our project and volunteered himself as an example of one:

http://vimeo.com/41451541

Notice the steadiness of the eyes, their penetrative gaze, the way they look a bit bored/tranced. There's also an air of certainty around him. He's not the type of person you can imagine being very spontaneous. This is probably one of the clearest examples of Ni eyes I can give.

As for whose the better natural people-reader, my personal opinion is that that's all the Ni/Se + Fe/Ti users. The nature of Ne/Si is too sporadic and unorganized to create elegantly fabricated maps in comparison with the auto-pilot mapping of Ni/Se. And the hypersensitivity that is Fe; a type of emotional radar that can't be turned off, further aides this --- creating a psyche that can't help but develop, over time, a map for how people tick.

Regarding insanity, so far I only have personal and incomplete anecdote on the subject. I definitely do believe types "go crazy" differently -- so long as we understand crazy is a loose word which only refers to a variety of psychic "states".

Y'see, under the exact same type of pressures and environments, certain types will grow ill while other types won't. Certain environments (let's say, loud noise and activity) will cripple certain types while not affect others. So depending on what specific type a person is, it will be very unlikely for them to develop certain specific disorders because their psyche is not tuned in such a way that it is sensitive or vulnerable to that psychic tangle. And inversely, others are. This is why I think that Ni doms, for example, are more prone to be "HSP" -- due to the way that un-sought-for, and thus intruding, Se stimulation can completely jack up the flow of their Ni; causing them to not be able to think at all, and even breakdown.

Another one I've noticed is Ne doms being prone to be Paranoia. The obsessive way Ne cycles through scenarios can cause them to think themselves into a corner if they becomed obsessed with a certain negative possibility. Y'see, for Ne, even something remotely possible is felt as truly possible --- and not fully dismissed by the psyche until tangible (Si) basis has been confirmed. And so because Ne users can generate possibilities at a faster rate than they can Si-confirm them, if they happen to be negative or fear-based musings, they won't know how to dispel the fears and will instead compound them to potentially manic levels.

Another one I've noticed is Fe dominants and Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Neat Link. The type of dependency-trap they fall into is something not all types can experience. For some, being neglected in childhood has devastating effects -- such as for Fe doms -- and develops unnatural templates from which to interact with other people. For others, they shrug and play with toys and grow up to be just fine.

And there's the obvious one which most people already suspect: ADD/ADHD. This is, imo, a misdiagnosis for Ne and Se dominant types who are just endlessly seeking stimulation with no sense of moderation. This almost insatiable craving for action and the fast racing of their thoughts leads to short attention spans --- but it is not unnatural, per se. The thought that it is abnormal is a thought belonging only to our present culture -- the homogenization of society. Modern psychiatry treats it as a disease and medicates it even though it's simply a different way of existing. Thus, being medicated for ADHD is about the equivalent as being stoned; it a drug that has an numbing effect on the brain, nothing more. There is no disease it is curing.

And I have my suspicions about OCD as well, but those haven't been investigated enough. I dunno too much about schizophrenia though I once heard it being related to Ni. Personally, I think Schizophrenia actually does hold hard-science to it, and even confirmed strong hereditary factors. So I wouldn't group it with the rest I listed or relate it to type; I'd say it's more similar to inheriting it just like colorblindness or other genetic attributes.

I hope these speculations provide a direction. I'm very fascinated and curious to know the reality of all this but typology isn't currently in the position where it can truly examine these things. After typology is more empirically established, then we may begin to answer these questions.

Wonderful questions btw. ^^

Last edited:
Sorry if this is too old a post. Well I find myself very much the typical INFJ and I agree with all of what you said about the visual cues, but I move very fast and quite explosive in my body language(maybe just me XD). Perhaps you were talking about something else though. I can see how other people might disregard this but thought I would say from my inevitably limited, subjective human perspective, I agree :D.

I, too, could not resist the temptation of bumping an old post.

I had the unfortunately experience of having somebody try to type me based on these so-called INFJ "signature" visual cues, and it is a transaction I regret having had, with what turned out to be a complete charlatan. He kept insisting that I had to be INFP because of how emotional I was becoming during our conversation (that being apparently indicative of my leading Fi), how my emotions could all be seen in my face, and that my eyes would often drift from here and there, as opposed to drifting to one fixed spot. All complete drivel...

Personally, I don't believe I go into that INFJ *penetrative stare* thing in social interactions because I am aware of how uncomfortable any prolonged staring makes the other person feel. While I am still prone to try to "see through" people, it doesn't get to the point where I lose complete awareness of my physical reality.

This is a followup to this thread, aimed more specifically at the understanding the INFJ personality type.

Although there is a variety in a type's expression, there is also a limited range which each type possesses, as well as a specific signature of expression. This signature, when learned, can be used to identify a personality visually - sometimes instantly. In this thread I will explain, to the best of my current ability, via impressions, what an INFJ actually looks like.
Perception Lead:

For a Perception-Dominant type (such as an INFJ), the Eyes are the most prevailing part of their face. They act as the driver/captain of the rest of their body, often steering the head and body in new directions. The eyes are the center of focus, while the rest of the face is peripheral and disconnected from them. This disconnect causes the face of a perceiver type to have two separate dynamics occurring at the same time. When they smile, the smile occurs in the peripheral and does not overtake/consume their eyes. This can cause a manic appearance as the eyes remain wide open at the same time they are smiling.

The hands and body of a Perceiving type have a fluid, ongoing quality to them. Their body follows the navigation of their eyes, and has a more loose feel to it. It has a rhythmic and syncopated nature - most notably in the way the head moves then the body catches up to it slightly afterward. Slight swaying is more common for this type.

Worldview Lead: - LIQUID | CONCENTRATED | SLOW-MOVING | DENSE | SAP-LIKE

As a worldview (Ni) lead, INFJs have an inertial quality to their body movements - as a type of slow-moving, thick liquid substance that courses quietly, steadily through them. Their eyes and brows carry a sense of gravity and intensity in them that channels itself through the rest of their body. Their head, particularly the eyes, will direct the rest of the body.

When moving, the body moves/leans as one mass rather than in separate segments, and their arm gestures are in synch with the direction of their eyes. When articulating, their brow will generally remain fixed and their eyes will concentrate. As an element, it resembles tree-sap. It is a liquid, yet a thick liquid. Worldview leads lack the strictness, solidity and axiomatic nature of discerners - being instead more visceral beings - yet having it's own form of firmness.

Ni Dominant:

The most distinct quality of Ni dominant eyes is their Steadiness. The eyes will appear focused, present and able to maintain contact on an object or person for long stretches at a time. Ni/Se eyes tend not to blink or divert their gaze as often as Ne/Si eyes. When changing focus point, Ni eyes will often move the whole head in the new direction as opposed to just the eyes.

When in deep thought or searching their memory intensely, their eyes may go out of focus and "zone-out". When this happens the brain becomes involved in a holistic, zen process and accesses all parts of itself in unison to find its perspective. As such they will often respond in universals - from a collective (rather than specific) perspective they have of reality.

Penetrative Stare:

The eyes fall into a dream-like state and stare off into the distance. The eyes will appear to be looking through the object of it's focus, rather than being fixated on it like Se or Si.

When the eyes come out of this state, they reconnect with Se with the environment, but not as strongly. Ni eyes have a mild penetrative quality to them at all times.

xYZ9m.gif
C7DPs.gif

Mesmerizing Eyes:

Ni eyes also have a hypnotic quality to them. Their steadiness and calmness can evoke a sense of tranquility in others, especially when combined with Fe. This happens unintentionally and is not malicious in itself, although some Ni users become masterful manipulators using this trait.

4fzm3.gif
X7oPD.gif

Fe Auxiliary:

Fe is identified most easily by the movements of the mouth and smile. For an INFJ Fe is secondary, as such, their smiles will be warming, impressionable, but the smile will not overtake the eyes. The steadiness of their eyes will prevail while a smile forms underneath them.

Fe's Warming ability will create a sense of assurance, acceptance and safety. It will make it known by it's words or body language that it considers you an ally. If the user is malevolent, the inverse is true. It will make it known that you are on it's bad side and create an atmosphere of hostility. But in each case, each word is meant to elicit a certain emotion in the audience.

Smile With Me:

This is one of the most signature Fe gestures. The user smiles and animates while staring at you, with the aim to amuse or surprise you with it's words. It is, more than anything, looking for a reaction of some positive variety.

They will pause for a little bit after speaking to see your reaction. The user may have a slightly tense look to them as they wait for your response. If you laugh, they will deflate their tension and laugh with you too.

XyQa8.gif
Y8bQw.png

Ti Tertiary:

The whole-mass movements of INFJs are sometimes broken by bits of tertiary Ti. The movements of Ti will be straightforward but a bit jittery/glitchy, possessing a sort of sophisticated awkwardness to them. Ti communicates mostly via hand movements, but the hands will stay confined within a certain radius of it's self and not impose upon the space of others.

Ti is best known for its Momentum Halting ability. When an INFJ is engaging in Ti, they will go silent while the face becomes flat/dead and the voice becomes stale. The eyes will also shut off or start deflecting as this occurs. Ti will sharply halt the momentum of the extroverted functions (Fe/Se) in order to process, and then release the breaks when finished screening the thought for clarity and precision, letting the flow continue again without much loss of energy.

Hence the INFJ, when articulating, will alternate between appearing lifeless one moment, then charming and passionate the next - speaking their words with a sense of conviction and want to impact the audience. The processing time of an INFJ will be Cooling, while the articulating will be Warming.

Se Inferior:

The most distinct trait of Se eyes is their ability to Lock-On. The eyes will connect strongly with the environment, latching onto objects with focus, often maintaining eye contact for long stretches at a time. Even when their eyes switch from one object to another, each new place they land upon is equally latched onto with intensity. The eyes of Ni and Se are one in the same -- it is a combination that alternates between zoning-out into space and then snapping back into reality and reconnecting.

For an INFJ, this reconnection will be a bit painful, disruptive and intrusive to their thought-drifting. The most natural state of Ni eyes will be in this serene, looking-through-objects state, but they may make an effort to muster more eye contact in conversation with others. However, even when "Locked-In", the eyes of an INFJ will still have a penetrative quality to them that may make others feel exposed.

Thanks for this. Didn't quite understand it all in it's complexity. Further processing and information will help, I'm sure. Pretty new to this stuff. Thank God I made it though! Have thought I was crazy hopeless for so long. Pieces of the puzzle coming together...

Perception Lead:

For a Perception-Dominant type (such as an INFJ), the Eyes are the most prevailing part of their face. They act as the driver/captain of the rest of their body, often steering the head and body in new directions. The eyes are the center of focus, while the rest of the face is peripheral and disconnected from them. This disconnect causes the face of a perceiver type to have two separate dynamics occurring at the same time. When they smile, the smile occurs in the peripheral and does not overtake/consume their eyes. This can cause a manic appearance as the eyes remain wide open at the same time they are smiling.

The hands and body of a Perceiving type have a fluid, ongoing quality to them. Their body follows the navigation of their eyes, and has a more loose feel to it. It has a rhythmic and syncopated nature - most notably in the way the head moves then the body catches up to it slightly afterward. Slight swaying is more common for this type.

Worldview Lead: - LIQUID | CONCENTRATED | SLOW-MOVING | DENSE | SAP-LIKE

As a worldview (Ni) lead, INFJs have an inertial quality to their body movements - as a type of slow-moving, thick liquid substance that courses quietly, steadily through them. Their eyes and brows carry a sense of gravity and intensity in them that channels itself through the rest of their body. Their head, particularly the eyes, will direct the rest of the body.

When moving, the body moves/leans as one mass rather than in separate segments, and their arm gestures are in synch with the direction of their eyes. When articulating, their brow will generally remain fixed and their eyes will concentrate. As an element, it resembles tree-sap. It is a liquid, yet a thick liquid. Worldview leads lack the strictness, solidity and axiomatic nature of discerners - being instead more visceral beings - yet having it's own form of firmness.

Ni Dominant:

The most distinct quality of Ni dominant eyes is their Steadiness. The eyes will appear focused, present and able to maintain contact on an object or person for long stretches at a time. Ni/Se eyes tend not to blink or divert their gaze as often as Ne/Si eyes. When changing focus point, Ni eyes will often move the whole head in the new direction as opposed to just the eyes.

When in deep thought or searching their memory intensely, their eyes may go out of focus and "zone-out". When this happens the brain becomes involved in a holistic, zen process and accesses all parts of itself in unison to find its perspective. As such they will often respond in universals - from a collective (rather than specific) perspective they have of reality.

Penetrative Stare:

The eyes fall into a dream-like state and stare off into the distance. The eyes will appear to be looking through the object of it's focus, rather than being fixated on it like Se or Si.

When the eyes come out of this state, they reconnect with Se with the environment, but not as strongly. Ni eyes have a mild penetrative quality to them at all times.

xYZ9m.gif
C7DPs.gif

Mesmerizing Eyes:

Ni eyes also have a hypnotic quality to them. Their steadiness and calmness can evoke a sense of tranquility in others, especially when combined with Fe. This happens unintentionally and is not malicious in itself, although some Ni users become masterful manipulators using this trait.

4fzm3.gif
X7oPD.gif

I can identify strongly with a lot of this, but I know for certain I can't be an INFJ. I relate to having fixed eye contact on a single object and also often seeing through things. I don't always notice what's right in front of me and I definitely don't have sharp recall for details. My stare is definitely penetrative, too. I credit this to my astrological makeup, since I have a lot of concentrated energy in the sign of Scorpio.

Bunk. I have seen many non-INFJs do the same thing, including an ENFP, INTJ, ISFP, and ISTP. I do this. It's really more of an individualistic quirk that doesn't seem to be type-related.

(I'm gonna reply to whoever's posts in this forum, cause other post trying to respond to, is so frigging long to erase. Lmao.)​

I completely agree, but not really since I am not into typology other than being interested in learning about myself ever since I discovered this missing personality (my dad always told me I have no personality, I cried a lot wishing I had one! Turns out I am an INFJ-T so can't say I am lacking personality, like I had once thought, then one time thought I had multiple personalities (sort of a funny story, not really. Pretty scary when I really believed it, and it really is pathetic of my dad who convinced me that I have no personality that would make me for who I am. Very pathetic, turns out I am definitely wrong) , which is interesting, but I'm just basically trying to figure something out what people see that I cannot see "myself"

Here's my sort of crappy answer. *Brain fog cause happens when I talk, or also typing*

I noticed when I speak to whoever, my face is so still, and "blank expressive" and yes,..when I smile I feel my doll eyes bulging larger and I barely blink unless I explain into full beyond details then I blink hard twice. Everyone seriously freaks out over me when I'm always quiet, walking casually and they jump up clenching onto their chests after seeing I have came into the room without a sound almost as if they thought I was standing there or I sometimes I would be for three minutes trying to contemplate something. And I'm always questioned sometimes why I never smile, I do but maybe I will if not forced to. (I don't really smile cause well reasons why, also my jaw is misaligned on top of the reasons so it's like when I smile it looks "fake" even though it's real, so I never "smile" cause of "reasons" unless something made me smile for no reason lol. Sorry if I don't make sense.) But I don't really know what all I do with my body movements cause I don't "see" myself, other than feel and see what's in the mirror. I've noticed how everyone accuses me of staring at them when, even though I may "look" at you to figure you out, but when I'm not looking directly at you, but an object for instance. I find people in front of me looking over at me giving a "What are you looking at?" Look plastered onto their faces like even if my eyes are looking at someone else and this other person thinks I'm looking at them or they ask me why I "death glare" when it's something I cannot control, it happens.. especially when you think or idk. It horrifies me and I quickly look away and scold myself not to stare at the wall or person cause staring is rude, but it's complicated a very complicated thing on why I observe, but not "stare" and when I stare I am thinking of who you are, I really don't know how to explain in a noncreepy way, I am not a creep, as others assume, but somehow I keep attracting creepy narcissistic men, which I don't know why! I mean heck I live with two controlling narcissistic people, but they are family and I need to help them, because I still love them even though I dislike them for making me upset or griping over why my "hair is so not in their league" *eye roll and cringe* sisters are the worst. So I can kinda get where this is coming from, but don't really get told much how I act or whatever other than look "laid-back or have soul staring eyes" as I'm told by everyone especially since I was younger...i somehow keep scaring people. Heh-- forgot what I was gonna type, Sorry lol. I'm confused now. What was I typing? Forget it... I'm posting this. I don't want to, but gonna so won't look like an idiot--which I already do, I'm sorry for being a lost soul here. Heh... I really forgot what I was gonna put. Is this forum about the eyes or movement's? Ehh.. I can't type if I'm trying to also think about my current ideas...Not sure what I was going to do a minute ago.) lol. Sorrye~e I'm so lost!

Heh.. *flusters from embarrassment* -.- forget whatever I typed! I'm very exhausted...even for typing. But hope whatever I mentioned of helps if it counts. I'm so sorry lol. O-o please don't judge meeeeh.. Peace~ (This happens to me a lot. On other forums, it makes me so mad how I lose my thoughts sometimes.)

(JK version)
- great at making derpy faces when no one is looking.
- have a gaze that is half-sleepy and half-annoyed when alone
- like to imitate the face of The Shining's Johnny when bored
- An avid air conductor and drummer

(Serious version)
- The eyes. INFJs' eyes are warm and compassionate, usually looking straight (not deviated and diffusive like Ne eyes) and containing a lot of weight
- I noticed many Ni doms seem to have very focal point in their gaze that seem to almost give their eyes the illusion that they are crossed.
Visual example: Marko from Introvertspring.com https://introvertspring.com/top-10-infj-careers/ He has one the most obvious INFJ's gaze I've ever seen.
- The overall face and demeanor gives off friendly and polite vibe, but calm, tranquil and somewhat distant.
- The rhythm of INFJs' physicality is weird, as if in syncopation, such as the body not catching up with the mind, or lips not catching up with the speech, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandie33 and Wyote
When in deep thought or searching their memory intensely, their eyes may go out of focus and "zone-out".

I live in this zone about 75% of the time. I even find my eyelids narrowing, as if to keep out unnecessary sensory distractions.

Reactions: Sandie33 and Wyote
Heya @Radiant Shadow
I was actually just thinking of you, as an example.
I was hoping you'd reply.

I suspect you're indeed INFJ,
just from a picture I saw of you in the members picture thread.
Although still images aren't complete verification.

The Ni Drifting you experience, we believe, happens when in deep thought or searching your memory intensely. The eyes may go out of focus and "zone-out". The eyes drift off because they need to disengage from the environment in order to go into the mind.

We suspect this happens when what Dario Nardi observes as the "Zen" effect is occurring and the brain becomes involved in a holistic, zen process and accesses all parts of itself in unison to find its perspective.

I try not to type actors while in acting, but most actors don't act during interviews, which makes it possible to type them accurately as well. Although I think it also isn't impossible to type via film, but it depends on the skill of the actor. Johnny Depp, for instance, is damn hard to type in films because he's so good at transforming his persona.

True. When I think of Fe there’s going to be a difference in opinion based on how it appears that Fe is all acting rather than a personal control to adhere to the feelings of others in that very room. Whether it appears as acting or simply not attempting force to ease another into this insight without forcing the matter. Tbh we’re all flawed, any type of insight into an unconscious opinion, behavior, or bias has the potential to be uncomfortable (though I wouldn’t claim it acceptable to remain there).. therefore that infamous doorslam when change isn’t occurring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandie33